RAM Usage Top high

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eagle1982, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Bernat

Bernat Registered

See if it improves but doing all this:

- Free the most RAM you can before starting rF2.
    - Lower circuit and texture detail.
    - Set private session.

Recently updated system recommendations attached.

Attached Files:

2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

yes 8gb aren´t enough for such high loads. I had massive stutters until i reduced the texture level

3. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Woow, yes it needs 32gb.
    When I have said this rF2 3D engine is old and is showing it's limit, the GPU power is wasted and the RAM too.
    MSFS 2020 and Cyberpunk77 are far more 3D advanced and ask only 16gb...
    Omg.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

The difference is that in games like Cyberpunk if you have 40 50 fps you can call it a day, and push the GFX accordingly... on a single 60 Hz monitor.
    In RF2 people pretend to max the GFX AND keep >90 fps STABLE in any track condition. maybe even on triple screen with monstruous resolutions. Apples and oranges.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  5. Eagle1982

Eagle1982 Registered

I think 16 GB RAM are not enough for Tracks like Nürburgring Endurance or Le Mans. On tracks like Kyalami f.ex. I have no FPS Drops and everything is fine…

mixer61 likes this.
  6. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

no I guess the rF2 3d engine is too much old and waste the power of hardware...

7. Andregee

Andregee Registered

16GB Ram is enough, Windows uses
    Have a look at the task manager. Rfactor2 hardly uses more than 10gb Ram in peak. Other background processes are written to the swap file if things get tight. It is the graphics memory that you are running out of.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Can you please stop bombing every thread?

Flaux and Deleted member 58016 like this.
  9. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

I read the specs updated in Steam page and I think the game needs heavy optimisation or truth spoken, can't be optimised anymore using this engine. 32 gb of ram??? That's insane for today's standards, much better looking games require lower specs but again engine of rf2 is the issue here. For example Reiza decided gamble a little and jumped on Madness engine knowing it's issues with physics, but the gambling showed them right and they've gone long way to make AMS2 what it is today.
    Imagine rFactor 3 with brand new engine, what specs will require then if it's not optimised?
    Bottom line I have i5 9600k, 1660 ti and 16 gb of ram. I can run against 30 ai with constant 70+ fps on any track and combo but without shadows and all that stuff but keeping the cirquit, player detail, opponents detail, all on full, msaa 8x, af 16x. All other graphic settings to off. To be honest this way the game looks much better than with shadows. Only missing thing is rain on windscreen but even that is not that important becouse the track is wet and you actually see the rain

10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Reducing the specs would be easy. Reduce object count, texture quality, and mesh density. There are Nords mods in the Workshop that don't require so much memory. It's all up to track quality.

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

You need absolute at least 32GB with big tracks like the Nurburgring and Lemans. I have 32GB DDR5 5600mhz and il thinking to upgrade to 64/128gb 6600mhz in the upcoming weeks !

12. McFlex

McFlex Registered

That's complet nonsense. I drive and organize races on the Nordsdchleife and never had or have heard of any issues with 16GB Ram.

13. Kahel

Kahel Registered

It's probably not about the ram amount... it's about the system...
    The irony is, the slower the system (HDD, slow ram)... the bigger the spec it need to compensate it's weakness...

A very fast, well tune system, running game on a fast ssd... will probably never really 'need' 32go... while a weak system that show it's limit would compensate with 32go of ram... but it's not the ideal solution... obviously... your just patching it...

Better get faster well tune ram... running the game on a fast ssd... optimize windows... than upgrading from 16go to 32go...

Here is a vid showing no difference between... even 8go of ram on modern game...
    (I know it's not the same for rf2, but the knowledge still applies... with different limits)
    For most that see a video on youtube... the conclusion is clear... there is a difference between 8go vs 16go... when in fact they are showing the difference between ram... but another limitation... it's always about the system specs... in interacting with one another...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  14. Bernat

Bernat Registered

It's more about free memory than the total amount. Anyway, my experience with the bigger tracks is that 16GB falls a bit short. It's playable with enough free memory and the right settings though. Your game settings and selected cars can increase the memory required.

SSD doesn't help here, everything has to be on RAM. Even accessing the SSD for swapping on the track can cause stuttering.

I don't see the point in comparing totally different kind of games. rFactor 2 is more similar to flight simulators than action shooters, and still they're very different.