Sim racing witch an IPS LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Taxi645, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

I have a question for you fellow sim racers. Any of you use an IPS LCD and how suitable do you find it for sim racing?

Besides sim racing I also use my pc for photography and for that purpose I would like a IPS LCD. However I'm afraid the more laggy nature of these displays compared to TN panels (especially the 120Hz ones) with hurt my direct feeling with the car. So can anyone with an IPS LCD share if their racing feel changed when switching to this kind of display?

P.S. If this is the wrong forum for this post perhaps there should be a general discussion or a off-topic forum?

2. mikeward

mikeward Registered

i have an IPS panel and have used it for racing and found it fine but it not the screen i usually use for racing as i have a seperate pc for do my photography on.

3. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Yes, that's something I'm considering as well. I could try a IPS and see if my lap times stay the same, if not I can always go for a 2nd screen option. Thanks for your reply.

4. 10speed

10speed Registered

Instead of waiting for recommendations you should try out yourself. I can only tell from myself that for my visual perception there were huge problems with IPS displays. My Eizo IPS screen was really good for Photoshop but useless in any game. Therefor decided to sell it and now a friend of mine is using it. Guess for what? Medal of Honor, Quake Series etc. most of the time. Contrary to me he doesn't recognize any visual lag. :D
    Too bad there is not enough room on my desk for a second display. So everytime I open up photoshop and apply solid fill on an area there is a nice gradient. :p

5. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

Most decent new IPS panels have response times that are equal or better than most LCDs that are 5 years old. I would be surprised that the ghosting, if any, would significantly affect your lap times.

6. otta56

otta56 Registered

Hello,

I use HP ZR24W IPS panels in an Eyefinity setup. There is no ghosting even at 290 fps. IPS works well for the side monitors as off angle color and view are better than TN panels I replaced. Black levels must be carefully adjusted with this model as the default settings don't have enough contrast. A colorimeter works best. the review @ http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm has a good review and some suggested icc profiles that work well out of the box.

7. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Hmmm, mixed reports. Well I suppose I could try an IPS and keep the CRT as back up.

8. Peter

Peter Registered

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

30 inch LG w3000h here, its faster than my samsung 2 2693hm.

10. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Just to answer my own question so other s have the info as well. I recently bought a DELL U2311H ips screen and I have found no drop in my lap times so far. So doesn't seem to impact my driving.

11. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

Do you notice any ghosting or input lag?

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

i do not notice any negative issues. i have two 2693hm on the sides and they feel a tiny bit slower compared to w3000h.

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  14. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

...or, if you want something bigger than typical monitor, you can buy plasma TV :)

15. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

You know nobody ever talks about the input lag on a projector. The new Viewsonic Pro8200 is a 1080P projector with awesome brightness and contrast specs but nothing about lag. And its under a grand. And at HIGH BRIGHT its 4000 hour bulb life which if you use it 6 hours a day, every day is 1.8 years of use. 2.7 years on eco

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Nice price, actually! But that's a projector... you need dark room to get any reasonable contrast and...
    "4000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio" - that don't come even close to good LCD TV (and plasma is of course way above both)! But if someone wants very big screen (at a cost of picture quality but how big? Might be not that bad in the end) then yes, projector is the best solution.

I have no idea about projector's input lag... but that depends on how much electronics work is going inside it. On LCD TV you will have bigger input lag when all that quality correction options are turned on (had 2 Sharp LCDs for a few days testing and plasma was a clear winner for me in every aspect, even though it was one of the cheapest, also cheaper than both Sharp LCD).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  17. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

\

I only game in the form of racing and do not notice anything. I doubt I would notice such things consciously, but since my lap times haven't increased I suspect I also do not register anything unconsciously either.

I dumbed my old CRT, cause it wasn't sharp anymore, colors weren't brilliant, it was only 17'' and the radiation was hurting my eyes.

18. Siggs

Siggs Registered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HannsG-HH251-Inch-1080p-Monitor/dp/B00288H01Y

Just my 2c, that's my monitor :) I bought it for general use (3D modelling, photoshop, other gaming, movies, etc), but it performs nice as a Racing monitor, no visible ghosting at all, and no input lag (using wireless wheel, Fanatec 911 Turbo). Mine is the version without HDMI, which is a fair bit cheaper, but that's your desicion.

19. coops

coops Banned

i use ips led screens they work very well...23" triple set up about $180 each