Intelligent Setup Advisor

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by TheBigO, Mar 4, 2022.

1. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

That is strange, but we will sort that out. Do you get the same error, when you run "Strategy Workbench" and calculate a strategy and display it in the lower right output area? Like this:

Strategy Workbench.JPG

It uses the same chart library from Google...

DA likes this.
  2. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

The problem
    I don't know, whether you have some technical understanding of Windows, but:

The root cause of the problem is the Browser setting of the Internet Explorer engine, which applications, when displaying web pages from inside an app. There is a registry setting, which defines how the engine must behave. It looks like this:

upload_2022-8-1_15-39-48.png

For all applications of "Simulator Controller" this value must be set to 9999 or 11001. I try to insert the value into the registry, when my applications start, but maybe there is something on your machine which prevents this, for example an AV application. Maybe you can check this.

Guillem Rego likes this.
  3. Guillem Rego

Guillem Rego Registered

I'll check it and I'll share results

EDIT: It was that! I didn't have the entry in the registry so I created it and it works now

4. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

Still strange. Normally, the application creates this entry itself. There must be something on your PC, which prevents that. Anyway, if you have the same problem with the other apps, for example "Strategy Workbench", the procedure is the same...

Guillem Rego likes this.
  5. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

The 2nd anniversary release of my software brings a great new feature to the Setup Advisor. The tool can now evaluate the telemetry data live and show you problems with your setup, but possibly also with your driving style while you are on the track. In the end, entries can be generated from these events in the "Setup Advisor" after selection, from which the tool can then automatically generate an adapted setup. But what am I talking about here, just watch the video.

You can download the software here: https://github.com/SeriousOldMan/Simulator-Controller#latest-release-build

And join our Discord: https://discord.gg/5N8JrNr48H

DA, Gilles Benoit, makan and 2 others like this.
  6. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Edit: This is awesome! (I didn't install the plugin before)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  7. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that. I have added the information to the documentation.

8. instinkt

instinkt Registered

I wanted to test setup analyzer and it gives me this error and doesn't register anything
    [​IMG]

9. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

Okay, it looks like you did not finish the setup process. Start "Simulator Setup" and make sure, that your simulators are detected. Go to the last page and create a configuration. If that does not work, contact me on Discord.

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5N8JrNr48H

10. instinkt

instinkt Registered

I did this before
    but then did it second time and seems like error is gone so I needed to do something incorrectly first time
    but I'm not sure if it register the thing since I had no time to boot the game to confirm :p
    but should be fine since error is not present anymore

11. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

Good to hear, but if you still have problems contact me on Discord and we will arrange for video chat.

12. Paolo Pennimpede

Paolo Pennimpede Registered

Just stuck here:

upload_2023-1-18_14-6-1.png

Now everytime I try to run simulator setup or any other .exe I have this: Immagine 2023-01-18 140900.png
    then is again stuck to the image before

13. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

This can sometimes happen due to Windows security restrictions. One possible workaround is to lower the UAC, or you can try to elevate your user to an Administrator.

If nothing works, download the software manually using the latest version link on the GitHub page and then run "Simulator Setup" from the Binaries folder as Administrator before using anything else from the software package.

If this does not work either, contact me on Discord and I will install it manually on your PC using Team Viewer...

14. Paolo Pennimpede

I work in IT so I know the usual tricks, UAC is as low as can be from day 1 in this windows installation, and my user is admin.

I downloaded this "Simulator Controller 4.4.5.0-release.zip" from github yesterday.

Today I'll try again.
    Tnx.

15. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

The command, that is run at this point is simply this PowerShell command:

Get-ChildItem -Path '.' -Recurse | Unblock-File

16. Paolo Pennimpede

upload_2023-1-19_13-39-56.png

Running "Simulator Setup.exe" as administrator.

I use powershell to run python and jupyterlab but I don't know what this "Get-ChildItem -Path '.' -Recurse | Unblock-File" do sorry

17. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

Hi Paolo,

the problem with software downloaded from the Web is, that Windows sometimes block their execution for security reasons. You can ses this by opening the property page of an Exe or an DLL file. The Powershell command tries to remove this block, but it must run with Admin privileges. For whatever reason, this seems not to work in your environment. There are ways around it, but they are very complex and nothing which can be described shortly here. Can we arrange for a Team Viewer sesssion?

In the release package of today (4.5.6), I changed the behaviour so that any errors while unblocking will be ignored. This might lead to other problems later on, but you may continue with the initial installation at least. If that succeeds, you may unblock all files (EXE, DLL) in the [Install]\Binaries folder manually using the property page. Maybe this works.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  18. Paolo Pennimpede

- Can you tell wich .exe and .dll is trying to unblock?
    - Did the software try to install something in rf2 folder?
    - Is there a way to do a manual installation?
    - In which folder I should run "Get-ChildItem -Path '.' -Recurse | Unblock-File" from powershell?

Tnx

19. TheBigO

TheBigO Registered

1. The files in question all reside in the Binaries folder.
    2. No, the installation of the RF2 shared memory plugin must be done by you. The plugin is provided in the Utilities folder. When you are using "Simulator Setup" to do the initial configuration, there will be a step which points you to the right location.
    3. Yes, absolutely. There is a short article in the FAQ section in our Discord how to do that.
    4. The unblock command should be run in the Binaries folder.

Recommendation:

1. Do a manual installation as described in the Discord:

https://discord.com/channels/852795995049558016/853855177009528852/920907009069559888

Invitation link: https://discord.gg/AMbXqRAArV

2. Unblock the files in Binaries manually using the above Powershell command.
    3. Then run "Simulator Setup" from the Binaries folder and skip the unblocking step, since it has already been done.

And, because you are going "low-level", read the stuff in the Wiki about Installation & Configuration.

Paolo Pennimpede likes this.
  20. Paolo Pennimpede

Ok I already have RF2 shared memory plugin because I use SimHub, I'll test the other advice in the next days.
    tnx