What about having a Modding section here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rantam, Oct 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Hi,

first of all, sorry to post this here, but i haven't found a better place to do it... feel free to move this thread to another section of this forum :)

Is there any chance of having a dedicated modding section for ISI products in this forum? This place would be perfect being an official ISI forum. May be different sections would be needed for each sims (rf1, rf2, etc)

I'm sure modders will come here to discuss about modding ISI sims, so this section may be some kind of "Knowledge base", something very necessary today as such knowledge is spread around the Net and is hard to find in some cases.

Having ISI guys around who may answer some questions (of course if they aren't too busy) will help to attract people also.

Just my two cents ;)

Regards

2. Nugit [Virtua_LM]

Nugit [Virtua_LM] Registered

I second that :)

3. Ahmad

Ahmad Registered

4. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Not only Modding.

Better like Complete Mods Section, WIP Mods Discussion, Dedicated Modding Question/Tutorial Section...

5. erale

erale Registered

This forum shouldn't be about certain mods. It should be about the modding and by modding I don't mean converting stuff from other games to rFactor...

6. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

7. Rantam

Rantam Registered

I see mods and modding like very different things. But yes, they both should be here: a mods' section and a modding section.

@erale, nobody is talking about conversions here. I'm talking about having a place where sharing modding knowledge (based on ISI sims) and getting help from other modders/ISI.

@ sommergemuese, yep something like that (despite there's a hell of sections on that forum).

Regards

Ps. No need to say i'd be happy to contribute with some stuff (tutorials, support, etc) if it ever happens.

8. erale

erale Registered

I don't think it's wise that unlicensed stuff like mods are hosted on the developers official forum.

@Rantam: I too thought abound a kind of knowledge base. But the problem is that many users come into these places and ask how they can convert car X from game Y as fast as possible to rFactor. So this section would need specific rules and moderators that sort these topics out. Otherwise this modding section would get really messy and useless.

9. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Why not? Other companies can do this too. (Like Bistudios ;))

Whatever it is Image Space Decision ;)

10. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Well, as far as i read nobody is asking here about hosting mods with ripped content (which is quite different to 'unlicensed stuff'. I haven't seen yet a mod with licensed content...) or even helping others about how to convert to/from rFactor.

We're talking about helping and sharing modding knowledge, in the case it hasn't been clear enough above.

Then comes that mods' section, which despite would be good to have i consider less necessary (there're countless places doing that). I'm sure the moderators around would control that section and what it's available there anyway, being this an official place...

Please let's not bring here the old "rFactor being rippers heaven" thing because frankly a) is not true and b) is old story and out of topic here. This is a new born place so let's keep it cool and clean :)

Regards

11. erale

erale Registered

What I meant with unlicensed stuff wasn't mods with ripped content. I meant any mod which uses real cars, names, sponsors etc. After all that's the decision of ISI. But I don't think it's the best idea to host a Formula One mod on this site because it could cause trouble with the license owners.

Also I wan't to say that I DO support the idea of a knowledge base type modding section. But it has to be moderated to ensure it's really being used as a source of usefull information.

12. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

all i know there are going to be a bunch of busy beavers on release day....

[​IMG]

13. Rantam

Rantam Registered

That's probably true. BTW, nicely illustrated :)

Regards

14. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong Registered

I would like to have a mod section too, maybe having a team section under the mod section would be even better.

15. guro

guro Registered

I agree :)

;)

16. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

Yes, a modding section would be appreciated.

17. spamsac

spamsac Registered

I'd like to see thorough documentation on implementing mods, but personally would rather not see specific mods on here.

Simon

18. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Sorry if it is not allowed to post links to other forms, but I think the structure used at the official BIS (Arma 2) forums is fantastic. Arma 2, like rFactor, is a simulation game, (except guns instead of cars), and has an enormous community full of modders. Like rFactor, modding is the biggest part of Arma 2.

http://forums.bistudio.com/index.php

Maybe that could give the mods some good ideas about some structures we could use?

An offtopic section, wip mods, complete mods, mod help, etc etc.

Regards,

Richie.

19. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Oh you are here too ? I know your great Videos :)

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We will be adding some more forums.

Not a problem ever, feel free to post any link that isn't really bad stuff. :)