Dirt Racing Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShawnB, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Dalton Dietrich

Dalton Dietrich Registered

kinda why I put clarify if wrong. i was TOLD that.

2. ShawnB

ShawnB Registered

Banking is off SLIGHTLY between 3ds Max and rFactor, but not even close to that amount Dalton... I think it would be more accurate to say that banking is off by about 3-5 degree's at the most...

3. The Stig

The Stig Registered

This talk seem to all be about dirt TRACK racing, ovals etc. Hopefully "dirt" and "dirt track" will be separate in the game in terms of how the surface behaves. The dirt of a rally course will of course behave differently then the dirt on an oval. It would be nice if the game reflected this properly.

4. Dalton Dietrich

99% of us are talking Dirt OVAL. 95% of us 99% could care less about rally,etc. We want Dirt Oval.

5. ShawnB

ShawnB Registered

Dalton, don't be an a$$ about it. All you have to say to the guy is if he wants to discuss Rally, to go fire up a new thread. BTW, I would be interested in Rally as well. Rally Racing is some INTENSE racing!!!

Stig, ISI knows we are talking about DIRT Racing, and not the general effects of DIRT... Since we are providing such detailed information. I'm sure it would all be separated if they do give in to some of our wishes.

Thanks,
    Shawn Blankenhorn

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
  6. Bill Malicoat

Bill Malicoat Registered

I am still not convinced the banking is off at all, I think a lot could be perception from the FOV most of us use. Would be curious on the ISI track builders perspective though...

7. Jason C. Ray

Jason C. Ray Registered

I take responsibility for the remarks that Dalton said about the banking. It's an issue that I've been struggling with since I've started building tracks for this game and it's very frustrating at times.

I would also like to hear what the gents at ISI say about it. Clearing that up would make my life much easier when I model a track.

Back to the matter at hand, I would love to have the ability to have dynamic track surfaces but, I think that the ability to have more realistic setup options and axles/parts would trump that.

8. Dalton Dietrich

sorry shawn and Stig. lotta things goin on at the moment.

JCR, thanks but you didnt have to take responsibility. No offence to you but I heard it as a "rumor" (kinda) so i shouldnt have mentioned it.

9. ShawnB

ShawnB Registered

No Problem Dalton. I just don't want to see our community starting up any fights here infront of ISI, and take away any chance of us getting these requests in game. Also, Bill makes a great point about FOV (Frame of View). We do run a high FOV in Dirt Racing so we can better see the cars next to us, since we don't have mirrors in Dirt Oval Racing... So Banking may seem inaccurate due to this. If we lower our FOV's to 17-22 depending on monitor size and how far you sit from your monitor, this may make our Tracks look 50 Times more accurate in banking.

Thanks,
    Shawn Blankenhorn

10. Dalton Dietrich

Whoever said about the Surround Sound Option.... AMEN!!

Ive been lookin at surround sound for my computer however I didnt know that RF1 doesnt support it (again so ive read). If RF2 does, I may go all out on surround sound. I wanna feel like im in the car.

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well dirt is dirt is dirt. CORR Trucks are the vehicle I would concern myself with dirt improvements. Currently Dirt is hard and unrealistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF6U3RGl8aw&fmt=22

12. Rory Collins

Rory Collins Registered

Sprint Cars & Midgets
    i appoligize if some of these have been said already. id like to be able to adjust the torsion bars(in pits only) by a 1/4 or atleast a 1/2 turn at a time. be able to space the right rear wheel. be able to choose rear tire sizes by height and width and maybe have a small window next to the adjustments to calculate the stagger. and be able to choose just by the stagger button if needed. that way we can get the stagger we want by using either tire and be changing the setup along with it.
    as far as the track is concerned, a changing track is a must. have live changing track conditions with any race 15 laps or so. throw in a rut or two every once in awhile at a select few tracks that are famous for them(but not all the time). those are mostly for the nonwing cars if they should happen to come out. maybe just a tad more perephial(spell) vision but only a tad more. but then again that one just might be me. lol

Rory

13. Christopher Joyal

Christopher Joyal Registered

Flag Rule Improvements (MOD/Configurable)
    We were talking about FLAG Rules last night. There are many different regional rules as has been mentioned previously by Shawn. Is it possible for the ISI Team to open this up to be configurable? Think it would be great for all of the other MOD creators as well.

One Comment on Track Banking Discussion: (by default the Boz Racing Sprint Car is using 65 degrees FOV)

I can confirm that the Boz Racing Sprint Car MOD is a whole new WORLD once your FOV is configured properly. I spent Saturday Night configuring mine, it came out to be 18 degrees. Please take advantage of the suggestions that follow the tutorial in the forum. The suggestions are all about cockpit vibration.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/93-Setting-up-your-rFactor-FOV-Tutorial

14. Bill Malicoat

Bill Malicoat Registered

Another thing that would make rFactor more real in the garage is real life adjustments for ride height. You actually adjust ride height by adjusting the suspension, this also changes the static tire weights of the car. You can do some odd things currently in rFactor by changing ride heights and leaving the cg weights. I would like to see each corner be independently adjustable. This will be the adjustment for the ride height and the static weight of the car at each corner as well. Hate to bring up iRacing, but there garage is like this with the spring perch adjustment.

