rFactor 2 Track Progress

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Oct 5, 2010.

1. EAO_BuckRat

EAO_BuckRat Registered

As an Aussie Bathurst would be nice, not my favorite Australian track but well known.
    Maybe Brendon of Bobs Track Builder fame could be of use with his lazer, point cloud data techniques.
    BTW, he seems to have stopped development of BTB. What a shame.

2. sg333

sg333 Registered

There's one screenshot of an open wheeler at what looks exactly like Charlotte Motor Speedway... i wonder if this is an official license or a fictional name with some amazing co-incidences :)

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

off the top of my head tracks I'd like to see.

Bathurst
    The Ring
    Machwerk
    Lienz
    Coffs Harbour
    Canberra
    Laguna Seca

Drawing a blank but those to start

4. DeDios

DeDios Registered

thanks! i didn't know it :)

5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Uhm just a quick question to the track-guru's...

I asked myself why you picked this picture to show us.

http://isiforums.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=107&d=1286427166

You mentioned that the track ambient lightning will change when the sun is coverd by the clouds... and looking at those clouds in the pic... I guess they will move and everything?

Sorry for the dumb question but it's quite late here and maybe I should immediately go to bed....haha :cool:

Edit: If yes,...how does this work? Will there be only a plain skybox-texture (blue) and the sun will add the lightning to it (daytime rendered in realtime)? And the clouds are modeled, so the sun "uses" them?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
  6. dragon

dragon Registered

Maybe this is the wrong section, but I have a question about the physics of tire or tires, will be deformation RF2 something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ABK1g3mjg&feature=related
    I have a question whether they will see the destruction of tires such as a flat tire or Tyre graining or tire wear like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgM4rNtCyjI or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0PYHnTlEjY
    Also, I have a question about the behavior of the tire at the time of collisions on the curb and how it will affect the movement of the suspension?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isA5_PglnaM&feature=related
    Furthermore, I question whether the track will remain different elements such as rubber tires or affixed to the dust from the roadside to be stuck to the tire which would lead to a deterioration of traction.

Thank you in advance for your reply and sorry for putting these questions at this point but have not found a more suitable place than this.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The clouds do move and are related to weather... If it's raining and you start to see blue sky you will eventually see it stop raining, if it's blue sky and you see black clouds forming you might need rain tires eventually... As to how the sun relates, don't know.

8. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

We have an entirely new sky system that we're using that allows full 24 hour transitions, with moving sun, moon and stars. There are varying densities of clouds given the situation, from clear sky all the way to fully overcast. The clouds do block the direct light from the sun and will (eventually, not hooked up yet) affect the track temperature...

9. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Sounds great!
    Is it also possible to have multiple conditions for different parts of the track, for instance it's dry in the pits and raining on the back of the track?

10. Michael Juliano

That is the current plan I believe, yes

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Great! Events at longer tracks will be more exciting thanks to that!

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Speaking of clouds...

It's an OpenGL-based renderer I've made about two years ago. This isn't exactly realistic rendering (nowhere near realistic :p ), but it looks convincing enough.
    I have no idea how sky will look in RF2 since so far I've seen WIP material only, but hopefully this video will shed some light on how far can one push it in realtime renderer.

13. O11

O11 Registered

Hell yes.

14. Michael Juliano

In my best Jim Carey voice, "Alrighty then...." Well now, it's been a few weeks since my last post. Art-wise, we've been exceptionally busy. I can tell you that sleep is very over-rated :p

So, let's see. We finished the second pass on the last of the tracks, which was historic Belgium. When you saw the video, static crowds hadn't been added yet, which they are now. We've started making the last pass on these tracks, which involves up-sizing textures when and where we can--where it makes sense to do so--as well as adding little pieces of glitz art. Do remember, we are trying to simulate large grids at good frame rates across a variety of machines--even with graphic options there still has to be give and take. There really IS only so much GPU and CPU bandwidth to go around :)

I also just finished reworking all the car/terrain reaction VFX. If you recall in rF1 our particles were... well, you know :) (I mean, they weren't BAD [well, the fire was]), but they weren't great either). Well, I'm glad to say that they are no longer "well, you know". The programmers added some elements so I can control the particles better. So now we can get gravel kicking up and falling back to the ground as you traverse over a sandtrap, or grass and chunks of dirt that get kicked up when you spin the tires while offroad. All the skids have had a make over, as well as dust and various car smoke. OH, and our fire now looks like fire :)

I've also created particles for new features that HOPEFULLY can be added before we release. If not, they are there for us to implement in post-release updates.

