Graphics Card Help Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke, Oct 12, 2010.

1. DHR

DHR Registered

I was showing the link to compare with what fastorro posted, however the link is there for everyone to look at the full review and all benchmarks. You'll notice similar results for most of the games in that and any review.

2. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong Registered

I would say better to get an ATI if you need better graphics. I have used few pieces of high-end Nvidia cards in the past and the AAs look **** at all.

At least to get a 5830, it can handle the detailed cars smoothly.

3. The Stig

The Stig Registered

It has turned into a nice conversation about current cards, but since the OP was asking about the card in relation to it being able to run rFactor 2... wait awhile. When rFactor 2 comes out the same money you spend today will get you a better card.

4. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Not at all. Really.
    I only bought one ATI card so far, and I will never do again (it was a Radeon 7500). I gotta agree that the drivers were really bad back then, can't tell what's the current situation because I've never used one of their current cards.

BUT, and this is a fact, nVidia cards have a lot of trouble with all gMotor2 titles. I can tell you a couple of hundred people by their name who run rFactor, GTR2 and co. in DirectX 8 because DirectX 9 in combination with a nVidia card results in a crash after a couple of minutes with a 50-50 chance. I myself know more people who have big trouble with rFactor in combination with nVidia cards than those who have no problems at all. Hell of a lot more. I tried rFactor and GTR2 with 3 nVidia cards so far, a GeForce Ti 4280, a GeForce 6800 Ultra and a GTX 285, which is my current one. I cannot run it in DirectX 9. No go. It will crash, freeze or even reboot my PC. After half an hour, one minute or after 4 hours straight. It's completely random, and it even crashes sometimes using DirectX 8. And no, I am not the only one with this problem and no, it's not my computer. In fact, my whole team except of one is using nVidia cards and only 1 of the nVidia users never had problems running rFactor in DirectX 9. The ATI user switched from a 8800 GTX to a HD 4870 because of those problems, and he never had problems with rFactor again.

On the other side, this will never push me to buying an ATI card. In all other titles, I simply loved my nVidia cards' performance and reliability. And I like PhysX and applications with CUDA support. But saying that nVidia is much better for rFactor is simply not correct. You may get more frames, true, but instability in gMotor2 titles is a serious problem. And this comes from a long year nVidia user.

^This. We don't know when rFactor 2 is scheduled for release. I believe there'll be quite another couple of months until it's time, and therefore there'll be at least one new generation of graphics cards which will make current top cards a lot more affordable. Wait a moment before you buy, especially if it'll be a purchase specifically for rFactor 2.

5. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

LOL... Where did you get this from? in addition, 50-50% chance should result dozens of millions issues reports. I've never heard about.

I ran all GMotor2 simulators under DX9 with several Nvidia's GPUs for year using the most variated combinations (CPU / GPU / MB) and NEVER get at least one freezing or CTD. Just for listing: 8500GT, 8800GTX, 8800GTX overclocked, 9800GTX, GTX 285 and now GTX 480. All of them manage GTR2 in DirectX9 as a breeze.

I'd seriously advice you to look for some hardware issue.

ATI have excellent VGAs as well, I didn't buy a 5970 because of price (in my country, it's 30% more expensive than GTX 480). I have no complaining about 480 GTX except the temperature running at load.

I could manage to run below 85°C all the time using a software called EVGA Precision and working around on the fan speed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  6. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Post twice...

7. Robert Gödicke

For example from reports of members of Racersleague.com, and they have quite a couple of hundred active drivers.
    A lot of people had problems with rFactor crashing and/or freezing randomly (including the infamous problem in which the game stalls for a couple of seconds and afterwards all textures are messed up,have a look at this: Clicky). After telling them to try to run GTR² or rFactor in DX8, most problems were gone. The frequent crashing/freezing was usually solved doing so.

So, whenever someone was posting his problems the first answer by the admins was always something like this:

"Using an nVidia graphics card?"
    "Uhm, yes. Why?"
    "Running in DX9 mode?"
    "Yes of course."
    "Try running in DX8."
    - One week later -
    "Strange, I don't know why, but it works."

Dang. Problem solved. So far, I only heard about such problems from nVidia users. It's simply an experience me and a lot of people in a number of leagues have made. Like I said, there are people who have no problems at all, like one of our team members. He's on a 8800GTX and never had problems so far. But sadly, I've heard from so many people using nVidia cards with those problems, that I can assume it's probably 50% of all of them I've met and talked about this.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Unfortunately that is simply marketing. I had a developer recommend everyone use an ATI card once while the game was in beta because their performance was better, but when they shipped the game they had that "The way it's meant to be played." nVidia video in the startup sequence. That video is absolutely no indication of nVidia performance in that game being better than ATI, it's just some kind of marketing and/or support deal.

I know, it's annoying they mislead people that way. :(

I've had a pretty good mix of cards in my time and probably suffered an equal amount of problems with both ATI and nVidia cards. The last cards I had were nVidia and I suffered from overheating, before that I had been nVidia for a while as my ATI card before them had driver issues. But after the recent nVidia overheating I switched back to ATI and love the card I have now. There's really no difference between the companies, they both screw up occasionally and they both release cards that top the speed charts now and then. Your best bet is usually to visit Toms Hardware and look at the FPS charts for any kind of fast moving, graphically intensive games and buy accordingly. Always do a quick google search for the card before you buy to try to find any problems.

9. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

This is really new for me. All Nvidias VGA I had (both working with AMD and Intel CPUs) have worked smoothly with DX9. The only issue that I often get is a confusing when you have one transparent objetc infront other (e.g. = fences and trees). There's a ugly effect whileby the object behind appears infront... :D

Don't know if happens with ATI as well.

