Rfactor 2 licences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edu, Oct 5, 2010.

1. DHR

DHR Registered

We have raced in steam games since 2008, mainly race07/race on/gtr evo sim wise of course in a number of different leagues in Europe, and there's been many cases of issue's regarding Steam involving drivers and league admins getting the issue's, some very recently also. It's fine most of the time these days but there seems to be something pop up still for some people even now, which obviously can be frustrating for someone right before a league race. There is also reports of problems with steam causing lag in some FPS games recently also which is caused by steam (normally fixed in a steam update, but they are not so rare)

2. Philip Oakley

Philip Oakley Registered

I use Steam every day, I think it's a really great system. It's pretty much the only thing keeping PC gaming on it's feet, so I'm all for it :)

3. IWE

IWE Registered

I will skip whole game if I'm forced to use steam. I buy games only on dvd and I prefer to play only against AI rather than touching steaming pile of ****.

4. AUS-mONKEy

AUS-mONKEy Registered

I agree.......

5. vali

vali Registered

I would like to get a DVD copy and an online license checking system: Do you want to join a server? send a key signature to the server and then it will validate that against an ISI service. No validation? No fun.

We all know sooner or later a crack to play offline will be developed, but just make it impossible to play online (where the real fun is).

I almost forgot it: Having an user tied to a key will make banning useful (think on famous public servers where some kids just ruin others races for fun).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  6. The Stig

The Stig Registered

That's not true at all. Lots of games on Steam retain the same folder structure. I have applied mods to several.

7. Edu

Edu Registered

is an interesting point...

8. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Only if the files are packed in GCF Files. Other Games have the same File-Structure like Retail and only one or more NCF-Files

9. Norman_24

Norman_24 Registered

Originally Posted by Uff

Steam is a great platform, but sometimes it makes a bit more complicated to install mods (as you don't have all of your files listed like in normal games). A part for that, it would be a good choice. I still prefer Trymedia, as it gave me no problems at all.

This is a great point... Simbin Sims being a great example of this.. I have them all and files are on two different drives... Wherever you install the sims/expansions and on drive C.. If it's not done right, the sims won't work at all..

As much as I like Steam and it's super convenient, I'd rather have a DVD install with TryMedia or whatever they plan to use...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I would stick with Trymedia. Activations are very simple and fast. Once you've done, you can do whatever and whenever you want.
    With Steam, you have to be online and the service has to be working. Had some issues with that. My friends are racing in R07 and they also have issues from time to time so... no, thanks ;-)
    I would live with DVD check, but Trymedia is what I prefer.

11. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

I'm unbiased about the issue, but the way I see it is that there is going be more dissadvantages to using steam than without it.

If it were possible to have rF2 marketed and distributed through stream as a standalone installation and activated once without any interference afterwards. I.e. running rF2 without opening steam. I would say yes. But I don't think it's possible.

Once you get a steam version on a title as mod heavy as rFactor it's just going to complicate matters for everybody. For example, mod teams could make use of the existing paid DLC system with auto updates. However, it's a extra step to actually package the mod, plus getting it approved with steam. Makes life extra difficult for the small teams and further user customisation of those mods would be extra difficult if files are nested.

Honestly, I think this community is special in the way that it's big enough, mature enough, and talented enough to manage itself. Any form of control that steam brings (even if it's for the best) might hinder things for the worse. :confused:

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Agree. Trymedia works as expected.
    There is no need to install additional/resident software. there is no additional data/load overhead.
    Finally (from my experience as simracing portal admin) this protection is effective especially when provided with FADE-like techniques
    Simply perfect.

13. Emmanuel Baako

Emmanuel Baako Registered

Agreed! Trymedia works well.

14. AUS MadMatt

AUS MadMatt Registered

Originally Posted by JWRPayne
    I was gonna say, the TryMedia system has been pretty flawless for me. License code recovery takes minutes.

+1

15. eddiespag

eddiespag Registered

I agree and concur with Carbonfibre.

So... where and when do I send my $100.00 for this new 'jewel' of a simulation?

16. Jouni

Jouni Registered

no worries, TryMedia. Steam for old trains.

17. SeKa

SeKa Registered

I had many problems with trymedia. Also many people, who i know.

It was only once possible to reactivate my licence, after a new installation. Afterwards it was chaotic. All Emails was answered automated, completely past to the topic. At the end asserted Trymedia , I would have sold my license and i have to prove the opposite. This is not in interest of the user, and i´m sure not in ISI´s interest. And i saw enough other people, who came in this no-win situation.

It was only once possible to reactivate my licence, after a new installation. Afterwards it was chaotic. All Emails was answered automated, completely past to the topic. At the end asserted Trymedia , I would have sold my license and i have to prove the opposite. This is not in interest of the user, and i´m sure not in ISI´s interest. And i saw enough other people, who came in this no-win situation.

I have no trust to third party, who should manage my licence, but obviously they are incompetent for this goal. In this case, I would like to recieve my Software and licence I have payed for, on DVD or something - but to my personal responsibility.
    ISI can prove my licence any time, or ask me.

This is my mind in my situation as a league admin and leader. I have to be able to modify structurs on my MPServers as needed, according to our league operations. Many leagues paying a lot of money for fast and efficient servers, to bring pings down, and more peoples without lags on track. I need a small exe, cheat protection, a superb netcode as rFactor contains, but no steam or something like that.

Steam, or not steam is not only a question for clients.

18. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

It would be great to buy it at steam indeed. Having a boxed version would be even better I guess.

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm sure there will be box version but later than online one. otherwise we would be wait for rF one year longer.

20. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

Since rF2 will also has its major focus on the surrounding modding community (as far as I know), Steam would be the worst-case-scenario in terms of that !!! I never ever had problems with the TryMedia way of distributing rFactor-Licenses from one system to another, even on changed hardware and operating systems.

I would still prefer a TryMedia way of distributing rFactor-Licenses instead of using distribution platforms like Steam in any way !!!

Cheers
    Frank