Car detail goes down at night

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Richard Busch, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Like the title says. I've been doing some night racing at Sebring. I've set the time to run at 24 so that I get some running during the day and then the sun goes down and I get a few laps at night. I noticedcar detail goes down at night. Is there something I can do? Game runs great. I don't think I have detail set to turn down for any reason.

upload_2023-3-18_20-37-17.jpeg
    upload_2023-3-18_20-37-36.jpeg

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Ya, it's a game issue. The only thing that casts shadows is the sun, so when it's gone, things just start looking flat.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The game will look 6700% better with the driving line off.

Kahel, Manfredk2 and The_Bad_Fasterd like this.
  4. zzigg

zzigg Registered

i also notice that the gt3 cars,ONLY the aston and amg when they are in front of me more than 4s there are some parts of the body missing.try lot of things. uninstal the cars, verify files.diferent grafics........win11,rtx 3080,g9 49". the others gt3 cars are ok

5. Kahel

Kahel Registered

@Coutie
    Why not just add a moon.
    Keep a version of the sun at night... that only emit 10% - 20%... and replace it by a texture of the moon...

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

But then you have to calibrate the phases of the moon with the year and date to match the actual image of the moon as seen from the track's location.
    There is an old MMO that had day and night and originally the moon was always full & fixed in position. 10 years later they have the moon transiting across the sky with a correctly calculated crecent, half, full moon. But only in the newer maps. The original part of the MMO, still has that big ol ball hanging in the night sky.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The sun is around 400000 times brighter than a full moon. Without making a very unearthly moon it won't emit anywhere near enough light to offset the flattening effect headlights produce.

And worth pointing out @Richard Busch there is no loss of detail. It's just without sufficient shadowing things look flat, and the game can't generate shadows for all the nightlighting without slowing performance to a crawl.

8. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

Devin made the following comment on Discord a few months ago.
    devin_light.jpg

It is unknown if work is underway to rewrite the lighting system, but it may improve over time.

Spyro and Lazza like this.
  9. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

Who knows. Lighting on daytime is very good, one of the best looking sims if you can run high settings, only shadows could get an improvement. But night is like Devin said, and it seems is a massive work, but sound always was a similar question and after years, they did a proper sound engine

10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

At the pace they are working now, I'm positive that it will arrive anytime not too late. Graphics are very good currently, fixing the running shadows and the lighting at night would top it.