rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doggod

doggod Registered

@ FFB Dev

This is something that has been bugging me on a number of games that support ffb wheels
    I'm hoping that ye can be the first to clear it up with rfactor 2

The issue is driver settings used by devs when testing the ffb is not information
    that is ever posted with the game(whatever one it is)

If driver settings(im on a g27) can effect the ffb can ye please post the ones that ye used
    so everyone has a base from where to start adjusting (if the user feels its necessary)
    so for me i would need

Logitech driver settings for G27
    Overall effects strength %
    Spring effects strength %
    Damper effects %
    etc

Users should get this info for each wheel that the game is going to support
    and a test car(this can be one in game) that has been tuned with a locked tuning settings profile that ye used
    and a particular track picked as a ffb test track(this can be one that is in game)

Now when everyone gets the game they follow the info for their wheel and go and
    test using the same car, the same tuning and on the same track
    see how the like or dislike(this will always be personal)
    but at least everyone is on the same settings for that first run
    eg all g27 users are getting exactly the same feel etc
    same for other users wheels.

Hoping that this is not an unreasonable request

PS if ye are designing a system that is going to bypass the driver settings
    can ye test that those driver setting do not change the feel of the ffb
    and make that info known

2. Wayne Reed

Wayne Reed Registered

That was a good read after so long with not hearing any thing. There is a lot there that just sounds awesome. I really cant wait for the base game to get here now. One thing I would like to ask is will it be more easy to get skins in the game or are you looking to have the system about the same as now?

3. RoguePossum

RoguePossum Registered

Awesome. Nice to get some info. This certainly cleared up alot. Something I was wondering (no hurry for an answer as I'm aware you're all VERY busy) Will the AI be tied to the new tire model same as player? So as to eliminate the AI tyres being miraculously warmed up by the first corner. :confused:

Really looking forward to RF2. Cant wait, and Thankyou for taking the time out to give some feedback to the Q's.

4. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Thanks for the update Tim! :beer:

5. michael1

michael1 Banned

looks good i have built a pc just for rfactor2 + a leauge i am just waiting for the new simulator.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

How do you think rF2 is being funded now? :) How was rF1's development funded post initial release?

ISI has many types of business which keeps things healthy.

7. Pau

Pau Registered

Will the headlight receive more attention with rF2? I mean, it always has been unsuited for night racing conditions, I found the on-road projection not illuminating sufficient and/or correct. For example, Enduracers had to adapt their headlight projection in order to increase visibility and night racing feel, same with HistorX and the Toyota Supra mod(they've also pioneered light flare in rF, which is another feature worth considering).

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Should stop a lot of situations where the winner is always the guy with the best setup. That guy might have enough change to cope with now to give others a chance.

I'm not aware of anything in place at this point. As Gjon always says to us though, the initial release is what we think you want and further releases would be based on feedback, etc.

The problem I see with long repairs is the lack of 'playability' for most users. Certainly something to consider though.

Safety car issues I've seen are usually mod related. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that.

Some kind of tow functionality as you suggest is worth consideration as a part of the long repair.

You guys should really enjoy the changes with rF2. As the quote at the end of the video says, you'll REALLY see those changes. Even driving into a turn under a shadow can affect your grip with the weather system, so you guys will have a lot to deal with, especially as it transitions to nighttime.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This is really awesome news!! :D:D

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Tim, yes, we will be enjoying rF 2 as it is for sure, but... rF 1 is missing many important endurance racing related features, that should not be that hard to implement, but are somewhat significant. One of them, is the ability to rejoin the race. Then, you have all sorts of repairs that are not available in rF 1: from such simple as replacing broken discs and worn out pads to significant suspension damage.
    Endurance racing in rF 1 is only about drivers... while in real world, it's more about car reliability (and then the drivers). That really makes the difference!

11. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

I don't quite know exactly what you mean by 'playability'...perhaps that we'd be sitting there doing 'nothing' while the repairs were going on? For most of us during an endurance race, that's a pee break, water break, mental break, etc. To recycle an earlier example, when Audi Team Joest fixed that rear suspension in 15 minutes, the driver (Dindo Capello I believe) sat tight in the cockpit and had a sip of whatever elixir he needed :cool:

Now I can totally see how there may not be much use of 'long repairs' for the weekend racers or sprinters, but it's awesome features like these that would give Endurance racers a permanent home with rFactor 2 :)

12. sg333

sg333 Registered

On this subject, has there been much improvement with night time regarding lights, shadows, reflections etc? Its the kind of thing that can really add atmosphere to racing sims

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

@RMayfield
    Exactly! First of all, "weekend drivers" probably will never participate in a true endurance events...I think there's no need to explain that :) A different attitude is required... 24h race is not a 20 minut sprint so not every one will try that.
    Another thing - how long such repairs will take - depends ONLY on mod creators. Suspension repair might take 10 seconds (lol, much shorter than refuelling a GT1 car) or 30 minutes. It is up to us to setup such things.

