Released January 2023 Release Candidate

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

2. Sanio Alfa

Sanio Alfa Registered

I thank you for this effort.
    although these are more cosmetic visual less significant elements.
    but when will there be work on tire physics. I mean, ambient and brake temperatures affect on tire temperatures?
    when do you plan to upgrade gt3 package with new tires, as well as the Porsche cup 991?

Rui Santos, Ho3n3r, ebeninca and 3 others like this.
  3. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

It looks like Broadcast is worked on with those new cameras. Nice ...

4. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

GT3 update is planned for Q1 update time :)

Lenniepen, MikeV710, JoeP1 and 20 others like this.
  5. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Still no fix for the (wrong) track thumbnail alignment ? :(

Apart from that nice addons!

6. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I do wish that rather than concentrating on graphical effects on replays and broadcast screens, some actual work would be done on the replay system to eliminate the absolutely horrendous, large scale bugs that exist.

I'm not sure that these are caused by cameras switchign positions, or are just much bigger issues with the entire process of "playing back" a replay. Take for example, any replay that looks at Eau Rouge/Radillion complex. These have huge stutters right in the middle of the curve, often as the camera view changes. But at least 30% of the time, you also get terrible warping on showing a new camera view anyway. This manifests itself as the car driving 50 yds off the track in a straight line, or falling 5 ft into the track for about 50-100 yds, before finally resetting to the correct car location.

Given these macro problems, working on motion blur seems to be polishing the head on a bent pin.

I believe the replay system mode is also what is being used for broadcasts. When viewing a replay, AI cars that go over kerbs often launch a foot a more into the air, and in other cases look very twitchy or digital in movement. This breaks immersion when watching a replay, and is noticeably much poorer than say how iRacing looks in replays and broadcasts. I say the replay mode is in use for broadcasts, because for example in the LM Virtual 24, I still see the cars exhibit these same behaviors. But when in live driving mode, the AI or opponent cars don't do this, or at least, not as badly. And don't even get me started with the glitches and stutters when cars enter/exit pit lane, and come to a stop in their pit and warp into the garage...

Ho3n3r, ebeninca and PirroC like this.
  7. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

thank you, I'm very hyped about the new content, it's my favorite time when we can dream and make speculation and bet.
    I guess this year s397 will announce Indycar and Nascar DLCs in rFactor2.

8. instinkt

instinkt Registered

package management changes hmm...
    are we closer to the content requirement changes? :confused:

I really like the change that allows to unistall dlc content in "normal way"
    I'm not using cars from the Reiza pack at all for eg so I deleted the files but atm if something goes wrong and I need to verify files it takes long time to do that since game redownload and reinstall all deleted content

btw any news about GTE sound fixes?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Paul Jeffrey can someone, at some point, give a clear and 'final' statement on the whole "owning all content" thing? The constant comments are tiresome...

davehenrie and r00b Driver like this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Could just be me, and wouldn't rule out being an RC thing only (didn't test previous ones), but with the RC activated loading and then exiting the game isn't taking ~2 mins to properly shut down. (exiting immediately does sometimes cause a 5-10 sec pause as the UI works itself out with a blank grey/black screen, but then the game quits and is no longer running)

Previous to this the quickest way for me to close the game was to start a single player session, then quit.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is this a recent thing? And just to ask a potentially silly question, when you're seeing this stuff on replays, is that replays of an offline race you did? Or online? If online, are you looking at the server replay?

Some 'glitching', momentary poor prediction, I've certainly seen happen, especially in regards to car orientation (cars tilting when running over kerbs, that sort of thing), and maybe could be toned down a bit to help stabilise distant remote cars. Even close ones, though I don't think I've seen much evidence of that being an issue in a close fight, some years ago. Cars running on completely wrong lines for a second or more I'd put down more to lag, and should only happen with distant cars from the car recording the replay (which the server doesn't send as much info for), unless there's some serious connection issues happening.

I guess there's a tradeoff with any online play between trying to react to every single update received and extrapolating to predicat what might be about to happen, vs assuming the cars will follow the standard lines and having to adjust later (potentially a cause for iRacing's reported phantom collisions? I don't know). The car orientation does seem a bit too dynamic at times in rF2 broadcasts.

12. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Try removing your ui cache and see if it's better?

13. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

What setting do you have replay fidelity on? try increasing it.

14. Hoshi

Hoshi Registered

Maybe it's just me being blind but where can I find the option to turn on/off motion blur?

15. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

Can't install local content in the packages folder anymore.
    When I select item and click on 'install item', nothing happens.

davehenrie and Schumi like this.
  16. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

same here... (release candidate)
    reverted to "none"

Schumi and Marc Brink like this.
  17. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

That worked. Thanks.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  18. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

It's on Full.

19. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

It's been like it for at least 2 years. I sent Paul Jeffrey lots of samples of what was happening when S397 said they were going to start attacking bugs, and heard nothing back.
    This is within a racing/driving session, offline. It's when looking at either my own car, or AI cars. These are usually practice sessions, since I don't race against the AI. It happens on just about every track, whether S397 DLC or not. Mainly I only use the S397 DLC such as Spa, Monza etc. It happens with S397 DLC for cars. This includes the LMP2s, IR18, GTE, GT3 and BTCC cars, and I see the same things happen with all of them. Since its local recording of the replay, onto a 6GBs SATA SSD, on Full resolution, these often 1-2 second "lag" events should not in my opinion happen.
    I'll also say this. When I watch back a replay, many times the CPU utilization as viewed in the Game Bar is 5%. GPU is mainly 50% or so, but in some parts, such as viewing the main straight in Donington, it'll spike up to 95% plus. But sometimes that CPU utilization goes up to 65-90% plus, it'll stay there for several laps, then back down to 5% again. Now, that CPU is a 6 core without multithreading. So 60-90% utilization is basically 5 or 6 cores going at the same time. I can use the Game Bar to see there are no other background apps running that cause those spikes. This is without either the bottom replay controls area being displayed, nor the top scrolling ticker. I lose about 20-30% frame rates with the bottom area, and up to 50% of frame rates with the top scrolling area displayed. In my view, there's something terribly wrong going on with replays and handling storage access. In general, I have 32Gb RAM and its about 55% full, and no swapping going on. GPU space is also not maxed out and stays stable. I cannot see any activity across the PCI bus because I don't have software that can look at that, but the fact the GPU space is stable seems to imply it isn't swapping between main RAM and GPU RAM.

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

hope we can disable motion blur