Rfactor 2 licences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edu, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Bob (Punko353)

Bob (Punko353) Registered

I think TryMedia is a pretty good setup, it is easy to get more licensing and easy to activate.

I heard (or read) somewhere that ISI was thinking about only allowing one instance of rFactor per user. For us modders that would be a nightmare.

I heard if we want more than one install on a pc we would have to create a new windows ID and log off and on to use a different instance of rFactor.

I currently have a number of mods I am working on and I have about 20 different installs of rFactor installed on my box. I keep them in separate installs so I can be sure that another mod is not causing a problem with what I am working on.

If I ISI goes with a scheme that only allows one instance on a machine I will probably quit modding rFactor and move on...

Just my 2c

2. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

Huh ... not only for Modders !!! If this is gonna be the solution for having more than 1 instance on the same system !?!? this would really be a pain in the arse :( !!! So far I cannot see what the major advantage for this approach would be - if it is like that - only an ISI employee can confirm. But as usual - as an outsider one will not have all the information required to judge it on the first because of lack of in depth knowledge !!!

Cheers
    Frank

3. wims

wims Registered

I'm sure it would be possible to deal with that through a script.

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

With the one install per use account it sounds like settings would be held in the My Documents folder just like arma2, Warzone2100, MotorM4x and farming simulator 2010(don't ask). If that were the case a script could probably alter some files with path information OR it wouldn't even matter at all for multiple installs/copies. Each install/copy would just look for your settings in the same place (my docs) so you wouldn't need to rebind controllers or adjust setting in a new install which would actually be a benefit. Wait for confirmation from ISI. If they do mess it up just buy the game and wait for a fix/crack/patch. I am sure there will be one.

5. Nanook

Nanook Registered

What would happen if I were to buy rF2 & found I didn't like it or couldn't play it for whatever reason & wanted to sell it on or give it to somebody else?

Scenarios for all licence options please.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Trymedia - Not sure. I think you may be able to sell an account?

Steam - I know when the huge pile of crap GTA4 came out, Steam offered refunds for a few weeks but stopped when EVERYONE couldn't play it.. (Thanks GamesforWindows Live) I wish that game used the steam community. Pretty sure you can't gift it to someone else.

CD-Key Check/Online activation (Securom) - Sell the physical disk and code

7. Nanook

Nanook Registered

So, Trymedia, I could sell it/give it away, Securom, I could sell it/give it away. Steam, I'm stuck with it. Thought that was the case. Cheers ZP

8. wims

wims Registered

I'm not sure youre even allowed to sell your license according to the EULA. Most EULAs forbid it. Not that an EULA is a legal document or anything

9. guod

guod Registered

SimHQ Interview: Gjon Camaj on rFactor 2
    http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports5/motorsports_154b.html

Doug: Along the same lines as our previous question... It is a popular technique to copy rFactor on the registered machine 2-3 times to allow players to have an install for different leagues, series or testing. Any problem with doing this in rFactor 2?

ISI / Gjon: Yes... kinda. rFactor 2 will only support one player file per Windows user. If you wanted to do this with Vista or Windows 7, one would have to make more than one Windows user. However, each Windows user should be able keep one set of installed mods. This is a work in progress and can be changed before release.

10. doggod

doggod Registered

Is the issue of multiple copies of the game on one machine because of licensing, one machine would generally mean 1 person and the software wouldn't know whether tom or joe was sitting at the computer.
    For most games you dont need to install a second time just make a copy of the game directory after its initial install and licensing and archive it.
    That archive can be extracted multiple times(as long as windows isnt reinstalled or rolled back to break licencing if licencing is stored in the registery).
    The only issue would be it they decide to move the players file out of the game dir into the documents folder.
    but i cant see why this is necessary or required except to disallow a player from having multi installs
    Can you imagine what a game dir might look like in 2 years after the game release with a load of mods and tracks installed and possible uninstalled
    (or worse files just deleted because a mod-track test didnt go right)
    it couldn't do the stability of the program any good.

