SOLVED Graphicscard advise

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by ThomasJohansen, Dec 23, 2022.

1. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

turning the boat upside down...

what about a 6800 XT with 16gb vram?
    The looks of it, it's about as fast as a 3070-TI but with alot more vram.

2. ThomasJohansen

Just want to update with my final solution.

Given my budget (willing to pay) I had a choice between 3070 Ti or 6800 XT.
    The Radeon won duo to much more VRAM.

Bought a Powercolor Red devil RX 6800 TX 16GB to about 700 euro.
    Just tested it tonight with almost everything on full/ultra on my 29" 2560x1080.
    Stays around 60-70 fps sometimes dives to 45 fps. Strange thing is though, rF2 shows lower frame rates than Radeon software overlay when crossing 60 fps. I have limited fps in player.json to 77.

About VRAM, with the settings below, it easily uses 8 gb of VRAM. Le mans used about 11 gb with 40 cars.

These are my settings so far. Properly something that can be lowered without noticing it in game..

20221228201643_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    DJCruicky and Emery like this.
  3. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

I am on the mind updating too but in the last few weeks I am leaning to stay off that idea.
    Even in the vr threads people with 4090 struggle to keep 90fps with maxed out settings.
    I followed the advice from some yt videos and turned off completly shadows and other effects in game. Turning rain and reflections off will give 20% more fps even on sunny conditions. So first four settings to full, all other to off, 8 MSAA. I can drive against 35 ai all visible in any track and keep 60+ fps if grid is too big but with grids around 15-25 cars I have 75+ fps in all conditions. Only issue is Monza's first turn but that for a sec or two, after that fps are high.
    So why upgrading if you mostly play rF2 or Raceroom? Acc is very demanding and needs high end rig for maxing out. If you play other games or work then it's ok.
    My pc is i5 9600k, 1660 ti and 16gb ram.
    Don't get me wrong enjoy the new pc

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Turn post effects to medium, leave the settings as you have. Post Effects on "Ultra" is only "advisable" to use for screenshots. You'll have a boost on frame rate and won't lose image quality ;)

You can turn FXAA to off too...

Also... 60Hz monitor? Which monitor you have?

5. ThomasJohansen

Thx I'll try these later tonight.
    My monitor is a LG 29" ultrawide IPS. from spec it has refresh from 56-75hz, thought it was 60 hz.
    So no point in lowering fps to 77 in player.json.
    Edit. I think it only has a refresh rate at 60 hz. So no point at going far beyond 60-70 fps i guess.

@darkojovanoski1986 Cant think of driving without shadows....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  6. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

Yeah I thought that at first and I was a little bit sceptical. Belive me shadows only add more problems to graphics and image quality. For example I was annoyed by shadows following me while driving at the side of the road. This way all looks much better and cleaner, not to mention day/night transitions look natural too. Have in mind that shadows are not off completly, you will see little shadow below the car so it doesn't look like cars are flying, also there are shadows on the track but they were not leaves from the trees, only the whole area is in shadow. Belive me that trade is affordable for perfomance boost you get and have clearer graphics ;) if you want search for Michi Hoyer channel on youtube and see him driving, you will be surprised how good it looks :)

7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Better start thinking about a new monitor with higher refresh rate, you'll notice the difference, simracing is all about fluidity ;)