Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. diegopl2

diegopl2 Registered

Hi, I have the HP Reverb G2. And I have both the memories and the cpu tighter than the screws of a submarine. I've read that VR benefits a lot from the X3D cache of the ryzen 5800X3D, so I guess it will do much better with the upcoming 7000 series X3D. I'll keep an eye on the benchs when they come out.

The only stutter issues I had were related to MSI Afterburner, it seems that this app doesn't play very well with VR. It took a few weeks until I found out what caused them by this application.

DJChrizz and EricW like this.
  2. EricW

EricW Registered

I think you will find huge improvement.
    I have little experience with the current AMD chips, but it sounds very promising.
    Recently went for 4090 and 13700KF, literally transformed the experience.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  3. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello again.
    With my Quest 2 and my old GTX 1080 I usually use a FOV of 0.7 in the Oculus Debug Tool (ODT) in order to get decent performance/quality in rF2.

The FOV is a parameter that after being set by hand in ODT you have to close the OculusLink (Cable or Wifi) for it to take effect and it cannot be saved like other ODT parameters. In other words, if you do not remember to do it before connecting the viewer to the PC, you have to exit and re-enter after making the change.

The improvement is brutal so it doesn't hurt to do it every time, but...

The Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) app has two ways to assign this FOV, one in a general way and another by creating a profile per game.

The method of assigning it by profile does not make sense and not works, because when it detects the game the headset must already be connected and it does not apply the change.

But from the general OTT settings it can be configured for the whole team, which I don't care about because I use that FOV in all my games, but I can't find the OTT configuration that does it as soon as I start the PC. I have tried many combinations, but it only works when I hit "SAVE".

and now my question

Is there a way to automate this FOV setting? I don't care if it's due to a script, OTT or a macro, I just want to know if someone managed to save this FOV value.

Thank you.

4. JParra

JParra Registered

Since the last update the desktop shortcut opens the desktop version for me.
    Does anyone know what parameter to put in the shortcut to start rF2 in VR?
    I don't want to change Steam options because sometimes I need to open the configurator or run the game flat for testing.

Thank you.

5. Hazi

Hazi Registered

-VR

pilAUTO likes this.
  6. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Thank you!

7. JParra

JParra Registered

It does not work for me.

In my shortcut there is this:
    steam://rungameid/365960
    I have tried:
    steam://rungameid/365960 -VR
    steam://rungameid/365960/VR
    steam://launch/365960 -VR
    And in the end it worked with this:
    steam://launch/365960/VR

Hazi likes this.
  8. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Hi VR fans,
    ok. for 2 days I changed my mainboard & CPU from a Intel i7 10700k DDR4 Ram to my new
    AM4 with the ryzen 5800x3D.
    I think (I know now) the performance problem was the cpu for my VR driving.
    rFactor2 runs so much smoother and better now, only with this CPU, it's unbeleivable.
    My RTX 3090 can work now better with this Ryzen cpu, not much load but stable at 90 fps in 5k and 8xAA for a smooth track

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  9. JParra

JParra Registered

rFactor 2, especially in VR, is the simulator and I would dare to say the game among all the ones I have tried, that gives more importance to a good CPU and a good motherboard. Some time ago I read that it is due to a specific bandwidth in the transfer of data packets (I don't remember at what level) that resulted in problems especially with computers with lower quality motherboards.

DJChrizz likes this.
  10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

This is BS. Motherboards don’t have much impact on performance(as they share the same chipset). It’s rather RAM/Infinity fabric, but not the motherboard.

11. JParra

JParra Registered

I cannot give technical data because I have tried many times without success to find the information that explained it, but I have seen and verified low performance of rF2 on computers where the CPU and GPU were high-end, but mounted on low-range motherboards . In these cases, performance issues were noticeable even when the CPU and GPU were far from 100% capacity.

I wish I could remember or find that technical information, but I have never been able to find it again.

12. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

I don't know how much CPU or Cores rFactor can use. I know rF2 has a multicore support since a while but how many cores ?
    Many gamers have a 8 core cpu today, this is a lot power
    And yes, I was surprized how much the cpu change done with rF2..

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

It’s very hard to write a game that will efficiently utilize 8 cores. I think all rF2 physics + AI utilizes one core. AFAIK another one is used for graphics. Don’t know about sound - it’s often on another thread in other games.

14. Andregee

Andregee Registered

One core means poor Performance, two core nearly double the performance and the third core gives only a small amount of extra performance.

15. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

I read a lot of this 7950x3D AMD and the 5800x3D and finaly I bought the 5800x3D change from my I7 10700k. In 4k gaming the difference of the 7950x3d and 5800x3d and 13800k I9 is not much !! quite same. So .... it is amazing now for me.
    The difference from 10700k to the 5800x3d is ... so damn amazing a lot more power I can't beleife this. My 3090 works now a lot better / more and stutter tracks like Albert Park / Melboure are now without ! Problems in high detail driveable in 90 fps. On start-finish you notice more CPU power but enough for constant 90 fps. The 5800x3D is AMUST have for the VR users in my opinion.
    The price is lower now cause the new x3D released.
    I was waiting for the 7950x3D and want to buy one, with DDR5 and new Board but I bought the 5800x3D and this is amazing and the CPU benches are most cases in Full-HD.
    What we play in VR ? Around 4k-5k. So ... the 7950x3D is good when you own a 4090 RTX I think but this is not nessesary and expensive too.

16. EricW

EricW Registered

This is not completely true, and definitely not that simple as suggested.
    It makes a huge difference.
    The cheaper motherboards most of the time have a far less advanced AI, Bios presets and simply cheaper components.
    You can get a lot out of them, but not by using default bios settings, which are used when you buy a system and certainly when you build your own without touching the bios settings.

17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Show me it when motherboards have the same chipset, same RAM speed etc.
    Expensive motherboards have more features, better VRMs so that you can overclock more.

18. EricW

EricW Registered

That's what I said.
    So there is a difference, despite of the same chipset and ramspeed.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

19. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Anyone with a Pimax here? I have some troubles in VR latetly. Until now i used a Samsung Odyssey Plus and was more or less fine and had no bugs. But now with the Pimax there were two bugs introduced. First i don't see any driver labels although i see them on the VR mirror and second the sparcs are complety bugged. They are 3-4 meters wide and the complety distract me while driving. Does anyone else have this issue?

20. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

To see correct sparks you have to turn on non-parallel projections in Pitool, notwithstanding similar option in the player.json. If sparks are critical for you I'd suggest turning on this option in both: player.json and Pitool. This way it is less costly for performance. I refused from sparks to optimize performance.
    I'm not sure I can help with labels, but you could play with the following settings in player.json:
    "Display Vehicle Labels":0,
    "Display Vehicle Labels#":"0=never 1=single-player 2=multi-player 3=always",
    I have it zero and assigned "TAB" button to turn labels on/off. No issue here.