Game crashes and goes to desktop

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christian Pallesen, Mar 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Christian Pallesen

Christian Pallesen Registered

Hi rFactor 2 community

My game has started to crash more and more occationally and its starting to become very frustrating. In my last multiplayer race on Daytona I experienced a game crash twice, both occuring in the same corner (incident?) turn 6. After my first game crash my teammates took the wheel and did a couple of hours of driving and then I came back and after around 15 minutes of driving my game crashed again. To explain the crash it starts with a screen freeze but physics keeps going, so my car keeps moving until I eventually hit something. Then after a couple of seconds after the screen freeze the game closes down to my desktop without any form of error message, just a clean shutdown.
    I have uploaded trace logs (not allowed to upload performance logs) from both crashes and hopefully someone can point me in a direction towards a potential fix?

Thanks in advance,
    Christian Pallesen

Attached Files:

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What are your hardware components? Videocard & driver version, cpu, system ram etc.

3. Christian Pallesen

Hey Davehenrie
    Thank you for your quick reply, here are my specs:

GPU is nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb with newest drivers version 528.49 for that race
    CPU is Intel core i5 8600k running at 4.9GHz
    Ram is 16gb ddr4 3200 Mhz
    Game is installed on old hdd :(
    Windows 10
    Ingame settings are pretty much the lowest possible

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Can you post the minidump file? https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/diagnosing-issues-using-logging

5. Christian Pallesen

Hi Coutie

I will upload the minidump of the last of the 2 crashes, is there any way to find the other one?

Attached Files:

6. Coutie

No, it gets overwritten at every crash.

7. Coutie

One thing to try is go to the current build, you're still on 1131. Don't even know how you're able to join VEC servers with the old build.

8. Christian Pallesen

Hmm, i'm pretty sure I was on the current build, maybe it was 1131 during the race? The race was on the 11th of February?

9. Coutie

Oh ok, I thought you were practising for the next one.

10. Christian Pallesen

Hi again

Normally during my races i'm running simhub with a plugin to transmit live data to my teammates, but in an attempt to try and fix my disconnect issues I figured I could do this race without using simhub. And actually I did not have any software issues this time. Is this just random, or does any of the error files I posted have any sort of indications that this could be a fix to my issues?

Kind regards,
    Christian Pallesen

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your main symptom sounds like a graphics crash, but you got an onFatalError 11 error which often means some file access issue, and you almost certainly have quite a long-running install with lots of old files in it. I'm basing this partly on you having the MotecPlugin AND DAMPlugin. These do the same thing.

In your position I'd make a copy of (or move) the Userdata and Packages folders as a backup (put them somewhere else), delete all the folders in the rf2 folder except Installed\, verify local rF2 files in steam, and start from scratch.

I'd normally advise against this as a first step but if your installation is quite old I think it's a reasonable step to rule out hard to find issues with old files. You could instead just rename the Userdata folder, verify files, and try again.

Lars likes this.
  12. Christian Pallesen

Hi Lazza

Thank you for your response!
    I will give it a try and keep you posted.:)