Why rFactor needs a well designed driver class/rating system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taxi645, Oct 11, 2010.

1. fastorro

fastorro Registered

hi Taxi.

you're a fast driver, I have seen many times on our server but that you explain it for public races, not valid for a league between users in a community.

In our community don't need this method, we know our skill and always try to find ways to balance races or almost always ;)

2. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

My thinking:

in CS i can remain in backline and send the other team-players to death in first line.. without "honor" and for the ranking and post-frags more probable.. And this is a **** attitude of several players.

In Rfactor i can spin my opponents for ranking. S H U R E... there are a lor of -censored- :p

No?

3. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

As stated this would be merely an option for every server. If you don't want to use it in your league that's no problem. I do think though that also for league racing it can be very useful.

Sure if you want to lowest possible safety rank you could do that. ;)

4. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

I dont want iRacing 2, the safety rating system in iRacing sucks bigtime. If you got hit by someone else you will get a penalty aswell. If Gjon and the others are planning to make such a thing, then it would be pretty bad.

5. DHR

DHR Registered

Agreed ^

Whatever ISI do don't take advise from iRacing as it won't be a good thing for the simracing community at all. We need the new rFactor 2 to be like rFactor 1 but updated as it is being done, not to have a license points system like iracing or a monthly subscription which really puts of most of the sim community.

Often youll see in iRacing people afraid to overtake due to worrying about getting points, thus you'll often get "follow the leader" events.

6. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

The rating would not be absolute but relative. If you occasionally get hit by another driver but drive safely yourself your driving will be relatively safe compared to others (who not only get hit, but hit others as well) and therefore you would have a very good safety rating. Furthermore you could separate the car in 2 or more section where the rear bumper could score mildly in the safety rating meaning that if you get hit in the back you don't get as much penalty on your safety rating compared to when you hit someone else with the front of the car.

Well there are people who find simdriving to be to wild and on the other hand you find it too safe. Often if you have opposite opinions like it means that you're on the right track. ;)

I wish people would have a bit more open mind about this though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  7. Jux

Jux Registered

I agree with Taxi on everything. All the posts he has written here. Seriously.

8. Graag

Graag Registered

There should also be some system which gives more or less penalties according to what kind of car you are driving. For example if you race some massive muscle car from 60's, you don't really have to mind if you mildly hit the driver at you side. Those kind of cars don't really mind that much about that. And even if the hit is a bit heavier the other driver don't necessarily spin or crash or anything, because that kind of cars like to go sideways. But if you have the same small impact with modern F1 car, the results that follow might be bit different.

9. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Agreed, you could incorporate that. You could do it two ways I reckon:

1 Let the mod maker set a certain value for how dangerous it is for there to be contact or how contacts are viewed in the real life counter part (WTCC for instance) or
    2 Since it could be a relative rating as long as you drive safer than the rest your rating will improve. So if it is a car that is driven more roughly by everyone a few notches here or there would not penalize your rating.

I do think though, it would take quite a bit of testing/finetuning to get a reasonably well working system.

10. DeDios

DeDios Registered

+1

11. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

AGREED as well to some sort of system. Not sure what the fuss is all about, unless you are one that cannot hold your temper, I cannot see a disadvantage to some sort of system as described. You would have a choice, to join a race where tempers (or just plain foolishness) most often fly, or to race with those that have a TRUE competitive spirit.

I'm not a seasoned racer by any means, though my road coarse abilities have improved tremendously, but I need to be held in check so as not to accidentally ruin a seasoned drivers race. Maybe the scare is that a person would be accidentally labeled a bad driver, I don't know, but if we as a community have the pleasure of leaving the system ON or OFF, I think that is the only argument (if it can be labeled that even).

I just cannot see why it's not a good idea, the choice would be in the hands of the driver.

12. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

+10 stats kill games

Leagues have there own point sytems anyway, public stats just breeds more idiots.

13. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

So am I hearing you right, are you opposed to leagues and their system, which could very well be helped by the system described above?

14. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Having an inbuilt point system is ok for 'leagues' as long as its adjustable in all aspects to suit many of the diffrent leagues scoring needs, however public stats will create a new bunch of stat padders who will do anything to get there name on the list.

If you want to be 'top of the tree' race in a league instead.

15. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

How would you feel about it if the individual stats weren't visible?

16. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

When they are not visible - for what and how do you want to use them?

17. The Stig

The Stig Registered

I can't really see the point in that. You could see your own stats but nobody else, so nothing to compare to? Sorry if I seem daft, I am not having a go at you, I just don't understand.

18. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Then I suggest you guys reread my posts. ;)

19. Graag

Graag Registered

It's sometimes truly amazing how some people can argue while not even understanding the original idea they are arguing against.

20. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Ah yes, the ways of the world and mankind. :)

About the ratings I was thinking to separate each rating; contacts, cuts, spins, finishes like the following:

Level C: All drivers
    Level B: top 67% (just to weed out the wreckers so to say)
    Level A: top 33% (if you want really safe and fair races etc.)

For speed I was thinking to use some sort of ELO system to determine the rating with the following levels:

Level E: all drivers
    Level D: top 33%
    Level C: top 10%
    Level B: top 3%
    Level A: top 1% (which prolly well be almost never used as a threshold)

All ratings would be quite sticky meaning then they won't change by one or two races, but take longer to change (longer than rFracing for sure). So if someone for some reason wants to mess up your rating it won't work and they prolly end up hurting their own rating much more.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010