Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. bears

bears Registered

@svictor you really are a star :) I am in awe of the time and effort you must put in to your amazing work...

2. svictor

svictor Registered

sure, any help would be great, thanks!

vava74 likes this.
  3. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I did love your flowering touch, but somehow this summerlook makes more sense. Well done.

vava74 and svictor like this.
  4. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Happy to help. Made good progress and getting good results with what I've done already.

For those that like to read behind the scenes and enjoy all the nerdy stuff then read below :D

AI Corridors
    Corridor lines are what tells the AI the boundaries of the road where they can drive. I found a lot of errors with them. The first third of the track was fine but after that I found many areas where the corridors were beyond the road (see picture).
    20220902130129_1.jpg 20220823031326_1.jpg <- (white and blue lines)
    Because there were so many I decided to just press the 'Find All Corridors' button and that fixed them all in a flash. I felt doing this would be a lot quicker then editing them all by hand on this very long track. I did temporary edit the .tdf file before doing this. This tells the game which surfaces I wanted Corridors on and which surfaces I did not. For example I did not want the AI's to drive on Side walks or side roads, so I set them to Legal=false.
    I then went through the whole track and made minor changes where needed.

To try keep the AI from getting too near the white posts or walls I offset the distance of the corridors 0.5 metre from the road edge. There is no option to do that with the AI editor its self (that I could see), so I actually wrote a software program from scratch to do it for me. The program goes through the .aiw file line by line, subtracting the values of the corridors by 0.5 metres. It changed 12,129 lines for me. Double that for both sides of the road.
    20220903142139_1.jpg

Track Limits Lines
    These are for the penalty system when human players drive off the track and get cut warnings. I fixed a few areas that had errors like this>
    20220902125036_1.jpg
    The game would wrongly tell you you had cut the track if you had flag rules on and avoid your lap. Happy to get rid of them. These have been in the track long before svictor took over.

I went one step further and extended the Limit lines well beyond the road sides for the whole track just so you don't get as many track limit pop up boxes. Again I wrote a software program to do that for me. On a track like this if you leave the road you most likely be loosing time not gaining time anyway. There were a few corners I manually edited them back in.

AI Fast Path (Racing line)
    As svictor said, the fast path is a bit wild.

I was not going to work on this, as it's a huge job on a huge track like this, but I've made a start on it.
    I needed to decide whether to try manually edit the one there already or drive a new one from scratch. Because I still make too many mistakes when driving the track I thought it would be best just manually edit the one there.
    This part really shows up the slowness of my 8-9 year old PC. If I want to move a line I select some nodes, move them with keyboard keys. The big slowness is I then have to wait 5 to 10 seconds for it to move a little, then repeat again wait 5 to 10 seconds. If I need to move the line a long way, it takes forever because of the wait between moves. Think it's because the track has 12,129 nodes, there is less wait on a short track. If it was not for the wait the task would be done already. No software program that I could write would help here. Someone send me their fast PC :D (warning you will not get it back ha).
    At this point in time, I've edited about 70% of the AI fast path. 5 days work. I guess I'm committed to the end :D. If I was to roll back time I think I would have drove a new path myself and then edit any mistakes, think it would have been quicker.

Tonight I might test between the original and my new AI file and count how many times a AI car crashes and see if there is much improvement. I will time the car to the half way point of the track and see if it' faster getting there with mine. I don't expect miracle cures as we all know the AI can do what they like but hoping there is improvement :D.

ps If any track maker would like to use any of my AIW programs I could post them somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    haunetal1990, Bostrom, Emery and 12 others like this.
  5. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Thank you, DJCruicky - your perseverance in tackling this onerous job is admirable. Wish I could send you a better computer to render your work but alas all I can do is honor your efforts. Targa will be more awesome through collaboration...while the world around us goes to hell in a hand basket...

svictor, Eric Rowland, pascom and 3 others like this.
  6. philrob

philrob Registered

DJ,
    great and informative post, thank you.
    I am working on the 17.578 mi Nuerburgring, Gesamtstrecke your tools would be very helpful, if you could post or send them i will use them.

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Yes, no worries Phil, I will try get that to you tomorrow.

I've now finished the full AI fast path 100%. I was naughty, for the last 20% of the track I just drove and let it record my driving instead of me editing what was there. I nailed it first time, only had to make a few small edits. Like I said above I should have just done the whole track like that, would have been done quicker.

I said I would do some tests between old and new version to see if there is much or any improvement.

I chose to run one single AI car the Caterham 7 CSR-260 (3rd party mod).

A good test is to count how many times the AI touches a wall or knocks over white posts for the first half the track.

Old version:
    Had to restart the test after only 2 minutes, the AI car lost a wheel in a guard rail. Restarted test with damage set to off.
    I counted 52 contacts, 6 of which would be race ending if damage was turned on.
    Time to get to the half lap point = 19:22 (it lost a lot of time doing 3 points turns after crashes)

New version:
    I counted only 3 contacts :). These were just a few brushes against walls, no big crashes.
    Time to get to the half lap point = 17:50

So good result there. The main problem with the old original is you send 15 AI cars off in a race and only 2 will finish the lap.
    I drove a 1 lap race with 15 AI and only 2 AI did not finish :).
    Negatives were I was faster than them, I could fly passed them in the braking zones. They lift or brake for some corners that I can take flat out. Positives they not bouncing off every 5th guardrail.
    Will get it to svictor after I've tweaked it a bit more.

