SimHQ Interview: Gjon Camaj on rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Oct 8, 2010.

1. guod

guod Registered

2. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

I will be happy with rF2 ;)

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

At this point let them take their time and get it right. They have a few wish-list threads to go through and say YES and NO to.

4. Gusztav

Gusztav Registered

Sounds very good, lots of interesting info. Very much appreciate the way Gjon does these interviews. Not a hint of the usual smoke and mirrors that became the norm nowadays. As long as ISI does the job right, there is (IMO) no problem with the eventual Q1 2011 release.

There was one other thing that caught my attention. It would be quite a shame if only one .plr file per machine on rF2 comes true. There are lots of people, me included, with couple of different rFactor installs, sorted according to the wheel lock needed (OW, GT, Road etc.) or some other criteria. Let's hope there is some solution to that.

5. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

This has me very, very concerned because I hate the RealFeel plugin. I really hope rF2's new system is greatly improved over what RealFeel offers or I may just be sticking to rF1 (or waiting for mods to "fix" the issue).

6. 10speed

10speed Registered

How cool is this? I cannot imagine any of the major developers nowadays releasing a game only for PC simply because it was enjoyable this way. ISI is not depending on publishers or shareholders which seems to pay off now.

7. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I'm also bummed that the built-in server has been removed from the rFactor 2 client. I really enjoyed using that feature to race with my buddies. Now it's dedicated-only. :(

8. Peter

Peter Registered

I fully agree with 10speed on this. This has to be the best thing I've heard from a game developer in years (and no, I'm not a console hater, I own and use all current game consoles). :cool:

About the server "issue". Personally I have almost always used the dedicated server even when just hosting quick fun races with my friends. So this is not a problem for me and it shouldn't be too much of a problem for anyone to learn how to use it. The thing about player profiles is a bit worrying though, I hope they'll manage to find some good way to solve that.

9. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Registered

@ ISI: Great to have an update on how things flow in the studio, and although I can't wait to get my hands on the finished product, I personally I hope you take to time to include 90%ish of all the important features you plan to (a real game developer, as you are, always has new ideas). However there's two things you're planning to cut which I found useful in rFactor: multiple installs (for good housekeeping) and the built-in server feature, great for racing with friends.

@ mclaren777: RealFeel is a known and documented improvement over the standard FF in rFactor. Why exactly do you hate it?

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I dislike the way it feels compared to the standard FFB. No amount of tweaking has ever made it feel better (or even on-par) in my opinion.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Means you are using mods with bad suspension geometry. It works perfectly with correct ones.
    Moreover Gjon said 'like RealFeel' to point to simulated character of FF instead of predefined as in stock rF.

So you will be using dedicated to race with your friends. Nothing will change ;)

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Maybe they are improving it so that you don't NEED separate installs! RF1 was a pain because it slowed to a crawl with lots of mods in, now I would think that has been optimised somewhat. They maybe under estimated how many mods people would want to have in an install.

As for one user per login, I don't see an issue, as long as you are able to adjust settings per mod. In an ideal world if the mods are made correctly, then it shouldn't be a problem.

oh... and Tim got here first :) http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/157-Q-A-up-at-SimHQ

13. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

the realfeel FFB works like a real FFB should work in a simulation, the feeling of the realfeel ffb can only improve with better vehicle dynamics

14. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I realize that I'm in the minority when it comes to RealFeel, but I really hope the new system feels similar to rF1's standard FFB. If it's anything like the RealFeel experiences I've had, I'm confident that I won't be buying rF2 until modders offer me a suitable alternative.

15. Graag

Graag Registered

I currently drive HistorX-mod in league series, and as member of HistorX-team I develop the internal versio of the mod. I need to have to installations of the mod. I hope rf2 will have some solution to have two versions of same mod installed without too much hassle. It would be better if I could just have two installations of rf2.

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

well what mods do you race with? I am a huge realfeel fan but on mods like the bmwe92gtr I have to completely disable realfeel. Also alot of the time refe requires you to reverse the force feedback direction between mods. Easily done with the refe numpad shortcuts. Also refe removes all the engine vibration and brake lockup shaking that wouldn't really be there. My friends have used iRacing and said that their ffb blew realfeel away, so I am hoping it more relates to that.

17. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I race with rTrainer, rF3, ZR, Radical, R8 GT, Rayzor, etc.

I just don't like the amount of resistance that RealFeel provides. It's too weak and I often feel like I'm missing some of the grip information because of it. My lap times are definitely much better using the standard FFB.

But this thread isn't about RealFeel so perhaps I should just wait for ISI to give us rF2 before commenting further. ;)

18. The Stig

The Stig Registered

Unfortunately, unless they release a demo you won't know how it feels to you (I understand FFB can be a very personal preference) unless you buy it.

19. xzess

xzess Registered

I've made a lot of tweaks to FFB y G27 and DFP, they have very different response to FFB, in a few words, G27 was weak in forze but much faster in response and turn with the same parameters as DFP. My ideal setup changes a lot whit them, but with both i use Leo+realfeel (leo puts the front wheels grip loose, realfeel real car data as wheel lock, suspension data etc...). With both wheels you can do strong response setups, i think you're missing something in config.

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

So It's only means that you are not able to set FF and RFFB settings correctly. RFFB may be strong as hell with a lot of information which lacks in default FF. Just read RFFB manual, check forums for optimal settings. Also use caster settings to get correct forces (yeah really, setup affects RFFB forces) and finally use mods prepared to work with RFFB (means with susp. geometry prepared in correct way)