Rfactor 2 licences [poll]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sommergemuese, Oct 6, 2010.

?

Which Licensing do you want?

1. Trymedia

154 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Steam

68 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. CD-Key Check/Online activation (Securom)

59 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Another one...

17 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I voted option 4 ... another one.

Trymedia worked ok, but with several issues like long game loading times, high resources usage in the dedicated.exe and a slow customers service. Furthermore, i guess the ISI guys lost many many time resetting the activations.

Steam looks to me invasive, becouse the restrictions it requires

I could have voted 3, but really i dont know very well how securom works so i didnt vote for it.

Option 4 for me means ... if possible to substitute Trymedia with a similar protection software could be a good choice, but for sure needing intensive testing, also using medium size rF istances and not only rF2.

2. Poro

Poro Registered

I'd go for option 4.

I never had any problems with Trymedia when running natively in Windows. I am however a Linux user and it would be fantastic if I could run rF2 in Linux with Wine (I can still dream of native-Linux rF2 ;-) ). I could get rF1 running in Linux with Wine, but the Trymedia activation caused some problems.

The best choice for me personally would be no licence checking, no DRM, no copy protection, definitely no CD-checks. But I also realise that we don't live in the perfect world.

3. Rantam

Rantam Registered

My vote goes to Trymedia :)

Regards

Ps. On a perfect world my vote would go to option 4 if that may mean no protection system. But sadly not everyone considers that you should pay for something if you're getting entertainment from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  4. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

This is a very good description in one word of what Steam actually is. Steam is like climbing the Mount Everest with a triple back pack - it doesn't give you any benefit but lags you out a lot !!!

Cheers
    Frank

PS: OK whatever you guys choose to protect your work, please don't choose platforms like Steam ... !!! There will be always some individuals who are willing to crack any kind of security systems providing their results to public, and one who is willing to use this free stuff. From my experience, I can tell that most Leagues and Host of Special Events are not willing to allow cracked executables and ban drivers if they are caught by doing so.

Just one Thought: I am not really sure, but as far as I know you guys are working with patched client executables (rfactor.exe) for each affiliate. What if the "rFactor.exe" sends its SHA-256-Checksum to the "rFactor Dedicated.exe" at run-time against a hard-coded list within the "rFactor Dedicated.exe" ... if it is not listed, the client can't join and in this way is not able to participate in the race or event. On the other hand very bad cracked executables do not compromise the stability of the race/event at runtime ... so each time you add a new affiliate, just recompile the "rFactor Dedicated.exe" and provide it as a single download. It is not a thing to replace a single file at all, even with more than 10 instance of running "rFactor Dedicated Server" in a single infrastructure - just my two cents.

5. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Steam is not as bad as many of you peoples say. I use it daily without any problems. And think about rFactor 2 would use Steam Friends and the Server Browser - this would be really awesome to be able to drive with friends and make sure to have great Public Servers which are almost always full.

TO the Cracking: Sad thing - it happens to every game no matter which protection. But I think this should not be discussed here.

6. fobban

fobban Registered

Step three: cd verification for online play would be nice, but Steam's DRM is light years better than SecuROM. I didn't buy F1 2010 for the single reason that it includes SecuROM, so I really hope this game won't.

7. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I like the idea of Steam introducing rF2 to a wider audience, but I'm not interested in it ruining my sysyem's performance (random jumps to 100% CPU usage). And I'm guessing that modding and add-ons are more challenging to use with Steam as well.

My vote goes to Trymedia.

8. IronFly

IronFly Registered

LFS system.

9. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Sorry did you ever used Steam? Thats not true ;)

10. Fred Joseph

Fred Joseph Registered

Amen x2 :D

I voted 'other' ... online activation ala iRacing is good.

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Trymedia is a good solution. The possibillity to start a game without the CD/DVD is a essential feature for me. The support works exellent so far. I just ordered additional activations four weeks ago and received 5 of them two days later.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I like the iRacing concept as others have said, bonus that way is maybe more money goes directly to ISI rather than to a 3rd party publisher? thats just a guess obviously! But seeing as rF1 sold pretty much through word of mouth and became a massive hit, then theres no reason to think that wont happen again with RF2...so maybe a big publisher is'nt needed in the first place!?

13. elwood

elwood Registered

I voted Steam because i like it, the way you pay, you move the account over another machine end the anticheat system, patch delivery efficiency and the multiplayer management.
    But Trymedia it's not so bad, honestly i didn't have any problem with them.
    I like A LOT the LFS online activation/protection.
    I HATE any kind of disk protection like Securom or Starforce.

14. GTR2fan

GTR2fan Registered

Does anybody knows if Trymedia system needs an permanent internet connection for play?

15. GTR2fan

GTR2fan Registered

ohhh yes!

16. Shorel

Shorel Registered

I don't see why do you seem to think that licenses system would be exclusive.

The best option is to have Trymedia and Steam and DVD all at the same time.

I have bought rFactor in DVD, having it shipped overseas, and it has been very good for me.

I would buy rFactor2 in Steam in a heartbeat.

And a lot of people would too.

In fact, Steam would probably be the most profitable path for ISI. The Steam sales are in fact redefining the way games sell. A very profitable ISI is in the good interest of all simracers.

Also: Steam has an API that provides activation, and online multiplayer, and other stuff called Steamworks.

There's no technical reason to use Steam for something else than activation. The network code would be the same no matter what the license is used, and it should be, as the rFactor network code is one of the best in the industry.

Your assumptions about having to use Steam multiplayer code if Steam is used for activation are incorrect.

17. The Stig

The Stig Registered

Steam is a great platform. I have steady internet, no misconceptions that Steam is part of an internet Big Brother conspiracy to steal from my Grandmother etc.

One thing alot of you don't seem to understand, Steam can be ONE distribution method. It does not need to be the ONLY method. Many games are sold on DVD or Steam and can be played together online.

Why would ANY of you not want rF2 marketed to the widest audience? It can be sold on Steam without you having to buy it on Steam.

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Lucky you, I'm on day 6 now :S

19. FL!P

FL!P Registered

+1 to that! I have a different install for pretty much each league/series I race in.

20. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Yes to bad I didn't thougt about it. Steam/DVD and another Actication so the Fan can choose would be perfect. And many Games goes this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.