SOLVED Instant replay smoother than regular replay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AKR, May 15, 2023.

1. AKR

AKR Registered

Hello,

I have noticed that the "instant replay" runs much better (more FPS) than the regular replays (showing the same visuals). Is this normal? How to accomplish the same (better) performance in the regular replays?

p.s. performance of rf2 dropped since the last 2-3 years, while the visual quality hardly improved. Adding better visuals etc is great and what we want, but only if the performance of the game engine etc is also improved. Not really the case here I guess. BTW I can test since I have an old (2020) isolated non steam version of RF2 available to compare against.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  2. AKR

AKR Registered

3. zoey21

zoey21 Registered

It's possible that the "instant replay" feature runs better because it is optimized to capture and display only specific moments of the race, whereas the regular replays have to process and display the entire race. However, it's also possible that there could be some other factors at play affecting the performance.

4. AKR

AKR Registered

Just realised the issue. I ussually watch replays during an event. If so, the AI is still racing in the background. This is why my computer is showing the replays in lower fps. After fully finalising a race, the replays get smooth...

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So wouldn't the instant replays be less smooth?

6. AKR

AKR Registered

Probably during the instant replays nothing much other happens in the background (or at least less demanding than during replays while an event is going on).

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ahhh, crap, I forgot what you meant by instant replays. I never ever use those :oops:

Yep, makes sense.

8. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Pausing the game before watching the replay may help. Watching replays with track side cameras always has the biggest hit on FPS, all other cameras views in replays are pretty good. The track makes a big difference in FPS, Brands Hatch is probably the worst.

9. AKR

AKR Registered

This indeed works, thanks. Also make sure the lock item in the black area bellow is "open" so that you can make the black option bar dissapear. This also helps a lot with fps.

10. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Leaving the pointer on the black area for about 45 seconds to 1min the FPS settles down to near the same as not having the black area showing. It seems as though cpu needs time to catch up to display the info in the black area.