8. svictor

svictor Registered

That's some great improvement and hard work, looking forward to your progress (no pressure no rush), thanks again for your help.

datasting and Corti like this.
  9. philrob

philrob Registered

Dj,
    Great work on this, hell of ajob just finishing a lap on this track, at least for me haha

svictor, datasting and atomed like this.
  10. atomed

atomed Member

Lol, same here, the huge straight at the end is like a prize for staying alive the whole lap:cool:

svictor likes this.
  11. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

This track is simply in my opinion the track that has the most exciting layout of rF2 (for low and mid end cars).

Thank you all for working on it.

Thank you very much, and a quality AIW is part of what was missing so that's very good.

More “bump” feeling on the track [actually not bad at all] (at least for entry-level steering wheels) would be fantastic, but I suspect it would be a very (too) big job.

The summer layout is almost better, but I wonder if the tall grass wouldn't be a little too yellow/dry ??

Also, I know that my opinion is in the minority, but the long straight line bothers me... 2 or 3 pretty chicanes different from each other would be good.

svictor and atomed like this.
  12. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Here we are again: the new meshes for the road lines and general mappings for the materials are done, still need to do the graffitis and other details. I´m hoping the road and new barriers will be done in about two months.

tmap.PNG

@DJCruicky I´m not 100% sure your new AIW will work flawlessly with these new surfaces but doubt the changes would be so drastic, fingers crossed. Can you send me the file once you´ve finished it? It would help a lot with the realroad mappings.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Reading up the convo, I think everyone appreciates the insane amount of work done on this track by the original creators. I´m also on the "keep as much of the original as possible" camp, but ceirtainly not all the assets are appropiate for rf2.
    Some of the original textures can definately be kept, for others a remake is probably faster but upgrading the existing ones is also an option.
    Unfortunately there are other textures that are simply obsolete - all the tree and vegetation textures for example, these will have to be replaced eventually. There´s just no other option if we want a decent result (and based on the summer skin request, I think you´ll all agree vegetation matters :D).

Another set that could probably use a replacement are the ads. I´d like to request here if anyone can find or make these -in vector format- these don´t show up very often but would still make a great enhancement to the track.
    I´ve found similar versions of these old school logos around but usually not as vectors, or as an image that can be vectorized well.

Below is an atlas of the advertisments were I´ve very carefully crossed out 3 of them that don´t need to be replaced, as these seem to upscale fairly well.

targa_ads3.png

haunetal1990, Bostrom, Emery and 9 others like this.
  13. vava74

vava74 Registered

Fantastic job guys!
    My only remark is for you to try to keep the "irregular" and/or worn out look of the ads (and other textures)... which is something that ISI did really well (old Lime Rock, Toban, etc ...) and is one of the few shortcomings of S397 DLC tracks, in my opinion.

Again on the ads, perhaps you could check if the guys who made a version of Targa for AC would be willing to share some basic assets, such as some of these textures?

Emery likes this.
  14. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Great work Mitch9. Yes, I'll get that to you soon, I'm almost finished it. If it's only mostly elevation changes I think it not a problem. I found when I needed to move my Nords3 track downwards 500 Metres, the AIW editor automatically snapped all the nodes to the new road height by it's self. Never had to do anything apart from re-save the AIW file. If you have walls or guardrails in different places then yes someone would have to drive slow around the track and make small edits to the Corridors or fast path where needed.

vava74, svictor, pascom and 2 others like this.
  15. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.10 update
    - New Ultra-Smooth AI Waypoints fully reworked by @DJCruicky for 72km layouts & all rally stages.
    BIG THANKS to DJCruicky for his great contribution & hard work!

- Adjusted AI drop off location for rally stage 3, stage 4, and drag strip.

- Fixed AI DQ issue with drag strip.

Bostrom, Emery, Art_Pereira and 16 others like this.
  16. datasting

datasting Registered

17. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.11 (2023-2-27) League-friendly 2D collision wall
    - Separated inner mesh face from outer mesh face for all 2D walls, guardrails, fences, gates. Disabled collision for all outer mesh face. Collision is now enabled only on inner mesh face (single-side collision), which eliminated the stuck-in-wall problem.

Note: this does not change the situation where player crashed & landed on 3D wall with 4 wheels suspending desperately in air, or falling off a steep slope which no enough power to get out......

- Simplified collision wall of the two bridges at Caltavuturo, which they used to have complex uneven collision model that had high chance to strand cars.

upload_2023-2-27_19-39-50.png

upload_2023-2-27_19-40-53.png

No more wall stuck problem(single-side collision):
    upload_2023-2-27_19-41-12.png

It's still possible to get stuck.... like this:
    upload_2023-2-27_19-43-1.png

18. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Good job. Ha, I've found myself stuck like that a few times :D.

vava74 and svictor like this.
  19. AKR

AKR Registered

All my cockpits (in VR at least) are shaking on this track. Also on the Isle of Man track btw. Anyone else notice this bug? I have this only on these tracks.

20. svictor

svictor Registered

Hi, the shaking is not a bug. It is discussed in this post as well.

It seems a limitation in the game engine(something might relate to single-precision floating-point as others mentioned). AC also suffered this issue, until CM CSP has introduced double-precision floating-point & graphic offset patch to fix the problem).

pascom and Manfredk2 like this.