rFactor3 - Dream Big, Dream Outerra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeosPantera, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Golly

Golly Registered

Oh my.....

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I wonder how it will work with my 0.5MB mobile internet connection or 512MB GFX card ram, might be not working quite the way intended to.

Maybe there is cache for land 'tiles'.

In my opinion, if we combine Rigs of Rods, rF2 and something similar to outerra or that unlimited detail engine that should give demo quite soon, that would be nearly perfect sim.

That would give a lot of possibilities and it would bring simulators to new era completely, but it probably would make huge amount of work to use rf2 physics in outerra world and it would still run quite poorly, but in 5 or more years that it will take to reach rf3 I'm sure our hardware will be lot better. At least I hope mine would not be stuck to current level.

I think that it probably is bit out of scope for what ISI aims with their product though, I currently can't see they moving to using open platform, but of course it would be nice.

3. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I would like to do in rF2 cruise the island is small. Most usual rule is two-way traffic, no bots. For the rest. Qualitative fashion production vehicles. 30 online players and ride around the island or city ... Maybe plug-in for writing what that job, odometer, fuel and so on

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Dream big indeed!

I know Outerra for some time know, I was hoping some big company would take it and start the next generation of flight sims, as things there suddenly haulted imho, after the great expectations we all had after FSX, but I never could believe it could be used into a racing sim (yes, I had seen the off road army vehicles).

As big tracks like Targa and Nords are so few, is it sensible to have the whole world modelled just for these?
    Yes, Id really beg, steal and borrow for Mille Miglia, but even for this, isnt having a globe too much?

Also, while driving to your fav track to race there is truly appealing, is it really possible?

[​IMG]

Yes, this is incredible, but isnt it just a fraction of the problem? The biggest problem as far as I see it, is gathering all information needed and actually modelling every building from everybodys house to track. Can this be possible?

The reason for me questioning is, I dont try to pass knowledge about it (I dont have any).
    Just some simple reasoning.
    (I trully think it is next decade's -at least- stuff and computing power)

5. liebestod

liebestod Registered

An open-world driving simulator has been my dream game for some time now. I've always loved the Cannonball Run track for rFactor, because it combines real-world highway style with a proper simulation. For a variety of (probably obvious) reasons, it seems like we've always got to choose between accurate, nuanced simulation and open-world driving.

I think this would be a very difficult project to produce -- probably a lot more difficult than one might think. Still, it would be just about the coolest thing ever.

6. sg333

sg333 Registered

I hope someday that ISI build a real version of Toban, so they can then laser scan it :p

2 people like this.
  7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

There is.. http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=645.msg14254#new
    Just find a fast connection because in its current state the WHOLE WORLD is 12GB when Compressed. You may benefit from a threesome of DVD's sent in the mail. A service not yet offered...

Well the model importer will allow anyone to model and bring in buildings and houses. And Cameni(Creator) went into some detail on how he wants to handle everyone having the models and how they will be distributed.

We aren't going to host the public models because of the legal issues, and we don't plan to make a site for sharing them, but Outerra servers will function as trackers for the models. That means when someone imports a vehicle, it gets a unique identifier and a record about it can be uploaded to the server (must be if he means to use it in multiplayer). The record will contain the information needed to display some basic info about the vehicle like the name, a thumbnail image, a bounding box or bounding geometry, together with a user-provided link where the model can be downloaded.

If you encounter someone in a vehicle for what you don't have a model (and you would see just a labeled bounding geometry in the game), it can be downloaded automatically for you as long as the model file is reachable and can be downloaded. It would be best to support some services that enable anyone to put their models somewhere, for example the Google Drive. So in theory, when uploading the model info it could ask you if it should be uploaded to one of the supported hosting services, or you would provide a link to it. However, since the hosting usually requires an user interaction (clicking on the link), a web window would pop up if the file cannot be downloaded directly.

We are going to have a special extension for the compressed package files, and in our internal browser there will be an automatic url handler, meaning that if you click on a link pointing to a download of the package file, the engine would recognize it automatically and install the model(s) for you.
    It also opens the possibility for someone to make a sharing site where people could put up their models, and the site could be either browsed from within the engine through its internal browser or through an external one, launching OT to install the models when an OT package file was downloaded.

Also this..

[​IMG]

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Sounds impressive, sounds like he is thinking, not only dreaming really big...

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The man doesn't play games.. That's why it is going to work.

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Im here waiting...

Ever since Google street view came out, I had big expectations and dreams, well...future IS bright :)

11. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

LOL

12. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

rfactor3 with outerra?! Great idea! is there any news about this project? It's big dream, it's very interesting... Is there any work in progress?

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I pretty regularly update the Outerra Subreddit. The engine is progressing and model importer is now in but can't do vehicles YET. Soon that will be possible and I can start messing with the physics of them. I have been trying to talk FFB to the creator but he has no wheel and never drove a race sim before so it will probably be slow going.

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Not sure if it is worth his time to spend much time with physics when it could be possible to get ready physics motor to have all that with much less of hazzle. So he could license rFactor and fit his graphics engine over it, kind of, then he could sell millions of copies of that and became filthy rich.

Or then not.

15. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well nearly any physics engine can be modified and "plugged in" to the World renderer for use. Currently the Bullet physics engine is handling ground collisions and vehicle physics. (mostly because it is free) and the only vehicle in game (the 8x8 Tatra clone) has a very simple setup config.

Code:
    wheel = {
        suspension_rest_length  = 0.48
        max_suspension_travel   = 0.75
        stiffness               = 6.5
        damping_compression     = 0.10
        damping_relaxation      = 0.03
        friction_slip           = 0.57
    }

max_engine_force        = 25000
    max_braking_force       = 13750
    redux_coef              = 0.2
    max_kmh                 = 75
    But Cameni (creator) started talking tire models and torque curves before I did so there is hope for improvement.

Today is actually a pretty big update with the model importer now ready to import functioning aircraft! Land vehicles are next so expect a post other then this one when that comes out. I want to see what real sim people can do with that functionality.

16. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

I'm ready for a race from NYC to Boston And back!

17. gotBurner

gotBurner Registered

OR, use it perhaps in another racing sim to compete with rFactor.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Cannonball Run rF2 style :) Coast to coast, LA to NY heheh.

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I would love if the mods for rf1/rf2 could be directly imported for use in outerra. I wonder what the legal issues with that would be. Would the mod makers need to be asked or is ISI's packaging and layout proprietary. If only things in this world were that simple.

20. Skynet

Skynet Registered

you got my beans!, wait this isn't the Dayz forum XD

....+1 to anything that involves free roaming driving MMO in an open world/City with high fidelity physics like ISI's engine =)))