It would be interesting try to isolate some points in common what these people who have DX9+NVidia issues. As mentioned above, NVidia has a higher energy consumption and works really hot. If you don't have enough power supply and a well-cooled cabinet you should never install a VGA like this.

10. Robert Gödicke

It's neither the power supply nor the cooling, at least that's what I believe. I can run stresstests like Furmark for example for hours, nothing will happen.
    I got an Antec Nine Hundred case and a 700W beQuite! power supply, the rig handles everything nicely and stable, even the newest titles, except gMotor2 titles.

What I didn't test was to try good old WindowsXP 32Bit with my current rig. My previous one was pretty old, but rFactor was running stable even on DX9 back then on WindowsXP.
    Currently I'm using Win7 Professional 64Bit, before that I was using Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit, and on both systems I had said problems with DX9.

But once again, it ain't happening with all systems/hardware combinations, but from all reports I heard of first and third hand there's a good chance an nVidia card will have trouble with good old rFactor 1, and I can confirm this myself. But like I said, some people never had problems so far.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I had nV's 8800GTS and now I'm using 275 Lightning.
    There was/is no problem with overheating.

What I noticed on our forum, main issue of nV cards are occasional driver restarts during a gameplay.

For 8800 card - XP 32bit
    - up to drivers 169.21 there was no problems at all
    - newer drivers cause occasional hangups for a few secs. After all, game starts to respond but all textures are messed up

For 8800 card Win7 64bit
    - none of issues noticed

For 275 Win7 64bit
    - occasional gfx drivers restarts during game. screen hangs for a moment, than turns into black for a few secs. game remains responding. After that game gfx is back and you can finish a race (if you didn;t crashed)
    - a few weeks ago I've read some articles about Vista/Win7 ability to restart unresponsive driver. There are some settings of how it should behave. I set time after which driver will be restarted to greater valuee (I think from 2 sec to 3 sec). Since this I noticed no issue.

It looks like there is problem with nV only. But there are plenty articles over web that ATI users have the same issues (driver restarts). But in our forum there are no ATI users reported it.
    Who knows.

best regards

12. 88mphTim

Driver crashes have been a problem in Windows 7 for me with my old nVidia cards too (both 32 and 64 bit), but that was with all games. Some games handled it OK, some CTD'd, some I had to reset, always the same issue in the logs though that the driver crashed. I went back to old drivers to get around it, but then the card started to overheat and I switched to ATI.

13. lightspeed

lightspeed Registered

I once had a sli capable motherboard but found out that not many games actually support sli or crossfire so you didn't always gain performance with 2 cards, I suggest going with 1 good card, ATI seems to have the upper hand at this point and the 6000 series is rumoured to be released in nov... So wait for them for a price drop on the 5000 seires or get yourself a nice shiney new 6000 series :)

3 questions for Tim: Will rFactor2 support 2 card configurations and will it support 3 monitor config similar to iracing?

More importantly: Could you give us a hint as to the video card needs of rFactor2, for exemple will a medium pc (phenomX4 2,9mhz, 4GB 1333mhz Ram, win7(64bit) with a 5770) run rfactor2 at 60 fps with full details and with a full field of cars?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  14. 88mphTim

They can't really finalize those things yet because there's some effects, etc, to add and the artwork is being updated. Specifications might be one of the last things to get a 'for sure' answer on, unfortunately. They might be able to give a ballpark idea soon.

15. shum94

shum94 Registered

Intelligent people dont get fooled ^^

16. DHR

DHR Registered

nVidia are currently ahead in the market, on prices, performance, sli scaling and overclocking performance and for most games the driver's are better. Also they have better AA Image quality now, but in general the image quality on both sides you wont be able to tell the difference.

You can read this review here and check out all the benchmarks to see your self.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/6

Ati do have their 6000 series coming, however from what I seen they will compete with Nvidia's GTX460 & 470.

Problem with nVidia in the past has indeed been the freezing some people get with the GMotor engine in rFactor and RaceO7/GTR Evo etc. But it's really hit and miss as some people get it, some not.

I got it on my old 8800gts, but never got it on the 7600gt or X1950 Pro, and use to get it with the 9600gt on XP, but don't get the freezing with the 9600gt on windows 7 now, it's a strange one :rolleyes:

It's more of a case of ISI and nVidia working together to find the issue within the driver's to what was causing the freezing some people get, but as development was stopped within the original rFactor obviously this never happened and am quite sure with rFactor 2 the freezing will be long gone with the updated engine and constant development.

17. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

So you say I'm stupid? Come on ...

18. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Most times is only marketing...

However some games with that Nvidia video actually run faster with Nvidia Cards

Just don't ask me if they either really improve the code for best Nvidia running or if they intentionally ruin code for get things worse under ATI drivers...I dont doubt anything.

19. DHR

DHR Registered

It's not just marketing though. What happens is Nvidia spend money to work with Developers to make sure their games are highly optimized for Nvidia hardware, AMD don't do this no where near as much, they don't work as hard or spend as much money as Nvidia do with game developers to make this happen. Nvidia don't ruin the code for AMD hardware they just make sure it's highly optimized for their own hardware after working hard with the developers.

20. Robert Gödicke

Nah, it's simply one of nVidia's programs (not a computer program I mean) where they send some of their own manpower to a game's developer, optimizing the title for their cards. It's really that simple.
    One of the most famous games from the TWIMTBP program was Batman Arkham Asylum, because it featured AA only on nVidia cards due to the nVidia guys showing the developer how to use a hack to get proper AA using the Unreal Engine 3 (which does not support Anti-Aliasing natively) and nVidia cards. ATI users got very angry about this.

EDIT:
    DHR was faster. ;)