SOLVED One of two dedis no longer accepts connections…

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by MileSeven, Jan 19, 2023.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Not sure what happened - we have two dedi instances running on the same physical server.

All was well until after last nights races at which point I applied the latest Windows 2019 server updates and rebooted the system.

Our ‘main’ dedi server that we running on last night will fire up and can be seen in the matchmaker lists but when people try to connect, it basically times out.

I then tried loading mods we’ve used recently - thinking it might be an issue with the package I created today and tried to load. Nothing worked. I then tried todays package on the other dedi instance - and it works fine and can be raced on.

What could be causing this? If it was something like unintended port changes from the Windows server update, wouldn’t the other dedi instance also be affected and would the ‘main’ server even show up in the matchmaker?

I changed nothing else on the server (dedis or windows) - no json changes or anything….

2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I would suggest to remove the entry in the windows firewall and redo it completely ...

It looks like some weird rules applied.

3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Could be!

The initial Windows server updates did fail and auto rolled-back. 2nd time was a charm but I wonder if something OS level did break….

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Hmm. I had a quick look at our windows firewall entries and realised that we don’t have specific entries for the two separate dedis - so firewall rules shouldn’t let one dedi work and the other fail.

I have tried changing the simulation port of the unhappy one but have yet to try connecting a client to it since the change.

Worth reiterating that the unhappy dedi does show up in matchmaker…

Also (but not a revealing bit of information?) if both dedis try to run the same package and a client tries to connect to the unhappy one, after a short delay the client actually connects and joins to the happy dedi…(!) Just to confirm on that aspect - the multiplayer.json ports for both dedis are (and have always been) different (both ports in each json).

5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Do you use at least two "profiles" like player and player2 in UserData for each server ?

I did that once for sure and launched two servers on same mods without issues.

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Yes. We currently use two player profiles but have used upto four in the past.

I’ve very rarely (if ever) run exactly the same package on more than one at a time - the only issues I can remember in the past were potential contention of the RealRoad and also some timing issues with our LiveRacers account - but whichever dedi profile you tried to connect to would be the one you ended up on.

7. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ve sorted it, I believe, by copying out the multiplayer.ini etc., nuking the profile for that dedi, copying a working one and then replacing the config files.

No idea what was broken.

DanRZ likes this.