rFactor 2 Track Progress

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

1 down, 3283198 to go... 2 down, 3283197 to go... 3 down, ... ;)

This was mentioned and discussed, quite a while ago. I don't feel inclined to go find it to be honest, but I'd say it was in this section somewhere. I think the gist of it was there'll probably be a basic framework in place, with more details to come later.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Just to point out how complex pitcrew animation can be in simulator that is open to modding.

When you think of Formula 1 pitstop you think of a bunch of guys standing at exact spots and waiting for the car to come. Then every one of them does some quick work and off you go.

Now think of NASCAR. These guys wait behind a wall. When car comes in, then jump out and run to the right side carrying tires. One of them lifts the car, while two guys work on each tire. Then they run to the other side of the car and to the same. Note that they also need to take old tires with them.

Two different racing disciplines and two completely different behaviors of pitcrew. So if we're talking about open platform then how many other scenarios can we encounter? Modders would have to be able to define such things (to some extent) in their mods and/or rFactor will need some sort of AI just for that.

And then it gets better... If you add the fact that players may stop at various angles and positions in pitstop, then you really need AI so pit crew does not teleport themselves to correct positions around the car nor they run through the car.

In a game like Codemasters F1 there is automatic pitlane and there is only one type of car and only one scenario for pitstop (with some variations). That's why they could put animations easily.
    With open platform with manual pitstops it's a whole new level of complexity.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Now I want some cows as my pit crew!

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

If you drive a HRT, you will have!

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

There is just another thing not discussed yet (I believe). What about car collision with pit crew?
    No.. I'm not joking. I'm deadly serious. We (me included) want pit crew all over the pitlane, but I'm sure it would be very bad looking if some one's Carmagenddon-like action would be allowed without consequences. It makes things more complex: how to animate movement of injured crew, distinguish injures and dead influencing the rest of race? What consequences should be given to driver and when. We know small injures happen. But what if driver will do that intentionally.

Also, in some series (Nascar, FIA GT) crew wait till car is stopped. But in F1 driver must stop precisely in a middle of crew. I can imagine how many not intentional "mistakes" may be done and penalized during race.

Finally all those things may be just ignored (crew will be not collided with a car for example) but it may look ugly.. etc etc.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

cow dude copy.jpg

7. knightyc

knightyc Registered

could just do collision like f1 2010 you hit the front jackman and he hits the car id imagine its damage the front wing a bit? so would cost you lots of time in pits

8. shum94

shum94 Registered

Q&A is here for me.

Hope to see improvments in crash & damages in rF2

9. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

such incidents will never happen in rFactor2. This should be a completely different engine. Gmotor2.5 only slightly improved gmotor2. revolutions in the sim racing will not be.

10. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

Carmageddon mod? Yay!!

11. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

schedule is terrible, but the qualitative physics
    bad of course that the machine is not crashing.

12. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

I think the big deal of ISI improving some features of the engine is to keep a balance between complexity and flexibility, 'cause after it needs to work fine on every car or track made by every modder, and yet to be viable on the most different system specs. That's a HUGE task.

For sure I'd like to see cool realistic crash scenes on rF2 but as someone said it'd probably need a "revolution" on the engine.

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Nice overall visual deformation (but twisted glass, which should break? Come on ;-) ).

14. shum94

shum94 Registered

Le mans.jpg

This picture inspires me and i'm not a trackbuilder ^^

I've got two pictures taken at the same place but i have to post both because they're not the same. Hard to tell though in 800x600. One i focus on the shadows, the other on the trees.

Le mans 02.jpg

PS : i've got them in 4k x 2k

15. DeDios

DeDios Registered

16. Flaux

Flaux Registered

So this is a LeMans Petition???

It get's my vote!!!

Oh and sorry for OT but this video is so bloody raw and perfect in HD.

17. DeDios

DeDios Registered

Isi please give us a true modern le mans track :D

18. O11

O11 Registered

I do sign this petition. A modern Le Mans would be epic.

The perfect track and race to experience the weather system and time of day effects to the max.

19. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Where should I sign?

20. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Another vote for Le Mans.