GT3 leads to crash

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Victor EvTv, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Victor EvTv

Victor EvTv Registered

It was perfectly fine till today. Nothing changed on my system at all. When I try to play single with GT3, see load screen, after that black or short flash of interface and game immediately crashes to windows with out any messages. When I choose other cars its fine, no problem. Already tried different ways of reinstalling game and packages - nothing works for me

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Use windows to rename your player.json file. (that is always a good first step. ) Then in Steam Validate file integrity. Once at the main rF2 menu, look for Pending Updates near the top center. Click on that and let it hopefully finish installing any partially installed content.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Respectfully disagree Dave. Renaming the player.json can lead to the game also clearing the other json files.

@Victor EvTv run and install/repair each of the 4 files in Support\Runtimes. If still not working, rename the whole Userdata folder, verify rF2 files again, and see if that helps.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

NOT disagreeing, but doesn't renaming the Userdata folder then also trigger rebuilding the player.json? Seems the same. But likely I'm overlooking something....

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Renaming the whole userdata folder means you have all the previous files (including .json files) sitting there in the renamed folder as a backup. Yes, then the game rebuilds everything (except the controller profiles, which the verify will restore). This is a good cure-all because it covers any broken .json files, dodgy shaders/cache, etc, plus all the old files are there to reference or even just copy back in their entirety.

Renaming only the player.json risks (how often? I don't know, but it happened to me maybe 6 months ago) the game resetting things like the controller.json, and unless the person has backed that/those up that means they lose their settings. I don't think renaming just that file has often been a recommendation, and when I searched the only other recent one that came up was Alex suggesting it presumably to reset any strange settings in there that might be causing issues. Maybe he knows that recent changes mean it won't have any side effects, or maybe he's assuming just resetting that file won't cause any other issues (as I did, until I lost my controller assignments and settings).

6. Victor EvTv

Victor EvTv Registered

Thanks for involvement!

7. Victor EvTv

Victor EvTv Registered

Only renaming of UserData folder helped))) Have to apply all my settings again and see if it works, but thank you so much for that advise!

8. Victor EvTv

Victor EvTv Registered

so, under default settings everything fine, but when I apply my settings problem returns... Which exactly settings may cause it?.. Could it be session or graphics? Blow my mind...

9. Victor EvTv

Victor EvTv Registered

So, I have no idea... I can play any car except my favorite GT3:(:(:(

10. Victor EvTv

Victor EvTv Registered

Crashes at changing Game Play settingso_O:mad:

11. Victor EvTv

Victor EvTv Registered

When I turn off Invulnerability it leads to crash GT3(only)... When I turn on Invulnerability I can play GT3... Insane!

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Ok, thank you!!! Now I see.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think we're at a point where we need some log files to try and work out what's going on. First though: which files did you copy back in after a fresh Userdata?

I'd say a trace file (with flushing) and a dump file might be useful for diagnosis. Bear with me here, these instructions are slightly scattered...

Trace file: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-create-a-trace-file.62304/
    The first image shows where to enter the +trace=2 command. What you actually want to put there is this (without the quotes): "+trace=2 +traceFlush"
    This will create trace files in your Userdata\Log folder. You want the latest one after a crash, and its name should match the time you ran the game.

Dump file: in this folder:- steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData
    You'll hopefully find a file called rFmini.dmp. It should have a date/time matching your last rF2 crash (otherwise it's not relevant).

If you can grab those files and attach them here after a crash, that may help to work it out.

(More detailed instructions here, but don't worry about the other logs mentioned: https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/diagnosing-issues-using-logging)

14. Spotti

Spotti Registered

I'm having the exact same issue. Did a first Install Rfactor2, never played the game before
    Just wanted to do a brief comparison to ACC and every GT3 Session keeps on crashing on the desktop, after loading the track 100%
    Other cars are fine.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The 100% error is often due to newer AMD drivers. If you have an AMD based video card, use an app called DDU to remove your current drivers and install v22.5.1. Those are the last fully compliant drivers. (download v22.5.1 prior to removing your current files)

Spotti likes this.
  16. Spotti

Spotti Registered

Ty, it works fine, besides, using an ancient AMD driver.
    ;)

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

yeah it sucks. AMD has released a flurry of drivers since the 22.5.1 but none seem to specifically address the rF2 problem. I don't know if S397 can fix it themselves.

18. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Which car, or all of them?