Anti Cheat software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hutch-SCO, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Short but sweet.

Will rfactor 2 be running any anti cheat software, as this is becoming an issue with rfactor leagues.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2010
  2. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

Every game will never ever be protected against cheaters, sadly :(

3. Willie

Willie Registered

Eso se ve...

4. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

True but something along the lines of punkbuster does seem to weed them out, with nothing its too easy for them to cheat we need somthing atleast.

5. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

Punkbuster is pretty much a &*^$ program :p But yeah I understand what you mean :)

6. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Why is it **** its the best anti cheat about.

7. shum94

shum94 Registered

Duno how you caught ram cheat software wise.

I wish i had recorded some i caught because it is funny to see. Monza is perfect to spot these guys, but you got to be fast to observe that their car (same as yours) goes faster ehehe

PS : You catch them on the technical parts of racing (coz they're not the fastest, thats why they're cheaters), braking and cornering, really funny to race these cheaters.

8. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

I;m a noob when it comes to cheating and anti-cheat protection. Is Tyka any good?

9. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

I heard a rumor !!! about RAM-Cheat-Programs using root-kit-technology running in kernel-mode (ring 0) of the operating system. I really don't know if this is true !?!? But if it is, there is almost now way to detect them, cause one will need thorough knowledge of the root-kit-technology they are using to at least of being aware that there is a ram-cheat-program running on the system. Punkbuster, VAC, or what they are all called are at most pseudo-anti-cheat utilities. They don't even deserve the word programs or systems. Their aim is to give you a misleading comfort feeling that you are competing against a human player and not being "chanceless" against a poor fracking noob with an armamented piece of cheating junk hardware.

Unfortunately, as long as human beings are involved in competing to each other, cheating will always be an issue ... sadly !!!

10. fobban

fobban Registered

I don't have much hope in Punkbuster after it incorrectly banned a friend for aimbot in Battlefield Bad Company 2, so I really hope that POS won't be used.

11. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

What about downloading the Physic Files every time you join a Server (or only if the checksum is wrong) then no one can play with non legit physics and cheat.

12. DKR Speedline

DKR Speedline Registered

@Sommergemuese: In rFactor you cannot join a server with other physic files. Cheat Software will manipulate them after they are loaded to the memory.

13. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Then add a Memory Check too ;)

14. DKR Speedline

DKR Speedline Registered

i think there will be always a way to manipulate a parameter. It is just a question of how much time you like to spend to create such a cheat tool.
    The file check system what is already implemented in rFactor is good enough against people who have no idea of memory manipulation.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

There are methods.
    Anti virus programs use it. Those may be disabled by virus but... An anti-cheat program should communicate with a server resulting disconnection in case of hacking attempt.

16. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Theres more than just ram cheats floating about for rfactor, which is why we need somthing.

17. DKR Speedline

DKR Speedline Registered

Can you tell us a little bit more about the other things, Hutch?

18. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

Punkbuster wouldn't of banned your friend unless he was running an aimbot. Punkbuster takes screenshots of that persons pc and what they can see and sends them to admins as well as whatever the admin streams their server to (PBbans, Punksbusted etc) so it certainly doesn't ban people incorrectly.

I know what you mean Hutch. Been racing in leagues for a year or so and people that were a good half second off pace were suddenly half a second quicker a week later.. Luckily its only happened start of this year when we got bored of rF after 5 years (had it just after it came out).

19. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

No.... i can't as the less people know about it the better, its already effected my league and a load of others.

If isi reps wan't to speak to me about it in a pm then that is fine, but i'm not posting what does what when some little cheating kid could be reading about it on here.

20. fobban

fobban Registered

If I'm not mistaken I think Punkbuster tries to be clever and looks at other processes running, and if any of them might be used to inject in-memory cheats. However, he was banned incorrectly. And a screenshot can never prove or disprove of that. Screenshots for aimbot sounds a bit silly anyways...

Problem with a system like PB is that if they screw up (which they have, obviously), they will and can never admit it, cause if they do, they dig their own grave.