Want to be a part of rFactor 2 (literally)?

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Once ISI Staff has developed 3d dummies marshals, is there any chance to have some 3d spectators on the nearest crowd? 2d crowd is an alright solution to simulate away people but it’s a bit ugly when they’re close to the track. Maybe few of 3d dummies in grandstands were easily manageable by modern CPUs + GPUs.

PS -> I'm not sending any pictures of mine, I don't intend to hit RF2 sales down.

2. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Yes, I've tested mingling 3D crowd members alongside 2D, and it works well. It's mainly needed at the kart tracks where you're right up on them. However, I tested with very low poly placeholder people--not good enough for a final release. If I have time before release to rig my new models and animate them I'll add them. If not, it'll be one of the first things I update post-release....

But, there will be 3D characters and animals in there at release (the Marshalls, for example) so that mod makers will know that it can be done and have a good idea how...

3. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Scott, maybe an idea: look at the 'Pro Evolution Soccer' games for an example of acceptable animated crowd. I don't know if the crowd is 3D, it could also be that they use animated gifs (or comparable), with several possible angles per person, depending on the angle at which you look at a section of the crowd:
    http://editor.pesfan.com/PES2011/E3screens/e3_stadium_OLDTRAFFORD.jpg

4. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Nice :)

These "minor" details don't seem too much individually except when you put all together. The imersion increases significantly, mainly in external views (when you're racing, lots of details are not noticeable). No use for a fully 3D crowd as newers NBA Live, but some of them strategically positioned might be interesting.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

For us it's just a matter of having support for things like 3D animated crowd. Track creators will decide if, where and how much of it use. No offence but actually I don't take too much attention about such details in ISI made tracks. If we decide that their tracks are missing some stuff, then we add it to them (if ISI give us permission for that ;-) ) :)

6. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

I'm quite lazy for model and animate human caracters , if ISI can create few of them and allow us to kidnap for new add-on tracks, as happened with textures and objects from official RF1 content. ;) It's good to keep some standard looking in RF2 and to learn how to create the newers.

But you right, it's a secondary subject.

7. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

I would really like to dress-up european 60's style! Sadly I have no camera. :(

(a bit OT but how will the crowd be? Like, will we see flashes from camera's and flags waving or other movements?)

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

1 more week on this. Last ones next Friday please. :)

9. Peter

Peter Registered

Doh! I forgot I was supposed to take some pics when my sister and the other "old-RSC Tim" were here last weekend. Oh well, I might be able to get some pics of me and her and maybe some more people this weekend.:p

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Submissions closed. Thanks very much everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.