Graphics Card Help Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Luke

Luke Registered

Hello,

I am not the best with computers. Can someone suggest a good graphics card for me that will be good enough for rfactor and that will run rfactor2 sufficnetly when it is released. The current graphics card I have runs Rfactor but not the greatest. I was looking at this graphics card: asus 5550. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/235134 Will it be any good? If not has any one got and ideas on what to get?

Thanks,

Luke

2. shum94

shum94 Registered

3. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Why ATI? nVidia is much better for rFactor and most other Games. (Simple: Watch how many Games have the "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" Logo form nVidia) And the driver is better to.

4. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

I´am using ATI cards for many years now, and i dont have any problems with rfactor or any other games.:)

5. Uff

Uff Registered

As others said, a 5850 would definitely be better: it is indeed more expensive, but at least you have a graphic card that will last you more than just a year (if you want to play at full HD resolution). It depends on your cpu too: it's never easy to suggest a graphic card without knowing the rest of your pc.
    Keep in mind that modern graphic cards usually require a powerful power supplier too, so if you don't have a good one you will probably have to spend 100/150$ for it too. I would suggest 5850 or nVidia 460. We should also point out that ATI will release soon their new graphic cards and this should bring a price drop for 5850.

6. shum94

shum94 Registered

lolllll "the way it's meant to be played" rofl
    Some games who have this logo at the launch of the game are better ran with an ATI...

Best buy right now money wise is ATI. End of story.
    Thread poster look at the link i posted, October 2010 graphic card guide.

7. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

8. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I'd suggest an Nvidia GTX 460 if you can afford it.

9. zild1221

zild1221 Registered

Before you take any information in this thread into consideration, please post your current system specs. It would be foolish to go out and buy a new GPU when you have other old components. (depending on what they are)

Neither ATI or Nvidia is a "better" brand. Both have strong points and weak points when it comes to certain titles. Your best bet would be just look at best price/performance value of the cards.

Before anything, please post your specs.

10. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

I just bought a GTX460 with 2gb Vram,
    together with a i7 950 @ 3 ghz.
    and 6 GB Ram (triple chanel)

It better runs rfactor2 :D

11. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Registered

No point in turning this into a "x is better than y" discussion. Did you ever own an ATI card to appreciate how good or bad it is? I've owned 5 nVidia cards up to 6 months ago, when upgrade time came and nVidia just didn't have a DX11 card available. I went for a 5850 and haven't regretted my choice not even for a second, having been a nVidia user all along.

@ OP: do post your system specs. Considering which of these factors count the most - price, performance, power consumption, running temperature, and future proof (dx11), the choice should become easier i think.

12. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

+1:)

13. Luke

Luke Registered

Thanks for all the help people. As soon as I get home from work I will post the specs of my computer. It may be worth me just buying a complete new one lol.

Thanks

14. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Yes I had several ATI Cards in the past and I hated them because the Driver sucks.

And on the Games I play it runs much better with nVidia (ArmA 2 mainly)

15. fastorro

fastorro Registered

rfactor2 runs in dx9 ... why want's dx11? hehehe

16. fastorro

fastorro Registered

Look this:

[​IMG]

17. WiX

WiX Registered

IMO video cards can never be fast enough. It all depends on your budget.
    Also keep in mind that its always a compromise between the CPU and the Graphics card. The CPU has to deliver the polygons, the graphic card does the rendering, so a good balance is required. Go for what ever is fast within your budget. I used numerous nVidia & ATI cards , and i can not say there is a major difference between the brands as far as quality or reliability is concerned. In the end all Con´s and Pro´s are usually based on a personal experience.

18. fastorro

fastorro Registered

And this sorted by name:
    [​IMG]

19. DHR

DHR Registered

@ fastorro, why are you posting old gpu benchmarks? Where are the Fermi cards?

Currently the GTX460 is the best performance for your money. But ATi have their 6*** cards coming soon and Nvidia their new refreshes of Fermi. But if you brought now, cards to go for are 5770/gtx460 or 470 and above.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king/6

20. zild1221

zild1221 Registered

If you even take that chart into consideration when comparing cards you are a fool. Crysis is and always has been known as the biggest nVidia sided game ever.