Um, let's see.... I also just finished adding first pass, animated team members to the pit area on one of our tracks (as a test to see if it's worth it). These include some guys standing around talking, as well as people sitting at the telemetry stations going about their business. These aren't really meant to directly interact with the cars--they're just there to give the pit lane some life. For a first pass, it actually does what I intended--the pit lane doesn't look like a barren wasteland devoid of people any more. Obviously we can't have hundreds of crew members walking around (well, not unless no one would mind the game running at 5 FPS), but it's FAR better than none at all...

Luc has been doing some work on a rF1 track "update" that should be included with rF2 in what we're calling the "mod" section (more on that later). The purpose of this track is to show you how any rF1 track might look with just enough work done to it to get it running in rF2. And he's roughing out some documentation of the procedures involved (which we will expand on post-release for you modders out there). The idea is to show you all that it will take SOME work to get an rF1 track up and running, and a bit more work to get it running with the ability to use new features, but none of this work should be too difficult.

Our Post FX work is progressing and hopefully we'll have some early shots to show of that when we think it's okay to do so (see, even WE have standards when it comes to WIP screens)....

And finally, Gjon and I spoke today about adding another historic track to rF2, HOPEFULLY for release. It seems reasonable to do it in the time we think we have left, but it is a track NOT to be taken lightly from an artist's point of view. No, I won't tell you what it is--it's a surprise (and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up in case it doesn't make initial release). If it doesn't make it then it'll be a great addition to our first post-release update. I will tell you that I'm very excited to be working on it though...

I'll see what I can do about getting some quickie screen shots of the new FX or something in the next few days for Tim to put up....

Anyway, that's about it for this update--think I've used up my allotment of virtual ink for this one. OH, I will add one more thing. The AI programmer has been doing a good amount of work in that area lately. The AI is not quite where we want it yet, but I can honestly say I'm having FUN racing the AI now, and I could never say that about rF1 AI. They are challenging, and a lot smarter about who is around them on track. Again, there's still work to be done, but even at this stage the difference is night and day, so kudos to him :)

And that's it from me for now. Oh, and for those that celebrate--have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers...

15. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Wow. Busy beavers over there.

Fire looking like fire is an important thing for me. I am on fire alot!

16. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

nice to see, that ISI have the right things in focus, the right things for active serious simracers :eek:

17. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Thanks for this update!
    Regarding particles: do they stick to the tires, and thereby effect the tire grip?
    Animated team members sounds really great. I think/hope it really adds to the immersion. Is it possible to have corresponding teamcolors for the team members?
    I am really curious about the post-FX. It will be interesting to see if you can achieve some good effects without the overused blooming and motion blur like can be seen in the recent NFS-Shift2-screens.

A new track, can it be done in a few weeks? Or are we talking months?

18. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

the only 60's GP track that i could think of that would be a quicky to do would be Monza..
    fairly simple, nothing fancy.. but man what a track to race the old ones on...

question.... i haven't seen this yet.. so.. are the clouds going to produce shadows on the track.?
    and will the track lighting produce shadows as well.. the night racing looks funny in rF1 with no shadows..
    also.. is it always a full moon.? major difference it lighting from a full moon with clear skies. vs a cloudy 1/4 moon.
    i'm sure something like this is to come a few years away for sim racing.. the shooter games are at least 2 to 3 years ahead..

19. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Even the newest Call of Duty (Black Ops) does not have an animated sky and full dynamic shadows I believe.

20. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

Black Ops is a step backwards.. get Bad Company 2.. no night stuff.. but dynamic lighting.. as many other games that are at least 2 years old have.
    check out Medal of Honor Airborne.. some of the best lighting i have seen.. but crap game for online.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHZL0_NHIw 3 years old, and tell me the lighting is not impressive..