Q1 2023 Update - New Release Date

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hello sim racers!

With the upcoming Q1 2023 update and content release for rFactor 2, we’ve got quite a few goodies up our sleeves, some of which will be news to you all… but on to that one in a minute.

Quite frankly, because of the sheer volume of things we are set to bring into this new build, we could do with a little more time to add the finer polish we need before we feel confident pushing out the update into the public domain – as such, we’ve taken the decision to delay our new release until Tuesday 21st February.
    That said, remain on schedule to deploy the GT3 update and BOP on Tuesday, February 7th, with a further refinement coming on the 21st based on community feedback.

So, let’s tell you one of the big reasons why we want to delay… this Friday, we will update our Release Candidate with a new feature… the ability to race online against content you don’t own! Exciting as this is, we just need more time to polish it all up, and a few other bits, so we hope you don’t mind a little delay – I’m sure you will think it was worth the wait!

20230130110820_1.jpg

2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

This is a big deal and should make a lot of people happy.

3. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

Wow, this is a big one, one of the biggest complaints I've seen levelled at the sim, soon to be gone. Great work guys!

4. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Congrats Paul and all s397 guys, you're showing respect for the customers, great addition.

trichens and jonathon.bisset like this.
  5. Alessio Feletto

Alessio Feletto Registered

from now on every dlc will cost 5X times!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Camav likes this.
  6. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Great move guys, that will open the door to new users, work on the marketing side ;)

7. McFlex

McFlex Registered

That's exacly what i thought at first :D

Wonder when the first complains about increased prices will come up :D:p

Alessio Feletto likes this.
  8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Even if it costs 5X times more, it will be cheaper than iRenting... :D

Now serious... probably it will cost less if you buy all the pack, than buying one single car...

Which honestly makes sense...

9. Alessio Feletto

Alessio Feletto Registered

mate don't get me wrong, i'm happy the Studio is "doing progress" and aside Formula E i own every DLC/content, but, i prefer to be able to drive all the cars instead of choosing one... at the end of the day you' ll pay more or less the same, if it's not the case then i retire my words and apologize.

10. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Well they can just eliminate discounts on car packs or reduce them and people can focus on buying more tracks and get the cars they want.
    And I think people will still buy multiple cars in the same class so they can try out other cars. They just won't have to or can spread out the purchase.

I personally don't think it's going to reduce revenue to S397 and will likely increase it without having to raise prices because more people will be buying content to race or try.

Rui Santos and Alessio Feletto like this.
  11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Massive news and credit to all involved! I will now be far more likely to buy content when it is released rather that waiting for the completed pack. I think this will be the most impactful update for online racing and growing the player base in general.

12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Wow, this is big, those angry people will have to find new ways to let their anger out!

Will this include the tracks?

13. FlatOut389

FlatOut389 Registered

That would be a little bit too much xD you should at least own the track where you race ;D and, of course, one car.

Rui Santos, Emery, Ho3n3r and 3 others like this.
  14. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Well, color me still a bit suspicious on this announcement. The actual phrase is "ability to race ONLINE against content you don't own". If that is accurate, it still means you won't be able to practice/race offline against it, which is a significant limitation.

Let's be clear: this is likely to cause a significant hit to revenue. On iRacing, when GT3 arrived I bought each successive car as they were introduced and I had the budget to do so. But more recently, I've bought the first car in a series (GT4, TCR etc.) and then not bought any of the others in that series, but I've still been able to practice/race AI and online against all of them. I've even taken it to the level of not buying the first one if I'm pretty sure more will arrive (the BMW LMDh), I'll wait to see what the additional ones they've stated will be built to get the 'brand' or style I prefer. For rF2, I bought the initial 2 car BTCC pack (Infiniti/Toyota) and I've been waiting until they complete the carset to buy that, in the belief that with a discount I effectively won't buy those first 2 cars twice. I may, or may not, have to do that now. What this may do is release budget to spend on tracks rather than cars, which in my experience you always tend to get more use out of. In the current situation, I'd bought all the rF2 GT3s except the latest BMW, which meant I was locked out of CS for GT3s until I bought it.

What this will do is significantly help online competitions. Will be interesting to see if this extends to leagues and non-S397 CS hosted servers, or whether its unique to them.

MarcG and Reiche like this.
  15. Bernat

Bernat Registered

There it goes the next wave of complaints! xD

r00b Driver and Alessio Feletto like this.
  16. instinkt

instinkt Registered

can't wait for bunch of new unknown errors o_O

McFlex, DanRZ and memoNo1 like this.
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

It’s a limitation but significant? You always have the option of buying the other content if it really bothers you.

18. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

You have already topped last year!
    Madness your performance!

19. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Not important... Not important at all. My lettuce is too green.

Seven Smiles and memoNo1 like this.
  20. Sanio Alfa

Sanio Alfa Registered

wasn't it said that it is deep in the rf2 code and that it cannot be changed, if you buy only one car and drive with others on the same server?
    how come that is suddenly possible now?

I mean, congratulations on this, finally! but it should have been here many years ago.

MarcG likes this.