With custom UI's we should be able to name the adjustment what ever we like, spring perch, torsion stop, etc.

15. Keith_Fitzgerald

Keith_Fitzgerald Registered

My vote goes to additional suspension and axel options. The dirt specific dynamic track conditions would be great, though I'm sure that even if it's not implemented that our brilliant track designers would find a way to adapt the already promised system to suit our "needs" within reason. Having the cockpit adjustable wing for the sprint cars would be awesome as well. It's also something that could be used in LMP mods and the like (provided the series' rules allow such adjustments) All the other goodies would be nice, but again, I really feel that the suspension models are the most important upgrade for the dirt racing community.

edit: Just saw Bill's post, GREAT idea! It would be neat to see the corner weights and figure cross weight and what not.

16. Shane

Shane Registered

I agree with everything! If just a few of the request are incorporated somehow in RF2 it would be great. Now I'm not a real life racer and it would be great to have all the real suspension options (to confuse us guys already lacking in set up knowledge...lol) but it would seem to me you would have to have a dynamic track to really enjoy all those options. So a dynamic track surface would be 1st to me, then in car adjustments, then suspension options. But, heck, I don't care I will leave it up to the modellers that are gonna make everything work to decide what's most important. And let me say our Dirt/Clay (oval) track makers and car modellers are some of the best! I'm biased though, I love oval track racing. But all rfactor modellers do great work. Two thumbs up!

17. spamsac

spamsac Registered

Indeed.

I started a thread about loose surfaces in general: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/87-Any-info-on-loose-surfaces

Whilst a lot of traits might be quite specific (or, rather, more important) to different types of dirt/loose surface racing, a lot of the fundamentals are the same across the different genres. A clean/swept line occurs in the WRC, Rallycross and the kind of dirt racing being talked about in this thread; the impact might be different across different series, but it's all variations on a theme.

It might be healthy to discuss some things in a broader sense since, if done correctly, it should then be able to be applied correctly across different track and surface types through definable material properties.

Speaking of Rallycross, I imagine its popularity will really take off in the US next year with the first proper season taking place http://rallycross.hu/d1finalholjes2010.html

Regards,
    Simon

18. Dalton Dietrich

Are the mechanical failures in rfactor 1 set up by the individual mods? or is that a whole game kinda thing? If its based all off of the game, then it should be improved. I would love to see mechanical failures be very realistic (driving down the straight away and steering breaks for instance, or motor just blows out of the blue) because S&#t happens and in real racing your not gonna stop it.

19. Joe Stornetta

Joe Stornetta Registered

Alright, I know that some of what I'm going to say has already been said by Shawn in the original post or someone else, but this is everything that I have put together for Dirt Racing improvements. Again, this is totally my opinion and some of it's already been said before, but please be patient.

Tracks:
    I think the dirt tracks in this original rFactor don't change enough. Example: the other day I raced a full 50 lap race and all the people that were on the bottom at the beginning of the race were at the bottom and everyone that was at the top was at the top. Some people moved their cars a little bit due to how the car feels on long fuel runs, but the track never changed. With a long race like that you should see 2 totally different tracks from the beginning to the end. Dirt tracks change very quickly, often as quick as a heat race can be run. The track should also feel different from one heat race to the next. And I don't mean like it would feel in 50 laps, but just small changes to the track from one heat to another. Also, what much dirt tracks do before a B Main or A Main is water and/or grind the track. It could start getting pretty slick after the heats or dashes, then the officials go out and grind and water the track to make it tackier. It would be pretty tacky for the first few laps of the main (narrow lanes, not much passing) but as the race goes on the racing groove gets wider and wider and the track gets slicker. It would be awesome to see that in rFactor 2.

In-Car Adjustments:
    In a sprint car, there are a couple adjustments that would be cool to have in rFactor 2. The main one that isn't in rFactor 1 is the wing adjustment. This is where you can move the top wing forward or back on your car depending on how your car feels (if loose you want to move the wing back and if tight you want to move the wing forward). Another adjustment that would be cool to have is the in-car shock adjustment. A lot of series ban this adjustment, but some of them don't. In a lot of sprint cars you'll see in-car adjustables on the Left Rear, Right Rear, and maybe the Right Front. I don't think I've seen brake adjustments in a sprint car, so I guess you could just keep those in for the other mods, but i never use it in the sprint cars.

That's just what I have right now. I'll probably think of more later.

-Joe Stornetta

20. HIGHSIDE

HIGHSIDE Registered

Everyone here seems to want a true sim. Lets do away with all the camera options for live racing. Gamepads and R/C views are for arcade games. I can get totally different results just by changing the view. Its funny how some people can use some blimp view with a gamepad and be fast. I may be out of line but using a view as an aide should no be an option.