And I don't see much connection between beeing or not able to replace damaged suspension, brakes etc. and the time specified in the file, how long such repair will take.

As for safety car improvements.
    Can it be possible to allow real players to drive SC (as a proper SC, not a typical car placed in standard garage, but with SC livery or stuff like that).
    And maybe a small cosmetic change - in real world, there is a pace car and a safety car. Each of them is active during different situations. In rF 1 there is only one kind of car. Can that be upgraded to what (I think) should be available?

Also, please add a marker at which SC lights are turned off before race start or restart. In rF 1 SC have active lights all the time up to a point where it stops in the pits.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  14. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Ok :). I understand that we`ve got many updates for rF1 for initial payment, but I just worry. Payment model of other title I mentioned for me is crazy. If rF2 will cost somewhere near what rF1 price was, I`ll be happy.

15. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Thx for the Q&A and other updates Tim (and the rest of the ISI team), the info about the new tyre, weather and road models and how they interact is positively tantalising, I'm looking forward to rF2 all the more now!
    Regarding repairs in endurance races (my preferred sort of racing btw), just as we now have time-scaled options for mechanical failures and the day-to-night cycle, couldn't we similarly have time-scaled repairs? If I compress a 6-hour race into say 2 hours, the daylight and mech. failures can be scaled at 3x, why not repair times as well? A repair time that's normally defined as 30 minutes would then take 10.

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thanks for the Q&A.

Some of them yes, but not all. I've posted a list of issues we had with SC in NASCAR and IndyCar series on RSC forums and on this forum.

By the way - speaking of ovals - spotter in rFactor couldn't keep up with the pace of IndyCar racing on ovals. In reality spotters don't say: "You've got car on the inside." - they just say "Inside, inside".
    Also, they don't work like FIFO queue. If something new suddenly comes up, they will drop what they're talking about and get you up to date. You don't tell IndyCar driver his laptime if he's approaching T1 apex with another car on the inside. You also don't waste time on telling him, he's 2-wide, if a third car just got involved.

17. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

I run an F1 league and we strive to keep the rules as close to real and current as possible. With that...

Will there be parameter settings to force the use of any number compounds within the tires files provided in a mod? Such as rfactor will detect that (in F1's case) only one of the two the compounds was used and therefore your end result will be a DNF. Or we should be able to set what the penalty will be. Can there be away to so in the race result output file when a driver pitted and what tires was put on? For our league, we have our starting temperatures for both compounds different for easier detection, but we have to review DAQ style files, it's a pain... Or another way to do this would be allowing real tire side wall graphics change with the compound type? IE, driver started on hards (side color is Red) pitted and changed to softs (side wall color should change to white).

Will we be able to force the use of the compounded used in Q, to be used at the start of the race? In Rfactor 1, you tell the rFm to force which number drivers to start on Q tires but the drivers could still start on a different tire (even though that % would still be gone, none the less, it's still the incorrect tire). We can parc Ferme the tires to force this but then we can not change the compound during the race, which in modern F1 we need to use both compounds.

Any idea if F1 KERS style boost will be available to match true F1 parameters? (6.8 seconds available at the push of a button per lap giving 80ish extra horsepower. The 6.8 seconds can be used as we see fit, all at once or broken up during the lap)

Thoughts on F1's DRS system, the driver can hit a button the steering wheel to make the rear wing move 50mm to reduce drag on the straights until they hit the brakes. (long shot but I figured I'd ask :p)

On race lap times. Will/can there be options to see the sector times and sector intervals to your best race lap? What about having options to veiw against your best lap or the race leader's best lap or the fastest lap over all? This way we will be able to gauge performance during race rather than just seeing an interval to the next closet drive ahead or behind.

PS I think that tire model video is amazing!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  18. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

No need to waste time on something which is clearly a waste of time and effort on the real thing! :) Someone in F1 loves the idea of KERS and is reluctant to let it die. But it will die, and probably quite soon based on the first race.

That stupid wing flap will go next, I hope. The FIA need to remember that sometimes "less is more" and I think the same can probably be said for rF2. There's no way a small team can deliver every feature this community wants, and do it well. So as long as what they deliver is solid, and has some flexibility to allow modders to do their thing, I'm sure just about everyone will be happy in the end.

Or at least as happy as sim racers ever get. ;-)

19. nommura

nommura Registered

In the video shows the maximum graphics settings?

Ugly graphics. The game does not look attractive.
    Can you show at least a screenshot with the highest graphics settings, HDR, and Blur?

Now I do not see the graphic difference between rFactor1 and rFactor2.

Look at the screenshot GTR 3 of the company SIMBIN. The game is not ready yet, and may be at an early stage of development, but she looks very at.
    [​IMG]

20. DeDios

DeDios Registered

+1. I'm totally agree. We need more endurance racing features :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.