Season Costs for Drivers/Teams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Nov 25, 2010.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Heres an idea that just came to me over at GRC, during a season (online or off) the damage to cars costs the driver or teams throughout that season, just as in real life. If setup correctly this could be a deterrent for those 'Dive Bomb' moves some people make, they would think "wait a new left front panel will cost £X amount...I'll wait for a better passing chance"....like that.

If run properly by a league I see no reason why it would'nt work:

- Each Driver/Team starts of with X amount of money
    - At the end of each race the Server Admins Results Page shows the damage to each car (somehow automaticvally parsed)
    - Based on certain criterias for each damaged part to a car it costs that Driver or Team X amount of money to repair
    - Drivers/Teams who fall short of money start the next race with slightly damaged cars until they can afford to repair them again.

There are of course Pros & Cons to a system like this, but there would be alot of give & take with various elements so that it could be tweaked to a Leagues ideal, it also opens up a world of "Monopoly Money" for the Server Admins to use during a season (Win amounts etc)

I just think if there was a system like this in place it would serve to make racing that touch more realistic and better, as I said people would take less risky moves and think more about their driving.

Thoughts?

2. O11

O11 Registered

I like.

3. V6_

V6_ Registered

I definitely support this, rF1's season system was extremely basic and simple and needs a huge improvement.

Also including the Race 1, Race 2, etc. upgrades that Formula IS had into the season more fluidly.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  4. mantazzo

mantazzo Registered

well, i like that idea, but what about sending some parts 'from the base' if you're out of some parts like front wing... :)

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I rather would see more flexible rFactor system than build in features.
    If we start to require build in features - there will be always some lacks. It's quite impossible to implement all rules from the world racing series/leagues. Moreover, the rules are changing from time to time. Finally, after some time we would get not satisfied product from features point of view

But, if rF will offer some API which makes possible to control whole engine by plugins, it will do the job. Even without plugins, it may reports some data being able to import it again. For example: damages. It makes possible to get this data, calculate some penalties/costs and whatever you want on league side, and push it back to the game affecting racing event.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  6. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

I sure would like to have such a system on a voluntary bases, so people can choose if they like to simulate motorsports with or without the cost aspect. Built in it would make the simulation more complete out of the box, by plug ins it would cost less to develop and possible be better executed eventually. Either form it would be nice to have in rFactor2.

7. doggod

doggod Registered

What about the guy who is racing clean only to be rammed of the track ( not necessarily deliberately) and ends up with a massive repair bill
    Apart from that i like the idea, older rally games even up to original dirt had a system like that except it used time to repair as a measure rather than money
    It could be a good single player mode.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's upto the leagues admins to punish "rammers", they could also deem the repairs Free if the rammer gets banned or something.

9. mikeward

mikeward Registered

there is a league out there that already does something like this.

10. unrealnoise

unrealnoise Registered

i like your idea. :)

11. SickSquirrel

SickSquirrel Registered

I think such a system is more important in offline racing.
    I think if you want to do this online, all the stuff like which car you own, your amount of money, etc. must be saved on a ISI server. If not, can everybody cheat.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No, it would be saved to the leagues server, this idea isn't meant for pick up racing. the leagues admin would dirty out any potential cheaters or hackers like they would anyway regardless of what system was in place. Of course this idea would also be great for offline racing, bringing the simulation closer to reality is what I'm striving for here :)

13. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

In my opinion, speaking about online, ISI job could be to create the basement for such feature.

I mean, making replays with physical data.

Then, someone for sure could create a tool like Replay Analyzer for Nascar 2003

http://n2003replayanalyzer.pike.nu/

which was able to read many info from the replay, damages too

http://n2003replayanalyzer.pike.nu/examplesite/Mechanical.html

When you have listed the damages, is not hard for leagues to build their own financial management system.

I raced, years ago, in two leagues having an advanced financial management system, with Nascar 2003, and i have to say when you know your team has to pay virtual money for your mistakes, the driving becomes a lot more mature ... lol wreckers were fired pretty soon to avoid financial problems and bankrupt to the teams! :)

But, i have no clue atm if rF2 will store physical data in the replays. Lets hope.

14. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

Hey Max, you raced with Shawn Purdy and Derek Wood?

15. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Shawn and his dad raced in WORRL, yes.
    WORRL was an RC league, using N2003, which had an advanced financial management system, and i was a cofounder of that league.

Derek Wood dont remember, sorry. :)

I raced with Purdy family also in rFactor, in MNRL, but in rFactor the result.xml lists the strenght of the impacts, not the damages, so it is more difficult to run an efficient financial management system, and MNRL didnt use it.

16. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

Ah, ok. I remember Shawn telling me once about a financial management system in a sim, and seen it mentioned here so I thought you guys ran together, and so you did :)

17. Bill Zimmerman

Bill Zimmerman Registered

If someone asks, it's possible Tim may move this into Rf1 and RF2 for you. We use it in the Official ARCA series, and enjoyed the results. Based on Money system and damage. Pro series drivers not only had to worry with finishing position, but also how much money was spent in the race itself. He had some refinements he was working on, our results were beta and it was tweaked through as we went through the season last year.

Some result files here:
    http://arcalm.com/tsf/

Actual website:
    http://arcalm.com/

18. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Great Idea-Can you imagine actually going into a Turn 1 and seeing Brake lights and no damage !!
    I for one would like to see this implemented-

19. Geoff Dodge

Geoff Dodge Registered

Just playing devil's advocate, but what about the innocent driver that gets clobbered in real life. somebody has to pay that repair bill as well. i think it would be an interesting on and offline idea which would add to the immersion of the game. similar to when a driver in real life knows a crash means the end of a season, race weekend, unfortunately for some a career. I really think properly implemented something like this could make things a lot more realistic, especially during a race weekend. you cant crash your way to figuring out the best approach to a circuit in practice, or run 3 laps in an open session that end with large crashes before hanging on to the 4th and going quick time.

20. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Definitely for this, as long as it's a virtual currency and not real money.

In NASCAR SimRacing's Career Mode, if you scratched your car up slightly but never got more than that throughout the course of a race, you could choose to repair the car, or leave it alone and start the next race with a slightly damaged car. Only worked in Career Mode though, not online. I would love to see a feature like that extended to online racing.