A Belgian country drive - rFactor 2 WIP video

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

From what I know, it goes in the other way. They were always doing big projects for companies and at some point decided to go by the way, into gaming sector. I think we can say, rF 2 is in fact just a side project compared to what they were/are doing everyday.

2. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

A valid point--agreed. What I referred to was if you could mark a time when all of us said "rF2 is now our primary focus--all hands on deck" as it were, then that was about a year and a half ago. Most certainly we were planning and talking long before then, and some new elements that went into other various products found their way into rF2 in some form. So, we're both right in a sense :)

I FEEL it will be a huge step forward in the areas that matter most to a racing sim. The art is a good step forward, not a huge, ground-breaking one, but our system DOES allow for future expansion, so I'm not at all worried. The way the car feels and how the track reacts to it, in my opinion, is huge. The way the AI race you, while not yet perfect , is a huge step, and our plans to help reduce cheating and mismatches is a huge step as well. Hopefully the majority of the community will agree. That said we can't please everybody, so who knows :p

3. Marek Lesniak

Thanks for information :)

Can we expect, that you will have a good use of DX9.0c? I mean, we know that even though rF 1 use DX9.0 (SM2.0b? ) API, but in many aspects it use algorithms.. let's say it, not that good like we could expect ;-)
    You know, proper lighting/shading techniques, stuff like that? I'm not worring about the physics. We can already assume it will be at least very good :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010
  4. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

There are several improvements over rf1 in terms of lighting, reflection, and graphics.

5. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Maybe someone from the devs should answer those questions.:)

6. shum94

shum94 Registered

If you read his posts you'll notice he's talking like he has rF2 in his HDD, beta tester maybe.

I'm hoping for a February release, patch could come in july 2011 releasing the true potential of rF2 but i really like to have the sim in february-march 2011.

7. lightspeed

lightspeed Registered

I think rF1 has features that are more advanced then iRacing, making iRacing outdated to some point so I have no doubt rf2 will be a huge step foward for all simers.

By looking at the screen shots I know the graphics will be plenty for me but what just really made me very happy to read was when Tim said: ''The way the car feels and how the track reacts to it, in my opinion, is huge.''
    That should be the number one priority for any good sim! After iRacing came out I couldn't race rf1 anymore because of the lack of feeling of the cars and the look of the tracks but now hopping rf2 will fix that so I can race porshes and ferraris and a bunch more cars that I'll never see in iRacing.

Can't wait! oh is rf2 still supposedly going to be a 2010 release? It's dec 9th... still no news on a release date, doesn't leave a whole lot of time guys... ;) but I guess you guys know that :p

8. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

Full Ack!!!
    The video confirms Tims quote :)

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'd always argue it's terribly hard to see how a car would feel from a video. There's usually some cool nuances you can see on a video that are good things, but you guys will not 'feel' something just from a video. Videos can show some cool stuff though. :)

10. O11

O11 Registered

Show us then!!! Please!!!

I've got a few days off from school now, I'm checking the forums and blogs all day for news about RF2, the new Thrustmaster wheel and NetKar's rain addition. I'm going MAD!!!

Onboard rain laps in the Nissan plz, plz, plzzzzz!!!

11. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Don´t hesitate to show us some cool stuff.:eek: But it´s up to you to decide when we will see the new stuff.:p

Rock on, ISI!:cool:

12. Marek Lesniak

There's always the right time to show us some good stuff :D

13. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

Tim, I would say, good physical vehicle dynamics have to result in good visual vehicle dynamics, this is just the first lesson, but this lesson passed rF2 very well, not to forget your meaningful opinion. :)

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

I agree, that visual is very important but if i have to choose (visual or physical) i would choose always the physical.
    Better good invisible tech / physics, than good looking one with unrealistic invisible calculation.
    rf2 mechanical physics will be the "kick ass" feature.

Of course a visible (just in replays) tire deformation sells better, cause this makes people believe its realistic.

15. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Registered

Speaking of racetracks made out of racing movies, about the possible historical racetracks to be done oficially y ISI, I would really love to see a 1970 Le Mans. There are a lot of versions, but not a single one is either accurate, or pleasing to the eye (LM's 72-29 effort, though great to watch, is highly inaccurate and too bumpy, as most of their tracks). If any help is needed to provide pictures of the event, I'd go mad looking up all of the ones posted on the internet and in my personal library... =)

16. pcline25

pcline25 Registered

Man that was intense. Racing there at night? More power to those guys.

17. 88mphTim

Ok. I think I have improved the rendering options a bit. Please take a look and let me know what you think of the quality at 720p. If you know of any rendering settings which you think may improve it, please let me know.

link removed - newer one being uploaded. :)

Currently rendering using Xvid, 1 pass, 720p, single pass, 1.0 target quant, progressive. I didn't really have quality issues before so I'm kinda confused here. :)

18. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

I think its pretty impossible to see where is much and where is less water on the track, we just can see where is water and where is no water.
    I want to see puddles as well.

Watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dm1PWu-tlQ

19. 88mphTim

I see puddles on the video, those are where the main reflections are. It's a drying surface.

Anyway, anybody with video rendering knowledge want to help me sharpen things, do I really need to do two passes? :)

20. 88mphTim

Sorry but you're showing a monsoon rain video in comparison to a rain shower. I'll happily show a more complete timelapse between monsoon - dry with rubber buildup, but I want to have the best quality I can for that. I guess I shouldn't have formatted and removed all my rendering templates. :)