F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I know I can always rely on Datasting to make sure the cars are thoughly 'tested'. :) i'm not sure that's what Gordon Murray meant when he said the BT55 did not rely much on ground effect.

Thank you for the kind feedback guys - great to hear it's working as intended. I am really pleased with the character of the BT55 and how it turned out - it really only took a few days from start to finish. Before building the tool to help with creating 14 sets of aerodynamics, the job of creating 14 sets of completely independent physics seemed like an absolute mountain of a task. But now, with the tool, and the Benetton as a perfect datum car, it is possible to build a fully independent, high quality physics set, minus the engine creation, within a days work. Somthing that for me is very important and a huge relief after sinking such a huge amount of time into the first car.

Also I'd just like to mention that although you have been waiting on me for this 2nd release, trollray had already updated the graphics for all of the '86 cars over a year ago - they're sat here on my system waiting for the physics and sound to be created by myself. That graphical update was a huge amount of work in itself for him, so massive credit for that. I can't understate how much Trollray is an absolute pleasure to work with, and he has really helped me keep on track towards the goal.

I've just ran a little update this morning as I missed putting the updated tgm files into the mas. Nothing major.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Lars, buzz hornet, svictor and 7 others like this.
  2. datasting

datasting Registered

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It's a bit odd that two of the most famous designers/engineers, Gordon Murray & Jim Hall(Can-Am Chaparral) tried low profile aero packages and neither had the success they had been used to.

4. AKR

AKR Registered

Very nice car thanks.

Only issue as I have (but I have this with some other mods as well) is that I can only adjust both outside mirrors at the same time (shift/arrows), not right and left seperately (so cltr/arrows and alt/arrows doesn't do anything, besides shooting outloude "mirrors"). Therefor cannot adjust both mirrors correctly...

pascom and doddynco like this.
  5. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Very nice, you can really notice the difference between the two cars. Physics feel amazing, car (graphically) looks awesome. Top notch.

Lars, vava74 and doddynco like this.
  6. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi all of you !

FIrst, i want to thanks my friend @doddynco for his unbelievable work.
    I'm so proud to make a team with a such passionate and knowledged guy. ;)
    It's a thing to tell it, but, hey, when you are working on your part of the mod and you receive some vids or update from Doddy, sometimes i was happy to be sit. I would fall down of pleasure if not ;)
    Woww ;)

Anyway, after 3 years of work now, i'm so excited to tell you that the collection is growing big this morning.

Now, all 1988 is done now !

That means for majorite of the tracks are in 1988 version too.
    Silverstone and Suzuka are added.
    The other tracks are nearly the same but with some differences.
    I've started with basic stuffs like garage colors and some other details you would appreciate. More to come of course.
    But all of them have new AIW path dedicated to the 1988 cars.

BUT, why talking about tracks here man? (Could you say)
    First, because this is my thread and i do what i whant lollll ;)))
    ( Oh man, i need to stop coffe or at least, sleep now )

Nah, the 1988 complete cars rework from carrera4 is done now and you can find it here :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2909721948

Of course, the sounds are from the original version and i really hope one day Doddy will be so kind to touch it. ;)
    But he has alot to do already with the 1986 cars and i don't want to give him any pressure.

That said, the 1988 cars are in a v 1.0 and would of course progress.
    Feel free to send feedback and bugs.

I know some of them already but i thought it was a good idea to release it now because you are so exctatic with the 1986 cars and that will give you something to eat in the wait ;)

Last but not least, the physics of the 1988 cars are reworked in some places ( not deeply rework as Doddy) but i'm pretty happy that some of the behaviors like the spin effect on braking is very reduced.
    The balance of the cars is far better and all of them are of course different. (As it was already in the base mod but, needed some work )
    Pay attention that you still have to be using Heel and toe technique to control the torque on braking, but in a far more realistical way now.

I would like to thanks all of the people that helped me and all of you for your patience and support.
    Your nice pictures and vids are awesome and a pleasure to look at.

