Le Mans Virtual 24 hours 2023, Verstappen rages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexHeuskat, Jan 15, 2023.

1. GregW5

GregW5 Registered

At this point, it doesn't really matter how what occurred happened. It was a bad look.

What matters is how MSG :rolleyes: reacts, if at all. Using DDOS attacks as an excuse is just that - an excuse. They certainly should have anticipated something like that happening, and there are things that can be done to mitigate DDOS attacks. iRacing posted twice last month that they were suffering from DDOS attacks. Guess what? It was transparent to most users - they didn't know it was happening until iRacing mentioned it.

Studio 397 needs to FIX the game. MSG needs to give them the money to do so. Stop adding content and go on a bug killing spree and for God's sake - UPDATE the manual or at least add a quick start guide so people don't have to search on how to adjust mirrors, seats, etc. Basic stuff so people can download it and play right away.

2. Roninho

Roninho Registered

Fully agree @GregW5 , especially this part: Stop adding content and go on a bug killing spree

3. Comante

Comante Registered

If motosport is dangerous, E-motorsport is disconnectous :p

pkelly likes this.
  4. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This isn't about bugs. They could fix all bugs and there still would be DoS attacks. Dealing with DoS attacks in this kind of server is difficult. iRacing must have had DoS attacks maybe in their website and you didn't notice if a web page loaded in 5s instead of 1s. There are many kinds of DoS attacks. Be assured that if someone with enough knowlegdge wanted to take down iRacing they would.

There's much at stake here. This isn't just another game or another competition. There's licenses at play that move millions of dollars. And you make it sound like it's just bugs.

Art_Pereira likes this.
  6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

There was a thread talking about adding random failures. This is it. Reality has mechanical failures and blown tires. Sim racing has disconnections and poor latencies. There your have it, your random failures. Bad luck Max.

7. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Can't actually remember that we had much issues in RDLMS either - that's years ago now, but supposedly rF2 were more unstable back then.
    We've not had 24hr events since, but there has been some long ones with big grids. And weird ones with weird custom settings and json-changes.
    The only server issues we've had the last 2.5 years is the ones I have created :oops:

iRacing has been brought down at least once, but I think more than once due to DDOS attacks, so they've had to change their security.
    That's the way it usually goes. You have a layer of security, which works, until it suddenly stops working. Then you need to up it.

pkelly, Bernat and TJones like this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

9. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Something that mystifies me and I hope one of the simracing experts will answer: if a player disconnects why can't the AI take over and keep the car running until the player is able to reconnect? Obviously not a perfect answer but a lot better than "giving back" the 4 laps or whatever when the player reconnects.

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Despite it's not a bad idea it has some questions...

- At what pace the car will be kept in the track?

- For how long in the race?

- Will teams play with that "flaw" to have advantage? Like a "disconnect" near the end not to ruin the final laps?

...and there are more ;)

Seven Smiles likes this.
  11. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Shouldn't the server provider be the one responsable for security hacks?

Last Summer, ArmA Reforger was released as EA, of which I bought. The game was MP only when It was release aside from some tutos and some user (mod) content side missions. It was a total shit show from the start, about 80% of those who bought the game could not connect to the servers, and when they did, they would easily drop from the server, or at max (pun Intended) lasted online for 20min. This whole Issue (drama Included), lasted for three months. Considering the game Is focused on online MP, and the fact that It cost 30€ on release (hype abuse), that made a lot of fans quite pissed off at there beloved hardcore milsim FPS franchise, Including myself. Some blamed the netcode, some blamed the new game engine, and some blamed the server provider. It was a tough blow on Bohemian Interactive (BI) and really made the sales drop badly. Although I hear It´s been fixed know, I hardly go online with AR and really lost Interest In the game since then.

The ArmA franchise Is very well known In the gaming community, and BI are, or should be well Informed of as to how MP works and and the expectation they would have with ArmA Reforger´s release, since a lot of there fans were eager for a new ArmA title since ArmA III came out In 2013. BI Is well aware that most of there users play ArmA III online, so one could say BI knows how all this works after so many years doing the same.

What I am saying Is that on one hand, It´s hard to believe things like this could happen and more so from heavy weights like BI, or In the case of WEC with rF2, and on the other hand we have that even with heavy weights that know what there doing things can happen, which It did. But for me what really light the match was Max and his attitude which made the whole Issue go viral! That´s what really hurt, and the same way most of us here, wether veteran or newbie know about rF2´s mishaps, I am sure Max and Redline new about them too.

