rFactor 2 WIP - Heat Haze

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Obviously those of us in the USA have been celebrating Thanksgiving the last couple of days, but one of the developers managed to sneak some time to capture a bit of video for me (and you).

Quality should improve a little, but the original was 960x540 anyway, so I did my best when rendering.

Can also be viewed (possibly with better clarity) here:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=472963525826\
    facebook seems to to a better job of protecting fine detail.

It's showing the effects of the exhaust heat on the visuals. You should see a 'blurry' effect where the heat is rising from the exhausts. Scott mentioned particulate effects, etc, here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/83-rFactor-2-Track-Progress?p=4030&viewfull=1#post4030
    Obviously this is a small part of the bigger picture coming together but again we hope you appreciate the insight. :)

2. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

4. V6_

V6_ Registered

That looks great. I bet it would look better once that haze turns into a fire after an engine overheats :).

5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Very cool guys and it just gets better and better with each video. Little touches like this really add to the immersion.

6. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Amazing, and FONismo couldn't say it better, it's small touches like these that really add to the experience!

Thanks!

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Great result, and the flags are moving. Good, real life is comming in rF2, great job. Keep pushing !!

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It's amazing each time we learn something new about rf2. You sit here wondering if certain things are going to be present and before you know it, those things are announced! :D
    I had in mind to start working on something like this for the road by attaching a mesh to the skybox and adding a semi transparent image animation to it, same for exhaust and engine.

Nice work guys!

9. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Registered

Just amazing! Those are the things that breathe life into it! I know it's WIP, but maybe it seems to be stuttering because of the video quality?
    I think the effect's refresh speed alone is what can bring it closer to real life (raising it).
    Great stuff!

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It looks really nice, even it's still a WIP!
    Are those flags waved by real-time wind are are still some HQ animated place holders (those further back on the second part, with Meganes, are definatelly animated in loop)?

11. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Stuttering is a result of the video compression. It looks smoother and more noticeable ingame.
    Flag animations are currently not hooked up with the wind system (direction, intensity).

12. Peter

Peter Registered

Looks great! This was not even an effect I had considered could be included. :)

13. Marek Lesniak

Thanks Luc. So it looks we can expect quasi-physical interaction between them. Fair enough! :)

14. afborro

afborro Registered

Looks great, keep it coming :)

only minor comment, and at that a tentative one, as the monitor I view it from is not my usual one, but the atmoshpere, colours, hues seem to be that of a rather cold time of day, but also the effect is quit subtle and not too strong here, as perhaps should be for that kind of condition. Am I reading into to it too far ? but could it be true that the heat haze effect and its severity is actually linked into the dynamic weather system and atmoshperic conditions, so say at Sepang for example, in the blazing heat it would be more noticable, that would be awesome. I'll dream on :)

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'll admit it, first time watching that video I thought "Whats Tim smoking? I cant see anything!", closer inspection second time around and "aahh there it is.....cooooooool!"
    Really good effects guys, its those little things that add everything to a game for me.

16. Marek Lesniak

Guys, you are watching compressed videos on the internet. The effect is definatelly slightly more intense in-game than what we see.

17. sg333

sg333 Registered

Interesting effect. Its hard to see i admit in such a small and compressed video, but looks nice. Flags are looking good too.

Anyone recognise the track the Meganes are on? Not much to go on i know but im wondering if thats a new or upgraded track

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Heat haze looks good. Hope it is dependent on local air temperature.

19. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Looks great as always!

20. shum94

shum94 Registered

If they were communicating with 1080p vids on youtube... You wouldnt need second watch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykAL4EznULg
    This is rFactor 1 and it looks better trackwise and video compression wise.

Anyway i like the megane in this video.