Sound Engine infos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fonsecker, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

First, you have to have proper system to recreate such high low-end levels. Even very good quality subwoofer may not be enough ;-)

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Recording a sound is a science.
    Recording for wide audience with different sound reproduction hardware - is hard word. Almost impossible to make all satisfied.

Recording racing cars is very hard. It needs special equipment designated to process high dynamic and very loud sounds. Racing cars produce sound with dynamics around 100dB, or event momently more. 16bit recordings (CD quality) is not able to reproduce such dynamics (96dB in theory). 24bit is quit better. But we have still to think about an output. Do you play game with volume maxed out producing loud sound such real cars? Don't think so.
    We wants kicking ass sound of sport car playing it in private room. Even with sub-woofer it is not the same. Finally you will find out that if IRL you still hear car loud even at 200m, in game it is too quiet etc etc.

3. DHR

DHR Registered

@ ZeosPantera

You can create proper low end frequencies. It all depends on the sound sample you are putting into rFactor. Having some good studio monitors, along with high grade converters in your audio card is handy along with a sub. You also have multipliers within the gmotor engine code so you can boost up the volume if you are creating a bottom heavy sounding car that may sound a bit quiet in game despite processing in your DAW to maximize the sound.

But as MXyM says above it's all about the recording you are able to use, the recording of what your working on is the key part, and for external sounds this is the most difficult factor to get sounding right, as 90% of mod sounds are not realistic externally due to the recording used to create the external sounds and the lack of a good Doppler effect within the gmotor engine currently.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  4. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

DHR, can you please explain what's wrong with rF's Doppler effect? It's a fairly simple equation, how could it even be wrong? The only thing that seems wrong is that ISI knowingly used unrealistic default value for "Speed Of Sound" in PLR to 'help exaggerate the Doppler effect' for whatever reason.

5. shum94

shum94 Registered

Good thread

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I was looking for these videos recently and couldn't dig them up. Great work on those sounds. So will PCC2009 ever be released to the public? I would love to see an update of PCC07 with RealFeel compatible physics.

7. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Member

at the moment, there is no plan to release it for RF1. 2 leagues are using the 2009 Mod at the moment exclusive.

But the PCC07 Mod is realfeel compatible...

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well yeah it works with RealFeel it just doesn't provide as good of a feel as ES, AE86, NAGT, HistorX and a few others. It is very far from bad though. I love the mod. I keep trying to get my league to do a season with PCC07 but it never wins the vote. :( I want us to do a spec series of some sort. PCC07 has so many very high quality skins to pick from too.

9. DHR

DHR Registered

@ Pandamasque, I should of explained better. It's mainly the external fx, ambience, reverb etc. It's important to get realistic FX for the external sounds to sound at least realistic like when a real car flies past, especially for the different sections of the track (i.e tunnels etc) I should make an example when time is available.

10. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Well, yeah. You're right. I know what you mean, although it's not doppler. Other than doppler rF doesn't seem to have any post-FX at all on audio. I think I remember there was a primitive version of tunnel-effect in F1-2002, albeit rather nasty. The basic environment effects should be done fairly easy using the reverb-like effect, even that would improve things dramatically. But then there are a lot of things that can be done fairly easily compared to the amount of work they already put into graphics.

11. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

But only if it's properly mastered reverb, not the sound inside a shower which comes and goes like a switch when "IF car in tunnel THEN reverb 1" - but something that happens naturally at long distances as well.

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Will it still be an DirectSound audio engine or you switched to OpenAL?

13. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

I had brainwave the other day while driving through motorway roadworks and needed somewhere to write this down:

rF2 needs a few more material types, with their properties assigned not just to grip level, but road-noise samples.

Like the way rF1 has cobblestones, rumble strips and normal tarmac... I'd like to see a few more asphalt types with their own road-noise samples, also not forgetting painted lines and bumps having an affect on the "colour" of the road-noise.

Getting slightly more complex, all this needs to be balanced and mixed-on-the-fly. So like the physics engine and FFB; each tyre knows what surface it's running on and what sound to play.

The transition between different materials needs to be assigned a bump noise too. (As to save putting the "thump" at the start of each road-noise sample and breaking the loop) Bump noise is a completely new concept, but it's not radically different from the body scraping noise when the chassis bottom out. It's possible for tyres and should greatly accompany the new bumps in rF2.

Thinking about the bigger picture here, having sound foley form an even stronger connection with physics and FFB will only increase the sim experience, which is what we're all here for right? ;)

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

agree with that, wheels screeching on different tarmacs would create a different Pitch to the sound. Reverb off soft tyre bundles would be different to a brick wall etc. Lots of different Sound scenarios could be had.

15. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Another thing I just need to write here following what I just read at GTP:

I think rF2 needs to introduce engine load and smoothing variables (if it hasn't already) to cure the half on/half off sample mix at mid throttle and also improve stand-still revving. I think this is also how FMOD does it.

Looking forward to hearing what's been done. :D

16. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

what program do you use guys for editing sounds, for example for cut a part of a sample?

17. Frank Beuchel

Frank Beuchel Registered

Steinberg WaveLab

18. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

thanks

19. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Sound Forge too works pretty good.

In the free products range, Audacity is ok, but Sound Forge and Wave Lab are professional software specialized in audio post production, both great tools.

20. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

thanks max, free program is better for me, i have audacity too but when i cut a specific part and paste it i can hear a weird sound that make audacity not good