Rfactor 2 licences [poll]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sommergemuese, Oct 6, 2010.

?

Which Licensing do you want?

1. Trymedia

154 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Steam

68 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. CD-Key Check/Online activation (Securom)

59 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Another one...

17 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rF2_FTW

rF2_FTW Registered

I enjoy Trymedia with rF, I can easily have multiple rF installs on my PC.
    Once I had to get a new key and I immediately got one in the mail, so never had problems with Trymedia.

I do not like Steam, one because if steam has a malfunction you can't play and second I don't think multiple installs are possible.
    A cd key could be fine aswell, maybe it's just as user friendly as Trymedia.

2. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

Again: STEAM = WAY TO MUCH INVASIVE

I am getting nightmares by thoughts rF2 needs to be downloaded/activated/controlled/structured/verified/configured by this social piece of network crap (sorry folks) ... if one likes to talk/write/share his dreams instead of doing race driving go for facebook. This software is designed for that. I am looking to it from an Endurance Racing point-of-view, meaning every little piece of software code, intended or not, may cause your system to be instable interfering game play, and in worst case scenario a disconnect while leading a 24hrs race after 23hrs (well not me, but I am thinking about the top drivers/teams). And also, if ISI intends to add an option for conditionally re-joining a race session after you have disconnected, you can't win a race by re-joining a race session every X hours ... IT (Information Technology) was always and will be ever to be understood in the meaning of "LESS IS MORE" and/or "JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE". On the other hand I do believe that the community around ISI and rFactor is that big and loyal, that leagues or hosts won't have a problem to offer the rFactor installation files as a download on their own servers ... at least I would do so !!!

Even it may sound a little personal and offending to some - trust me - it is not !!! It was not my aim to offend someone's personal meaning !!!

Cheers
    Frank

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Trymedia is a pain. I know of legit purchasers that are running versions that bypass it just because it is a pain. You know when that happens your licensing is bad.

4. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

I'm happy with the current system. My experience with Steam quite a while ago wasn't great.

5. fobban

fobban Registered

If that is how it's gonna be, then it might as well be distributed through Steam.

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I am sure there will be a workaround. Even a bat file that swaps out player files.

7. The Stig

The Stig Registered

Again... Steam does not have to be an exclusive distribution method. Many games are sold with, and without Steam. Both versions play online together just fine. Just because they make Steam an option does not mean it has to be the only option. Just because you don't like it, why not have the option there for people who do? Steam will give it more exposure then any other method, and if you chose not to buy it on Steam, I do assure you the Steam version will not hurt you.

I never had the DVD of rF1 but I heard it did not require activation in the same way as the DD version. If they were willing to use more then one method in rF1, why should they only go with one method for rF2? It sounds so limiting and silly.

8. Suarez16

Suarez16 Registered

Any digital download system please! Never had any problems with Trymedia or Steam.

9. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

Think about synchronizing an event mod in all to all the players who are taking part in the event. In its current way of distributing rFactor (DVD, TryMedia) you won't have any problem with that. Just tell the driver to download a little sync program, put it in a newly created folder, execute it and after a while one will have the whole mod including rFactor and its depending executable for either TryMedia or DVD on its system - ready to play/join/drive with this specialized event mod ensuring everyone who is taking part in this event got the same files in total the dedicated server is runing with. In its current way of licensing and distribution one will have all the freedom to so. I don't think you will have the same possibilities/freedom where an application is tied to a distribution platform like Steam ... Steam is limiting and silly but thank you for your input.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010
  10. 10speed

10speed Registered

@The Stig: Yes, the dvd does not require an activation.

You may like or dislike steam. So far I never had any problems with it. Purchasing, installing and running games is quite easy even for novice computer users. There is some sort of "problem" with steam nowadays having established nearly a monopoly game platform. But due to its common use more importantly steam can attract much more players than any other current purchasing method. This could possibly help sell rfactor2 better than its predecessor.

11. RaceDepartment Hardware

RaceDepartment Hardware Registered

Im not a big fan of steam tbh, but yes it may well bring rFactor 2 to a bigger audiance

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

If someone stole your steam account with all your purchases and you didn't get it back I could understand your utter hatred of steam. But so far your argument is invalid. All steam would be tasked to do is download the core game files and keep those up to date with various improvements and patches. All mods would be installed in the same (or similar) way they are for rf1. Now anyone with the talent to keep all the current mods for rfactor installed correctly with their bad packing and incorrect file structures should have no issue with adding those mods to a steam install.

13. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

You have no idea ... but whatever ... I've made my point! The rest is up to ISI.

14. Snowy

Snowy Registered

Trymedia. Tried and tested, non invasive, doesn't kill your Optical disk drive, easy to install multiple installs on more than one computer.

15. The Stig

The Stig Registered

He has no idea about what? Installing mods in Steam? (That is the part you have bolded so I have to assume.) If you think it is a problem in any way then you have no idea.

Step back and look at your argument. We are saying that as long as they are compatible with each other, all distribution methods should be explored. You are saying that you don't want anyone to be able to buy it on a platform you don't like.

I'm am sorry, but if you have "made your point!" then I am missing it.

16. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

There is nothing left to say to a person who is calling him-/herself "The Stig" ... Like I said - I've made my point - If you don't get it ... this is your problem!

17. krivjur

krivjur Registered

Steam could be good marketing for rF2, but it shouldn't be the only way of selling the game. If ISI provides a few different options, each person can choose what they prefer and I don't see a problem. DVD pressing and the retail packaging might be the most costly alternative, so maybe it's due to be dropped. Can't say how much it'd have impact on sales, but personally I'm moving away from optical media.

Mod installs shouldn't be a big problem in Steam unless the DRM is very strict considering additional files (which I don't see ISI doing). We don't know the details how mod install works in rFactor 2 anyway.

18. Barin

Barin Registered

I have no Problems with Trymedia.

19. DA

DA Registered

Trymedia with support Russian players (activation without proxy) -_-.

20. Siggs

Siggs Registered

The steam hate in here (read: Frank) makes me laugh. Particularly the 'social networking' comment. Each steam user has a page, and each game has a group/chatroom to discuss the game. But that's it. You don't even have to use them, sooo...most. Invalid. Point. Ever. Personally, the chatrooms for games can be helpful if I ever have issues.

Anyway, I clicked steam, but I'm not ruling anything else out. Trymedia would also be a very good option, and like people have said, there are games that support multiple options. ISI selling through the steam store seems unlikely at this point, but it is interesting to think how much it might expand the userbase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.