This game's AI is absolutely terrible.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SharD, May 21, 2023.

1. SharD

SharD Registered

It doesn't matter which track or which cars I use, or which settings I use, the AI cars will keep crashing, spinning, taking way too much kerb, driving into the walls and reversing into the barriers when they spin out. There is no intelligent ghosting system either, like F1-22 has, for example, so, when one car crashes, half the field gets stuck behind it.

The game seriously struggles with keeping AI cars on the track. You can't have a normal AI race without half the field crashing out in the first five laps. You can't do street circuits with the AI because the cars will drive into the barriers. If I turn the settings all the way down, the AI will drive like a Trulli train from start to finish, which is another sign of awful AI. Again, it doesn't matter which cars and tracks I use, modded or official, the behaviour is the same. I have turned AI mistakes all the way down, aggression down, and still they crash all the time.

It seriously annoys me.

2. Duncan

Duncan Registered

AI has been totally broken with the last update. I am back to 1132 and totally happy.
    Simple for me to test now. I run Azure with F1 75 and as long as the first turn is a whole mess I will stay on that version.

3. SharD

SharD Registered

Yeah, it seems that it has gotten worse with the last update. It is especially noticeable with single seaters.

They drive like Maldonado on steroids.

4. Ozcanuck55

Ozcanuck55 Registered

I have been trying to run IR-18 at Indy Brickyard...usually total chaos in the first couple of laps after a couple of crashes and a pile up. Then SC comes out and the field that is left drives into each other behind the safety car. Lots of car coming in hot and sliding out in the turns. AI at 90%, aggression 30%, it was higher...lowering seems to make no diff. Indy is OK for hotlapping...cant race here. Too bad because otherwise I quite enjoy it....might try Gateway to test.

5. SharD

SharD Registered

Yeah, this game plays more like a demolition derby than a realistic simulator in that regard.

PirroC likes this.
  6. Duncan

Duncan Registered

With the 1132 version it's much better but I noticed that the IR-18 AI finally crash in a big one after few laps and after each restart.
    Finally I prepare my Indy 500 with the Indycar 2019 found in the workshop.
    The ai with this mod can race with no big crash. The only ones I encounter were due to me...

Ozcanuck55 likes this.
  7. SharD

SharD Registered

This game is just so incredibly buggy as well. Loading still takes ages, too.

Downgrading to 1132 to see if it is, indeed, better.

8. Pales

Pales Registered

I was doing some testing yesterday. It was purely observational testing as well, no racing from me. Just watching faster and slower classes navigating between each other on various tracks.

One of the biggest issues appears to be with the curbs still. The AI are just so damn sensitive to them and it causes a lot of unnecessary crashing. I raised it within Discord briefly and Devin responded to say that they're aware of the issue but it is proving very difficult to fix. I think if we had a solution in place for this, it would correct a lot of things as they're all sort of intertwined.

We've seen a huge changelog this past year for the AI and I think if we can get some kind of solution in place for this physics issue, it would be a great baseline for the AI to work from going forward.

9. SharD

SharD Registered

The AI are way too aggressive when taking corners. Sometimes they drive with four wheels onto the grass when taking a corner. This is what causes them to flip over and crash. They also make a lot of stupid moves when there is no room for such. I think the issue lies with .aiw lines and how they interact with the values put down in .rcd files, as mods that don't have an .rcd file tend to show this behaviour a bit less.

They also aren't intelligent. The single seater AI often reverses into the barriers when they spin, knocking off their front of rear wing. They do gung-ho style overtakes when there is no room, crashed cars don't swerve towards the side when they crash but stay on the track, causing the field to crash into them..

Mind, they do this with 0% aggression and a low AI mistakes value as well, so that is not the issue here.

As I said, they drive like Maldonado on acid.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  10. SharD

SharD Registered

What I don't get is that these cars: GRAB_333.JPG

.. with EXACTLE THE SAME PHYSICS (including the damage.ini files) as these cars:

GRAB_332.JPG

...DON'T crash all the time.

These are two different mods, with exactly the same physics. But the cars from the iDT mod (the ones at the bottom) CRASH ALL THE TIME, whereas the converted cars from the Cart Extreme mod (at the top) DON'T CRASH ALL THE TIME.

So what is the issue here? The physics are entirely the same. Is it because of the car's dimensions? The collision graphic? I don't get it.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Have you checked the RCD file for the mod? There are AI related parameters like Cornering Caution that can have an effect on the general AI behaviour. I also would take a closer look at the collision models for the cars.

12. SharD

SharD Registered

Yes, I have, and the .rcd file of these mods is the same file, with the same parameters. I will do a bit of testing with various files. I also think the FASTEST .aiw line makes the cars take too much kerb. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find more information about these lines.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There are some new lines of code that restrict how much the cars can lift when crossing a raised curb, but so far, only the BTCC cars have gotten that update. The AI having issues with the raised curbs in general could be a setup issue. When you compare the two Indycar mods, which you say have the same physics, do they also share the same default values for ride height, springs, dampers etc?

14. SharD

SharD Registered

May be worth looking into. The setups of the AI cars are set in the .hdv files, I believe, and, in general, I only change the wing settings and the pitstop settings through fuel allocation. Which AI setting (in the player json file) should I use?

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@MarcG always used to recommend, when users where having erratic AI issues. to rename the Player.json so a completely fresh one is created. If you have made extensive edits to your player.json, the changes may not work for all cars.

solerpalau, MarcG and Lars like this.
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

We're in a period of change for the AI, change for the better that is. Whilst this change is happening little glitches will happen but according to discord the Dev (s) are working hard on getting the AI to a decent state, just remember it wasn't that long ago that zero work was being done on the AI at all, be thankful they're getting attention now.

A little more patience required and soon they'll be back to good racing :)

pkelly, MikeV710 and Lars like this.
  17. vava74

vava74 Registered

A bug in the most recent update to the AI code was detected and is in the process of being corrected. If you follow the AI channel on S397's Discord you will have access to more news on the subject.

Ozcanuck55, Duncan and Lars like this.
  18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

19. Pales

Pales Registered

Devin is a legend!

vava74 likes this.
  20. boxer

boxer Registered

Lets hope the end result is an improvement ... sounds like the aupdates exposes multiple issues. this stuff should have been tested before realing.