rFactor 2 WIP Drying line video time lapse

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 6, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLH_8PxiD5E
    or
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150097752355827

Starting out at full wet at the start of the session and scheduled to get lighter then stop raining about half way through, this is obviously a lot less random than most races racers may do when the product is released. Things to watch out for include clouds and shadows shifting (according to wind and sun direction), light coming and going according to the clouds moving overhead, the wet reflectiveness going away, the rubber build up and eventually the marbles, too. Things to note are that this is work-in-progress.

The laps to create the dry line were done with AI. When a human is driving (or the AI decides multiple lines work) where you drive actually determines where on the track is dried or rubbered in. You can see a dry and then rubber line starting to build into the pitlane as well as around the race track. There was also two incidents going into that turn which created additional skidmarks on the apex and just outside of the apex during the 1hr 30mins the footage was captured from. Usually I captured each 5 seconds just after a pack of cars had passed, the racing line would get partially wet again shortly afterwards before the next group.

None of the cars you might sneak a peek of are new, we've released some sort of media picturing them.

--

Thanks to everyone who helped so much with replacing my rendering presets for video. I now have something extra to backup when I format my PC. :)

2. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

Awesome !!

Now we need to get a video of you driving, the difference between wet vs. dry grip and how shade provides cooler track temps ;)

3. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

The wet track effects are stunning as well as marbles. And the reflections too. I also like the lighting+fog at the horizon towards turn 1.
    A few things that don't look good in this preview are the crowd, the white lines and curbs (lack of AA), grandstand shadow (could do with more blur on the edges).
    Just saying. I do realize it's work in progress.

Impressive stuff! Thanks, Tim.

4. 88mphTim

All very valid. :) Thanks for the feedback guys.

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Nice!, Does the line dry from cars driving over it or does it dry all by itself?

6. 88mphTim

From cars driving over it. Same as the rubber build up. It's quite a technology leap how it actually works. My jaw dropped the first time I was shown it. It's bigger than any video can probably make it look.

7. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

My jaw dropped when I heard about it about 2 years ago in Gjon's interview with ISR. It's THE thing I'm most looking forward to. It's nice to see it in a video. Especially when it looks every bit as good as I hoped. Now I hope it won't take 2 years more to feel it under my fingertips. ))

8. Nibo

Nibo Registered

It`s maybe most awesome feature of rF2. Great to see it working like that. You can see marbles forming outside of a turn! :)
    I understand that work is not finished, but bold rubber line appearing from 1:50 goes not only in turn, but also through all start-finish straight. Bold "rubbering" on a straight looks not very realistic. Excuse me, if this is something you already working on, but not finished yet. Just wanted to give an opinion.

9. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

Oh forgot the mention. The Grandstand in the wet has a reflection thats really detailed, but it does not move. In the dry you cannot see it. Would it move with the sun? Because it stayed in exactly the same spot for an hour game time. Or am I thinking of shadows... hmm

10. 88mphTim

The shadow you mean? The shadows do move, but I also don't think the shadowing is final yet.

11. beatnik

beatnik Registered

Tim, you boys are making it harder and harder for me to take iRacing seriously anymore. Seems as if ISI works on a game engine to improve physics and realism while the "other" company crams new content down our throat that isn't even completed yet. I love you guys. =)

Forgot to mention this video inspired me to race...but I can't race this yet lol.

12. CiuppiTrulli

CiuppiTrulli Registered

Very, Very, Very Good!!! Only one thing I would say, if I can ... The reflection of the objects (tribune) may be too much. It is good that the details of the flare has less of 'the original, but it looks too much on' asphalt, I think you should see a little 'less. Excellent reflection after the minute 1.26 (video on facebook, I think you see better than Youtube). Thanks Tim and thanks to ISI, I slept a little just to see the result of rendering lol. Nice work Tim :)

13. dragon

dragon Registered

This is really good and makes an electrifying impression. Now look forward to the premiere.
    Please try to make the game as soon as possible and not wait too long.
    Once again, bravo for the good work and I see a bright future for this product. ;D

14. Senna94

Senna94 Registered

Very Nice. Good Work

15. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

In my opinion the reflections of the tribune are stunning , its not to much ;)
    The rain looks very nice, only thing what misses yet ( or I didn´t notice it) are spray-effects when the raindrops arrive to the bottom ;)

16. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

Tim, thanks for returning the illusion

17. Edgar Herrero

Edgar Herrero Registered

OMG, This looks beautiful! Can't wait for the release :) and... which is the car that appears? Formula ISI?

18. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

Fantastic video. Can't wait for the release !

19. (SKS)Discipline

(SKS)Discipline Registered

The effects are awesome. I can hardly wait to test it by myself :)
    xTr3me is right, it would be nice to see raindrops droping on the street. Currently it looks a little bit "sterile". In the video the rain looks a little bit like a curtain in front of the rest.

How do you handle the grip-level of the street while drying?

20. Senna94

Senna94 Registered

Can you do that so that f.e. in some curves raining and not raining in some curves?
    that would be nice :)