Minimizing freeze on player disconnect

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by DanRZ, Mar 26, 2023.

1. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, on a race we had a feew freezes when players disconnects.
    I know that it is a known issue and i'm trying to minimize this issue.

I found this post here that seems to relate it to a bandwidth setup.

It uses 3 parameters in Multiplayer.JSON : "Max Data Per Client", "Downstream Rated KBPS" and "Upstream Rated KBPS".

Description :
    Code:
    "Max Data Per Client#":"if desired, a per-client upload limit (in kbps) will be used if lower than the computed throttle rate",
    "Downstream Rated KBPS#":"Rated downloading speed of connection, in kilobits per second",
    "Upstream Rated KBPS#":"Rated uploading speed of connection, in kilobits per second"
    I have a server with almost symetrical bandwidth at 1 Gbps.
    I though it would be great to use full bandwidth with high values ... Maybe i was wrong.

On LAN setup we get :
    Max Data Per Client = 10000
    Downstream Rated KBPS = 999936
    Upstream Rated KBPS = 999936
    which seems to be 1Gbps values.

I tried to play with those values.

First thing i noticed, "Max Data Per Client" gets back to 10000 whatever i set it when i start my server and close it. Is it normal ?

Than next, is it better to go full bandwidth or allow less bandwidth to minimize freezes that seems to be related to it. Sending huge chuncks of datas to players is probably not necessary and it can also cause those freezes, which appears to "penalize" other players when people disconnect.

The post i linked at start talks about 64 Kbps by player ... That seems very low !!!

I often get around 200 Kbps of upload, with spikes to 1000 Kbps which is normal due to my setup (8M ADSL).

256~512 Kbps seems to be a good spot for upload from player.

In the GUI, to have 38 player i need a minimum of 25600 "Rated BPS", which is 600+ Kbps by player ... another weird value.

Now i'm more confused than before ...

"Max Data Per Client" is not configurable and i need to set my bandwith only by "Max rated" values.
    I can't set a value by user to minimize freezes.
    :confused:

What are you guys, server admins, nowadays, using as a rule to setup those values ?

Thanks.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The post you linked is from 2012. Everything has moved a long way since then.

Do you have custom skin transfers on, or people joining with differing car upgrades? Try removing/disabling those.

3. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Thanks, no custom skins transfer.
    And the BTCCs i used were on a fixed upgrade/setup by server configuration.

What do you mean by remove/disable the upgrades exactly ?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was referring to both skin transfers and upgrades, and I just meant make sure none are being used.

5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I'm using upgrades on LMP2 for example and i fixed the upgrade by using ini in settings folder.

Maybe it's better to fix the upgrade in the .ini inside the rfcmp which i do sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023