Le Mans Virtual 24 hours 2023, Verstappen rages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexHeuskat, Jan 15, 2023.

1. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

rFactor 2 has always the same issue....Respect for Max for keep playing with this game, he always has these issues.

The Le Mans Virtual Series Is DAMAGING Sim Racing!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Havner, Pawel44, Mark Lloyd and 3 others like this.
  2. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

I have said it many times and, as many times, they have turned against me, but in the end the result is always the same: by dint of wanting to bring more and more new content, the very basis of the sim is left prey to continuous bugs that are never fixed, especially in multiplayer. It happened before, it happens now and it will happen again. I think Verstappen won't be the only one uninstalling rF2 after yet another embarrassing race, and I was only too kind.

3. Terence

Terence Registered

So much potential but still far away from a Nr 1 racing sim.. To many critical features are missing. Still to many bugs and problems keeping players away from it. They stick with iracing or looking for alternatives like ams2 or hope for the upcoming Rennsport. I‘m curious how many sim racers went to iracing when they add rain this year and how many people stick with rf2. I would like to say anything else, but I‘m afraid studio397 have to make an enormous step forward to stay alive with rf2. At least a good and stable online competition system with safety rating like iracing and a proper damage model, where cars can’t crash with 200km/h, bouncing back and finish a race like LeMans as we have seen. That’s sad, because I would like to this great sim on the top of the list.

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This race should be played on a LAN or over a VPN with strict security measures, specially with some people wanting MSG/S397 to loose its licenses.

5. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Sad to see, everything was in place apart from stable servers that could handle the traffic...
    It will be hard for Rf2 to get back from this especially with Max having had enough and not mincing his words anymore, and this kind of stuff occurring ever since the 1st edition. If this happens during the maiden run people will still be kind of forgiving, but that ship has long sailed. Also the exclusivity of the licenses preventing anyone else holding officially endorsed events that do work adds more salt to the wounds.
    I'm not an irenting fan at all, but at least they could have pulled off a virtual Le Mans correctly.

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  6. jordan3878

jordan3878 Registered

I completely agree with everything Max says. This does not look good for the platform and shows little has changed since the 2020 Virtual Le Mans. Time to leave this sim for another year and see what is accomplished, what a shame.

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I remember iRacing still running 24 hour races throughout the last couple of years, while there were issues aswell, especialy with drivers not being able to connect at all and stuff like track limits, grip levels on grass leading to wonky situations aswell. It's nonesense to believe that only rF2 has issues while all the other sims work perfect, even more funny to read that sims like AMS2 are an alternative with basicly nonexistent online systems. It's also interesting that Max allways has these issues (I never had one in allmost ten years) and that people think that it's the fault of the organizers that they are ddosed. DDos attacks are criminal actions. It's the same like arguing that the Ukraine is at fault for being attacked by Russia. For anyone who thinks that there is a justified legitimation for DDos attacks has never been on the recieving end and you can be sure that iRacing would have similar issues. You are never safe against hackers.

Anyway, I am sure that they will investigate the issues and try to fix them, like it happened in the past.

8. Anthony Lineberry

Anthony Lineberry Registered

Surely you're aware that there exists solutions for DDoS mitigation... Sure someone launching a DDoS is out of their hands, but anticipating and mitigating such attacks is well within their control.

Havner, DustySticks, Ho3n3r and 2 others like this.
  9. shovas

shovas Registered

I wouldn't be too hard on rF2 having been a subscriber to iRacing for the past decade and seeing the debacles of their endurance events

That said we have to demand better

iRacing has come a long way by just being persistent and having enough endurance events to rapidly iterate their platform with

And that's the key: Just keep doing endurance events, fix the problems that come up each time, and eventually you'll pull it off

Maybe you lose the license. It doesn't matter. Just keep doing it and fixing the issues and one day people will be surprised you're pulling it off like clockwork.

That's how iRacing did it (besides grass exploits lol)

10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

It's not the same mitigating a DDoS attack to a website than a realtime high-performance simulation server. You can do it for the first, you should completely avoid it for the latter. Mitigation doesn't mean everything works fine. The latencies needed for a racing simulation are far lower than what's acceptable for a website. There's no mitigation that can keep latencies that low. Security measures have to be taken so the DDoS can't happen.

11. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Sad to see this, I only watched like about two hours, and at that time I didn´t even know Max dropped, he wasn't driving at the time.
    Another blow for rF2/MSG I am afraid.

Love the T :D

TrigMan59 likes this.
  12. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

Is bad timing that he had those issues, but sometimes it takes this situations to happens to have an evolution in the sun code
    I hope that rf2 continue to be used in these high profile events, even if they are invite only. So the developer and organization continue identifying issues and fixing them. Everyone wins.
    Also is critical that the organizers see what has happened in other events, take notes and preventing measures in their own events. A DDOS is almost a sure thing when a event is high profile as this one and they had to define countermeasures if they (or the drivers) where hit.

13. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Another nail in the coffin for MotorSports Games as the number 1 driver in the world quits in disgust and even plans on uninstalling rF2 from his PC.

Pawel44 likes this.
  14. instinkt

instinkt Registered

literally a lot changed since 2020 if I'm not mistaken whole season and also last year Le Mans had no big problems but people only remember about disasters like this since nobody talks about it if everything is fine
    and rF isn't the only game that suffered from things like this it also happened during official SRO races in ACC and also in iRacing multiple times but looks like people have goldfish memory

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  15. FERNANDO CABRERA

Also, a ddos attack can be done to the servers or the drivers... And the drivers are an easy vector, just find it's ip address and then saturate his internet connection, unless you have some corporate grade connection with your provider and guaranties countermeasures in case of an attack, your bandwidth can be exhausted sending raw traffic to you ip adress.
    If you can affect a high profile driver like Max it will give the whole event bad press as it happened.
    Don't know, maybe have those drivers or teams to be locally connected to the event and not rely on the internet?

Art_Pereira likes this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think I recall(never a great way to start something) that the first year had more than a few of the drivers relying on their Cell Phone internet connection. I know that was not the reason for the 1st year failures, but it did contribute. You would think a top flight group like Redline would have a VPN or some other sort of protection.(if that would even help vs a DOS attack)

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  17. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

Waking up to this news I feel like a shallow person for feeling so depressed about something that, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't really matter. Depressed I am though, all the same.

Roninho and mister dog like this.
  18. mister dog

mister dog Registered

As your regular physician I would recommend the intake of alcohol and tranquilizers to cope with this trauma :D

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  19. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

the guys with millions dollars like Verstappen can't enjoy rF2 Le Mans 24H race...and the poor guys likeus can't enjoy rF2 Le Mans 24H with the AI, they are broken...sad time.

20. FERNANDO CABRERA

Also it can help a therapy of 1 hour lapping you favorite car in your favorite circuit in rf2

Mark Lloyd likes this.