11. SickSquirrel

SickSquirrel Registered

Why so difficult? Just bring the game to the Stores, that you can hold it in your hand. Every game with one key with the possibility to create different profiles ingame.
    Every profil has separate folders for tracks, vehicles, drivers, and one global folder for tracks, vehicles und drivers which contents are available in every profile.

12. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

There was a later forum comment from ISI on this issue. Maybe in very thread. The post was along the lines of 'No decision yet, but we thought about it and realized it's not a very good idea to have just 1 PLR per user'.

13. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Personally a single install wouldn't bother me (I run many installs of RF1) as long as the mod selection menu was along the lines of what is offered in Race07, where each mod is displayed as an icon on a panel. The scrolling through method in RF 2005 is the main I (and probably many others) have multiple installs. In fact I now run an RF Launcher on one of my installs to get over that, and it has presented other benefits too.

14. doggod

doggod Registered

The reason i like different installs is i can rename the rfactor exe(f1rfactor.exe, gtrfactor.exe etc) slightly different in each install,
    then i can set up the logitech profiler with custom degrees of rotation for each install.
    This is necessary because some mods don't allow the steering degrees to go high to enough to allow for 900 degrees
    Id normal have open wheeler , GT and historic installs.
    Now if the ui in rfactor 2 allows for setting the degrees of rotation for each mod(override profiler) then adjust steering angle to suit individual taste ,
    with leaving the logitech profiler just set at 900 it would solve this to a certain extent.

15. Rikus

Rikus Registered

The best copy protection is a very good product.

Doesn´t matter what copy protection you use, at the end, this fall, look Black Shark series or Silent Hunter, that use hard copy protections and for what?

At the end, legal user has lot of troubles, and piracy user not, so the best way to do, is to make a good sim, and people will buy.

Greetings

16. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I would pay more for a more advanced Security feature- !! $$ !!

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I would pay more for No Security features. Allowing multiple installs per computer and if I do a separate race setup with a different PC I could just have it on their as well.

18. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

So what your saying is you would rather have ISI just give away rF2 to any joe for FREE! Dont you think the years of entertainment you have gotten from rF1 deserves to have alot of success?
    And to make it worse you want it so you can install it on multiple computers?- You cant do that with windows without paying for it.....

You are the Exact reason I would pay more for stricter securities, all you want to do is give it to all your friends for free so you look cool...loser

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

you sir are in error. I most certainly would not give it out to anyone for free. I assume some Chekhovian crack site will be on that task immediately. So why should I (a paying customer) have to go through CD keys and online checks and security screwing up my computer so much so that it makes it a nightmare to use when it will undoubtedly be available 2 weeks after launch with hacked EXE's and no more security?

I want to pay more (+$10) to make my life easier. I feel ISI don't have a problem with this way of thinking. Piracy happens. It's going to happen no matter what they implement so for our sakes (us loyal fans with money to spend) make our lives easier and go lite on the security. I read a study somewhere that found 96 percent of people pirating games and software had no previous intention to purchase it. So loss of sales figures are all moot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  20. cheeseds

cheeseds Registered

Dear Mitt Wilso,

one word, Ubisoft. Ubisoft DRM system for there games has dont more to ruin the gaming industry as whole more then piracy has ever done. EA is the same way, even one of there own employees things its garbage. the only people who have ever gotten DRM right is the indie community; the "you give me money i give you a DRM free game" method. minecraft is an exception it is internet based verification of a user name and password and if minecraft.net goes down you cant play one a server, period. right now Steam is the best DRM method available (i know im shaking a bee hive here), multiple installs of games on different computers on different IPs no dealing with CD's or codes or bull**** copy protection sign in and download your games (although it has suffered from the verification servers going down before)

P.S. install a game on multiple computers is WAY different then installing windows on multiple machines, theoretically no, in practice yes.