Special thanks to @svictor for his knowledge and @Paul Jeffrey for his kind words.
    Other names will be credited both in this forum and in steam, but i have to check forum history for this and as you could imagine, my night was short... lol I'll do it soon.

Cheers and happy driving 2023 !!

7. svictor

svictor Registered

just had a few laps and all those graphic details are amazingly well made, and car drives great, can't imagine the amount time and how many sleepless nights went into, thank you very much for the work @trollray @doddynco

Lars, atomed, datasting and 3 others like this.
  8. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Nice work on the cars and thank you for your work with the tracks and cars. @trollray

Youre more than welcome to use the Alfa Romeo 890T/Osella 890T V8 Turbo sound for the F1 1988 Osella car if you want to use it if you just credit me for the sound files. i think @doddynco should already have the files so it should be fairly easy to implement as it mostly mirrors the curves of the F1 1986 BMW sound.

But i know when the sounds are remade in the future so it will be even better. but these sounds are also nostalgic to me since i played the original F1 1988 mod when it was released for RF1 so its partly like i would return to the past again.

One bug that i noticed on many of the cars is that the tire sidewall goodyear text textures are inverted and reversed so the text is backwards. but i think it should be easy to just reverse the texture on a imageeditor and it will fix it.

Lars and trollray like this.
  9. trollray

trollray Registered

@EmperorOfFinland , thanks mate for letting us use the sounds. ;)
    I'm pretty sure that Doddy will do the magic. ;)
    For my case, i let him do the final statement of the 1986 and stay aware of bug and feedback to correct them asap when they are.
    I also have some ideas on some new projects but i don't tell it now ;)
    Cheers

EmperorOfFinland and atomed like this.
  10. RoWo

RoWo Member

@trollray , can you make car icons for the "new" UI?

11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Yeh sorry I know that it looks bad in the ui! I will do that for the next update.

Lars, atomed and pascom like this.
  12. vava74

vava74 Registered

Perhaps releasing Detroit without the final chicane, with updated sponsors and pit crews, as a stand alone CART track?
    Pretty please with cherry on top?

13. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Thanks so much looking forward to tryin out before the weekend.

14. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Mate, had a very, very small look at the update last night and.... WOWSERS!

This is, quite possibly, the best thing I've ever seen in sim racing. Just immense.

As a side note, Detroit is an epic track.

Thank you so very much to all involved.

Bostrom, Lars, svictor and 11 others like this.
  15. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Not to add to @trollray's work load. :) But I would love to see ISO/HSO CART 1988 and 1987 mods get this same treatment. Having the historical CART tracks that were provided with both mods would go great with Chief Wiggam's CART mods.

Great work on all of this. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, but the pics look great!

trollray, vava74 and doddynco like this.
  16. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Not to "recycle" everything, but there are loads of rF1/rF1->AMS1 mods I would love to see get this treatment. TCL is one of them!
    More of the classic tracks as well. Parts of me wish the GTPC mod where converted in it's entirety as well, even though I totally understand why not, and love what's here already :)

bears, datasting and doddynco like this.
  17. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

I noticed that the backfiring of the benetton b186 does not work

18. vava74

vava74 Registered

@PatientRF2fan had some advanced work done on Cleveland, Surfers' Paradise and Long Beach (albeit for this one, perhaps it would be better and easier to set up a cooperation with LuisB and use his Long Beach as a base and do the old layouts without the fountain).
    @fab06 gave his blessing for Cleveland's upgrade and the work on the mesh which @PatientRF2fan did was astounding (same on Surfers)...
    @EmperorOfFinland 's LongBeach79 would also be a great candidate for an upgrade...

19. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

@vava74

Well that circuit is not accurate for 1982 and 1983. there is existing tracks for that but its probably far more easier to remake the 1982 and 1983 tracks than start hacking away at the 1979 track. 3D meshes and 3D models is the thing im probably worst at. and it would require extensive 3d modellling to fix it. But if i had a dedicated 3D modeller i could probably come up with something as i can do all the rest that is required.

20. vava74

vava74 Registered

I was strictly speaking of improving your 79 Long Beach as a better looking 1979 track.