Not saying MSG and S397 should not look Into all this, after all there the ones who are going to suffer the most (sales), but as they say, things happen In the best of families no matter what, specially when so many external factors are Involved. This last year things seemed to Improve for rF2, at least from what I know, and It´s sad to see all that go down the drain due to some comments from someone famous.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Gasper Zupan and Rui Santos like this.
  12. pkelly

pkelly Registered

davehenrie likes this.
  13. GregW5

GregW5 Registered

The attack on the server was not due to a bug, and I didn’t, or at least didn’t mean to imply that it was, but there are still bugs they need to fix.
    The last half of my post was meant to be things they need to work on for new users. I probably should have clarified that.
    Look at comments about RF2 in different forums, reddit, etc. New players say the same thing over and over about RF2; doesn’t recognize my wheel, too hard to set up, menu commands not clear as to what they do, etc, etc, etc.

14. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

This is true.
    When we have new-to-rF2 people joining our races at RaceDepartment we always mention that they cannot judge their experience on that first race. rF2 needs a couple of races to start to know the rF2-isms of it.

Art_Pereira likes this.
  15. Uff

Uff Registered

This has been around forever and just shows very little knowledge of the simracing world, imho: adding content does not take time away from the rest of the sim (unless you have to develop a new functionality specific for a DLC content). 3D artists don't do programming and DLC bring the additional income to let the developer (ANY developer, not just MSG/Studio 397) bring the development on. I really think it's time to keep the "more DLC = less development" in the past and move on with a more realistic view of how the sim development works.

16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

The realistic view is that they could employ more programmers while leaving the 3D artists / physics gurus to get on with making saleable DLCs.

mister dog likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And! Since apparently lots of people aren't happy that they couldn't take part in the LMV festivities, raise the price of the DLC to help fund more servers, plus the staff needed to try and guarantee no issues.

Oh, but also change the system so you don't need all content on the server to race. So then raise DLC prices again to compensate.

Ho3n3r and FERNANDO CABRERA like this.
  18. Comante

Comante Registered

Are you crazy? Everytime a new car is out there is plenty of people disappointed from the tiniest detail just like the most evident bugs.

19. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

I did some scrolling trough youtube during lunch looking at comments, many if not all the people (streamers) that criticizes the event have in their videos history a clear lean over other simulators/games.
    The handling of Nanscar, Indy and WEC licences has generated a lot of resentment towards RF2 and they will steam off at simulator at the smallest of issues; and those licences has nothing to do with RF2.
    In my league some people complain about the DLC scheme in RF2, till they understands the chosen monetization model used by RF2 in contrast to IRacing.
    People wants the simulator to simulate everything, every series, every car, every weather, every track... but also wants a click n' race experience...
    People complains because cars in RF2 are harder to drive than in AC...
    Complains because mods are hard to install...
    complains that they disconnects when they're streaming using the same internet connection...

there should be a Black With An Orange Circle flag in RF2, when someone with a latency higher than the threshold defined by the server receive the flag; if they dont fix the issue after a number of laps/time, black flag and race over; that may give drivers feedback that teir connection has issues and is their responsibility to fix it or face a Disqualification.

Art_Pereira likes this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As an ArmA fan myself I think it's important to note that AR was allways some kind of prototype to test the new engine, nothing more nothing less and the frustration that you experienced is what happens with software in EA most of the time. Today testing is outsourced to the public who are happy to pay for it while developers had dedicated people to test their products that they actually had to pay in the past.

Anyway, the issue currently isn't so much about the product rF2 itself but simply the bad press that is generated by MSG obtaining exclusive licences. The reviews on Steam have dropped like a bomb the last couple of weeks simply due to iRacing writing a statement on their website. If you take a close look, very few people who actually reviewed rF2 recently talked about the sim itself and alot of them didn't even play the sim for much more than an hour. Problem is, Steam reviews are pretty important to sell a product. iRacing knows exactly what they are doing and they know that they have the bigger playerbase to bring down a product like rF2 with just a bit over 5000 reviews on Steam. It's simple math and the knowhow how to guide your well paying consumer to do the appropriate thing.

A good start would be people reading and understanding what is actually written. You can find videos of JB running the 24 Hours of Le Mans on iRacing without issues from one year ago. According to some iRacing fans he would/should have been in jail by now. :)