Released January RC Update #2 Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 3, 2023.

1. ling

ling Registered

thanks i have tried that but with this new up date it has just completely lost that driving feel it had before were you could play with the throttle out the corner and feel the back start to lose it and know you had to back off
    i have gone back to the last version and its 100 % better shame because i liked the other updates

fenderjaguar likes this.
  2. ling

ling Registered

AMS2 to me drives like PC2 terrible they both feel like you are bouncing across the road were as rfactor 2 felt like you were on the road its just hard to explain but it was the best of the sims driving wise which is what sim racing is all about i think.

3. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Always appreciate an update with all the effort put in. Initial comments:
    - it now handles strange AMS2 like
    - disappointing log files driver tags still broken since the last RC update

fenderjaguar, turtleCZ and svictor like this.
  4. svictor

svictor Registered

Hi, the new forced keyboard or controller filtering function is the worst thing happened to a lot players who using custom controllers or need precision control with a none wheel controller. This kind filtering function simply destroys the ability to control vehicle with precision, and those players are impossible to play any more. (AMS2 and PCARS are one of the sims that forced this kind behavior and shut the door for those players.)

@Paul Jeffrey @Coutie please revert this change back, or add option to turn filter off, thanks!

Edit:
    Found a quick workaround to bypass the forced filtering, which is to set "Force Feedback Type" to "Wheel" type (any other FFB type has forced filtering atm).
    upload_2023-2-4_11-37-26.png

Edit2:
    Like others said, there should be an option to absolutely & completely turn OFF filter. Raw input (without any input lag or artificial interference) must be accessible by any types controller and is the most important thing above anything else in sim.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  5. Camav

Camav Registered

Rfactor 2 is the only current sim that was possible to play with a controller perfectly. Until this new RC

Now it's broken, the new filter doesn't seem to be working the way it should, I've tested it in many ways, I've used x360 and Xone control and the behavior is the same.

When taking the curves, it seems that something is preventing the wheels from turning correctly, and when releasing the steering wheel it returns to the center abruptly. Remove this "smart" filter, and put the previous one, nobody asked for anything like that in RF2.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    fenderjaguar, turtleCZ and Hinyaldee like this.
  6. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Does the Opposite Lock setting have any effect on non-steering wheel controls?

7. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Since the RCs, the Formula E cars don't start immediately out of the garage. Sometimes, no always, it takes a couple of seconds before it responds to the accelerator and lurches forward.

8. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

This is just insanely stupid. Why would they even think about doing something like that in the first place ??? I've never read any complaints from controller users regarding the way the game plays. Why would they change that out of the blue ??

fenderjaguar, ling and turtleCZ like this.
  9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Because they can...

Hopefully this wil be corrected very soon.

10. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

Hopefully yeah... Seriously, rF2 is perfect as is for a gamepad user I feel, the change is not even required. Unless it's to improve the feedback from the car we feel on the gamepad. An example of me driving proving that the gamepad was already precise enough with the correct settings :

fenderjaguar and turtleCZ like this.
  11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

@Studio: Please dont release the next Update with that broken Wheel control

12. ling

ling Registered

exactly even when driving in a straight line and you pull out to over take someone and then center the steering it returns to the center abruptly so you are jumping from side to side its unplayable for me hope they unfix this.

fenderjaguar likes this.
  13. ling

ling Registered

only thing wrong with controller support before was no controller vibration which was not a big deal but this fix makes the game unplayable with controller.

fenderjaguar likes this.
  14. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I like the new photo mode, though it could be cool to have +/- brackets on tilt etc. since I'm running out of keys to assign to camera control.

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am at a point now, where I have a dedicated controller profile for the photomode and with the tons of new functions I will propably need alot more controller profiles for different types of cars going forward. Another nice trick is to use the F1-F11 keys if you aren't using assists anyway.

16. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I already have a 28 button buttonbox for "driving" related stuff. And some of my wheels have up to 12 buttons too. But some of these use keyboard button emulation. But my point is just that some of the photomode buttons, could easily be on-screen buttons. But no need to remove ability to assign keys for those who want that. It is also great that it shows which buttons that are assigned.

17. atomed

atomed Member

Copying an old controller file doesn't fix the issue, right?

18. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

ctd on every start after updating Workshop items, while showing the start video. Ends without any notice
    ...hmm strange
    change to previous release did help :)

Log file:
    2023/02/04-14:14:21.792 5288 Reusing MANIFEST C:\steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\\LocalStorage/MANIFEST-000001
    2023/02/04-14:14:21.792 5288 Recovering log #3
    2023/02/04-14:14:21.792 5288 Reusing old log C:\steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\\LocalStorage/000003.log

upload_2023-2-4_14-13-9.png

19. NIsmo97_

NIsmo97_ Registered

I like this new steering assist, but it needs more settings.

What I like about it is:
    • Faster steering rate;
    • Recentering and counter-steering forces are applied to the steering;
    • Steering aggression is a good setting to adjust how much "hand holding" you want through a turn.
    What I don't like about it is:
    • No way to adjust steering rate (can't make the steering faster or slower);
    • No way to adjust how aggressive the recentering and counter-steering is, as some people mentioned it yanks your car back into a straight line too hard;
    • There should be a way to adjust recentering and counter-steering separately;
    • Steering aggression at 100% should be even more aggressive, letting you rip the front tyres if you want;
    • No way to adjust settings per car.
    I've been playing with a controller for a while without any filtering, just raw input. I honestly don't like the stable release's steering assist, it's too slow and doesn't have recentering and counter-steering forces. Unless there are some hidden settings that need to be changed in the game files, the new assist already has way more potential than the current one.

On another note, regarding another change, where is the new physics plugin API documentation? I really want to see torque values to finally have a clear notion of power bands and when to shift.
    So far, the only way I've had to map any sort of acceleration curve is to flip the car upside down and log wheel speed and calculate the acceleration. Not very sophisticated...

20. ´goggo1peter

´goggo1peter Registered

Similar problem too . CTD after "Klick for Start "image

Attached Files: