F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Im rather too busy for that at the current moment unfortunately. It would easily be 1-2 month job to finish it up with new stuff.

pascom likes this.
  2. vava74

vava74 Registered

I was thinking that Trollray has now a bit more free time on his hands and might be willing to give a hand there if you did not mind...
    Caeser's Palace ditto.

3. herve

herve Registered

Hello
    Stunning ! It's a sport to drive but what a pleasure! Very nice work but just a small remark in relation to the noise of the brakes, it sounds like we are sharpening a knife...:)

doddynco likes this.
  4. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, some lillte tweaks on 1988 cars released.
    Garage spots are corrected, ai performances tweaks, car damage more sensitive to shocks.
    Now hitting a wall will destroy your car. Hey, these are f1 ;)
    Cheers

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

New version uploaded!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2295224315&searchtext=

- Added new car: McLaren MP4/2C v1.15 with full physics and sound

- Benetton B186 updated to v1.15

- Brabham BT55 updated to v1.15

- Added new shift protection via upgrades. Cars now require clutch to shift when using h-pattern option. Added mis-shift sound for H-Pattern mode

- Various sound fixes and improvements

- Recalculated inertia boxes

- Tweaked default setups

- Removed viscous coupling from differentials

- Reduced tyre blanket effectiveness

- Reduced tyre ground conductivity

- Added rear brake duct settings

Mclaren.png

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    atomed, vava74, svictor and 15 others like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ooooooh la la!!

pascom and doddynco like this.
  7. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Today is a great day. Thanks for your hard work.

8. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Amazing - awesome can’t wait to try.

9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Me and Trollray have considered uploading each car separately to the workshop. There's a couple of reasons;

- Some will only want a few cars.

- It is the standard way to to do it following s397's example. And I think it is better presented this way.

- It's good for promoting the mod..When we add a new car to this pack in yhe form of an update, it doesn't get nearly the same viewings as a brand new mod being uploaded to the workshop. And having multiple steam pages has a compounding effect for promoting the whole pack.

File size is an issue and is preventing this at the moment - there are some low hanging fruit to help with that.

Anyway there's an idea for the future of the mod.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    svictor, Lars, pascom and 4 others like this.
  10. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

I know this was a small complaint when we used the trackpack for some events in the RD Club. "Why do we have to download such a huge pack to use one track". I just said that we will be using more than one track, once, better to get it all right away.
    But it's likely a good idea to get eyes on the new releases indeed! :)

11. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

HI! The mclaren is very nice, but the porsche tag engine sound is not very realistic. Thanks for this great mod, and keep up the good work

doddynco likes this.
  12. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank you for the feedback Rob. I was hoping no one would notice but the Mclaren sound is actually the sound that will be used for the Lotus, or very close to it. I had alresdy made a good start on the physics of the McLaren and it made sense to get that car out next. It makes a good pace setting car and will help me balance out the rest of field. I've yet to sample any Tag engine sounds but have a few great sources and I fully intend on making that for the Mclaren, perhaps when the Lotus is released. I did already have a v6 engine soundset that I deemed 'close enough', and so that's what we've got for now. I hope that's something like good news.

Lars, Hazi, pkelly and 1 other person like this.
  13. AKR

AKR Registered

Awesome! Mclaren easiest to drive of all three (Benneton, BMW), but so good, especially in VR with noise cancelling headphones (shifting sound) and vibration. If only the mirrors could be adjusted separately it would be near perfect. I think I need a proper shifter (only paddle shifters on my wheel right now) to make the experience even more immersive...

Lars, pkelly and doddynco like this.
  14. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Small question, could you change the onboard cam? The current one is rather useless.
    Suggestion: Something like the Formula Renault3.5 would be much better.
    If it is possible!

https://ibb.co/tD1kGVQ
    https://ibb.co/qYxzxDN

doddynco likes this.
  15. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I'll add these to the to do list. I'm not completely sure if the mirrors can be split at this stage but I'll try my best.

pascom, trollray and Lars like this.
  16. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

@doddynco

Mirrors can be splitted quite easily without remapping them by renaming the object like this.

So instead of the Mirrors being a single same object 011_MIRROR.gmt I splitted the object to 2 and called them 011_lmirror_in.gmt for left mirror and 011_rmirror_in.gmt for the right mirror. the material mapped is still called MIRROR. so as long as you call the objectname with Lmirror and Rmirror it should automatically work. i dont remember is the _in a mandatory thing but its how the skipbarber is setup.

At minimum you can just have the MIRROR surface itself be seperate object for each side and name it like that if you want to keep the cockpit otherwise unified. That should be fairly easy thing to do and should not take longer than 1-2 hours to do at max i think.

Btw nice work with the Mclaren car :)

Lars, David Short and doddynco like this.
  17. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Registered

`The McLaren is a great addition to the mod.

- Added new shift protection via upgrades. Cars now require clutch to shift when using h-pattern option. Added mis-shift sound for H-Pattern mode
    There's an issue with the H pattern shifting though. You can't jump gears on the downshift: 6-4-2 etc. The H pattern is acting like a sequential shift, you need to go through every gear -up and down. Might not be a big deal to some but is a an issue nonetheless.

Lars and ApexModding like this.
  18. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank you :)
    Not sure I can fix this. It's a limitation with the new shift protection feature. I sort of expect this to be fixed at some point though as people have made the same comment about the new Caterham.

Actually I'm hoping that they expand the shift protection feature so that you can't get out of gear, but can still go into a gear above a certain engine torque threshold - this is what we need to simulate a Hewland style box properly. It would also be great of they can provide a telemetry output for this 'block', as this would make it possible for shifter hardware developers to create a realistic dog box. Might sound like a minor thing until you realise that most(?) racing cars between 1960 and 2000 used this system.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    Lars and trollray like this.
  19. trollray

trollray Registered

This is why i like to work with @doddynco.
    So much passion and knowledge put together in a sense of detail. ;)
    Fantastic work on this new beast !!
    CHeers

davehenrie, doddynco and atomed like this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Both should be labeled WRONG Cam! :)

doddynco likes this.