New Sound Engine - Settings

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Lazza, May 14, 2022.

1. Florian Dubiel

Florian Dubiel Registered

Thank you, I understand. But in this case it was a GT3 car, no mod, and they are updated to the new sound engine with the latest update right? Perhaps one day in the future they will fix it, I mean a Porsche GT3 is f... loud when peeing by sounds like an electric car right now

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I checked both live and a replay and my own car is as loud as the others. (obviously I had AI driving when live) (GT3 cars - I was in a Porsche)

One thing to check just in case it's tricking you: if you have the microphone/trackside cams set to immersive, and you're watching your own car, you always hear your car from the centre, while the other cars going past will have their sound pan to one side which can seem louder.

I'd say check a static trackside cam (ie go to a camera and press End so it's under your control and doesn't switch), and compare the different cars going past. If yours is still quieter I don't know why - I think my settings are basically all default, so your fresh file should have nothing affecting it.

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  3. Florian Dubiel

thank you, I deleted the sound settings in the player.JSON file and checked everything. Still sounds odd to me. OK, I have driven the BMW M4 wich is not that loud when comparing it to real footage but its super low in volume in rFactor2. The Porsche is a bit louder. I have the feeling that all other cars around the track, behind the cam, are always louder than the one close to the camera or focusing at. Currently it is what it is in rfactor2. Onboard I like the sounds a lot. Only replays are kind of disappointing to me
    I have found some cool footage from Long Beach in Binaural Audio.

references

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Without knowing for sure, I'd say one thing rF2 might be lacking is the reverb/echo from car exhausts as they approach - I think from a quick look that the 'cone' applied to the sounds will mean you don't hear any of the exhaust sound until the car has gone past. That makes them seem fairly quiet when you're watching them drive toward you. (should also say it's not that you couldn't also apply some exhaust sound when in front of the car; just the skip barber example I think doesn't do that. The sound engine itself is effectively unlimited, but I haven't played with it enough to know what effects are available)

From your video I definitely think Immersive mode is a factor. At 1:15 for example you hear what I think is another car on the same straight passing the camera, to the right, and that comes through quite loud. Then when you drive past, the camera follows you so the sound stays centered - and that can make it seem quieter (plus, as shown later in the video, I think your car is indeed a little quieter than the others - but it's the car, not because you're driving it). Long beach also has quite a few spots where cars are close to the camera on different parts of the track, so you're hearing them a lot while just watching your basically solitary car in the distance.

Also worth checking all your sound settings (windows and the game) as in my first post, to make sure the sound isn't becoming imbalanced in that way. E.g. you want to make sure windows/rF2 is outputting the right number of channels to match your speakers, and when comparing videos you need to make sure the formats are compatible.

Finally, I think we have to accept there will always be some compression in the way games play sounds, because very few people will want a realistic variation in volume across different scenarios. I don't know if we can reduce or disable that in rF2, I see there's a Clip Limiter in the player.json but I haven't turned it off to see what effect it has. If the dynamic range is limited it'll mean that turning up your sound/speakers to get "loud" trackside shots of cars blasting past the camera, will also have overly loud cars way off in the distance. But again in this area, check your rF2 volume in windows is set to full as per the first post, otherwise windows itself will compress the audio.

And as always, I could say stuff that's wrong, and hopefully people like Devin who know better will correct me in that case :D

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  5. Florian Dubiel

Wow, thanks a lot for answer. That was detailed. The volume is at 100% for rFactor2 on my system/windows. But for now it seems what it is

6. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

Guys I run a logitech G432 headset and i still cannot see any profiles for HRTF other than Built in and Default. I do not use VR just triple monitors. Any suggestions?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you referencing VR due to MarcG earlier having this issue and narrowing it down to a VR dll he had installed?

It has to be something about your device or settings doing it. Assuming you aren't similarly throwing a third party file in there somewhere that's interfering.

(eg if you're using some of the logitech software, maybe you've enabled some sort of 3d/surround effect in there?)

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As Lazza says mine is a VR DLL causing the issue, have your got any 3rd over DLLs installed? If so try removing them one by one too see if it's a particular file causing it, could help to narrow down as to why they're causing it.
    If you don't have any other DLLs, then verify files and see if that fixes it.

9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I'm guessing that particular headset is using its own version of spatialization effects. My VR HMD does the same thing, and so do many USB-type audio devices as they often include their own dedicated audio processing system. Whether bypassing that system is worth the effort or not is another question, your mileage will vary.

10. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

Thanks everyone for the suggestions yes I don't have any third party DLL's that i know of. I'll double check with the headphones but I don't even run Logitech software just plug in and let windows handle it. It maybe these headphones do not allow it.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would say that's unusual, but until Marc remembered his dll we couldn't work out why he had those options, so anything's a possibility I suppose :D

You don't have any windows 3d spatial effects on, right? I covered that somewhere in the first post...

12. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

No I have followed your OP

13. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Windows can install the Device Driver automatically (or a Generic Driver) for any USB headphones, it wouldn't necessarily require Logitech software be running or installed by you. That may be enough to block rF2's access to utilize HRTF. Searching for the specific DLL used by the headphones may help track it down, at least temporarily for testing purposes.

When the HRTF options are not available, it suggests a conflict with a competing spatialization app exists somewhere in your system.

If you have access to another set of headphones (not USB) to plug directly into the audio output jack, that should confirm the reason for the lack of HRTF with the Logitech HP.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  14. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

Thanks I’ll check this out