Q1 2023 Update - New Release Date

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

i doubt that having to download all dlc cars will consume much tbh. iirc DLC cars files are like 500 MB at max, thats nothing even if we add up all DLC cars.

2. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

Actually this would make sense for the tracks in a series / mod package, if you only want to race in some of them.
    Currently, as a workaround, LFM is using a separate package for each week of the season, so you can partecipate only in the weeks/track you own of a series.

3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It works well in other sims. The fault finding with it doesn't make much sense.

Also, it's not about space, but rather money. You can see with the amount of oeople who race right now, who currently have all DLCs, that space is not an issue, otherwise it would've been an issue before.

And good for you guys with money, but for many of us it's sometimes difficult spending money on 5 cars in a pack, knowing we'll never drive at least 3 of those.

If this doesn't make sense to you, this change is not meant for you.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Whilst it's a very welcomed update regarding the usage of the cars online Vs the ones you own/don't own, I concur with others that it simply must apply to offline users as well. Fingers crossed this will also be the case.

Emery likes this.
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

We should be allowed to run cars we don't own in single player? You are not serious right?!

The point of this is to reduce the "barrier to entry" for online play. The whole point of DLC is to buy it if you want to use it. Offline users race what they own, otherwise where does it stop? Should every user than owns the game be able to run every single bit of DLC, just because they don't drive it?

6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The mental gymnastics required to find something bad about this update is genuinely impressive.

I think these are the people who open snacks at the supermarket and just pay for the wrapper at the end.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Run "against" them yes, if I don't own them it would be nice to see the AI use them as opponents, I can't see what's wrong with that but go ahead and enlighten me. RaceRoom does it just fine for example (from memory not raced that for years now!).

8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

As I understand it, iRacing works the same way (Race against AI) so long as you own at least one car of that class.

MarcG likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't get this. What do you mean?

Ho3n3r likes this.
  10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing changed between what you own/don't own. You just can't drive it.

elgagon, pkelly, Emery and 1 other person like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

and night driving and...and... ;)

elgagon likes this.
  12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

there’s been many things that people have struggled to figure out but then cracked.

It took a very long time to create the blue LED. Because of it the world changed.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I was just theorising how the content people didn't own would be shared. Everything would need to be copied to a players machine, apart from the physics.... because multiplayer wouldn't need that. So the difference in file size would have been minimal was what I was thinking.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

But what you are basically saying is... every single user of rF2 would be able to use every single bit of DLC to race against, without paying a dime for the content. In SINGLE PLAYER.... OFFLINE....what?

15. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Maybe what he's saying isn't so crazy.

Foxtrot and doddynco like this.
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ahh, I see. That's the opposite of where I was starting, because the physics is used to help predict remote car movement.

Anyway, the hints since suggest basically everything will be used, and probably offline too. So now the scope and delivery is the interesting bit...

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No not "use" just race "against", you seem to be incapable of understanding something that already exists in other Sims;

Can you race against cars you don't own (controlled by the AI) in iRacing = Yes
    Can you race against cars you don't own (controlled by the AI) in RaceRoom = Yes
    Can you race against cars you don't own (controlled by the AI) in RFactor2 = ???

That is the query I and others have raised here and elsewhere, it's a perfectly reasonable request.

18. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

You all could just wait for the full announcement of the feature and how it'll work. But where would the fun in that be I guess :)

ebeninca, trichens, pkelly and 8 others like this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You could just tell us now :p

pilAUTO, Ho3n3r and MarcG like this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Indeed, no harm in asking reasonable questions in advance though :)