Released rFactor 2 Store | Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Once you own something in the store, it will show that you own it, even if you didn't buy it. For example, if you buy each of the BTCC cars, the store will show that you own the BTCC Car Pack 1 and 2 even if you bought them individually or as part of another pack like the Q1 and Q2 packs.

And it shouldn't let you buy a BTCC pack along with 1 of the BTCC cars in that pack in the same transaction.

But I don't think any of those limitations are in the Steam store and I'm sure there are a lot of people that have bought duplicate items either by mistake or not knowing or maybe on purpose because they determined that it was cheaper.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  2. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I was able to go right to it, using the link in your post, not even the original link. Try again.

4. Magus

Magus Registered

It was actually down for a little while with a PAGE 404 error.

haunetal1990 likes this.
  5. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

lol. now it works. Thanks

6. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

This does make the store a bit clearer. But does anyone know why rF2 uses Steam Store, rather than DLC? It's really limited compared to the normal DLC used elsewhere.

Steam Store:
    upload_2023-1-11_13-39-3.png

- Gives no idea of what you do or do not own.
    - Doesn't allow you to add items to wishlist.
    - Doesn't link the content in packs to the individual content itself. So:
    - Discounts can sometimes be applied weirdly. E.g. the 2022 complete pack costing more than the quarterly packs + 2 missing cars during the winter sales.
    - It doesn't change the price of packs if you already own some of the individual items.
    - Just looks a bit legacy compared to Steam DLC. I think it was originally just for team fortress hats, not DLC.

Steam DLC:
    upload_2023-1-11_13-55-44.png

In comparison it seems to do everything that the new in-game store does, plus more. I'm guessing there was a technical issue or something, but why did an in-game store get created rather than just moving the content to the appropriate part of the Steam store?

PirroC and FS7 like this.
  7. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

This was addressed by Marcel Offermans in an interview a few years ago.

IIRC, this was the recommendation of Valve/Steam at the time to allow the paid items to work similarly to mods in the Steam workshop and also to allow for potentially hundreds of items, which Steam said wouldn't work with DLC at that time.

Emery, Owen Pyrah and Lazza like this.
  8. RoWo

RoWo Member

Use the ingame store.

pkelly likes this.
  9. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Ah ok that makes sense. I guess at the time it would have been the best option. I guess those technical limitations may still exist otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of building the in game store.

PirroC likes this.
  10. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hi Owen,
    I'd recommend using the in game store as that will help make things a lot easier to navigate, and understand what you already own and how to best grab any additional content you want.

ICYMI check out the release post we did, that gives a bit more detail on the store if you aren't familiar with it yet: https://www.studio-397.com/2022/10/released-in-game-rfactor-2-store/

Cheers

pkelly and Owen Pyrah like this.
  11. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Yeah I've had a play about with the in game store thanks Paul. I was just wondering why you built a whole feature when just using the Steam DLC store could have solved the problem. On the face of it anyway. I imagine there must have been something stopping you from just using the Steam DLC store.

PirroC likes this.
  12. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

I obviously didn't look too closely at the in game store. With the upcoming changes to allow you to join races while only owning the car you are driving, I figured it's a great time to have a look at getting some more content. I checked my Steam inventory to remind myself what I'd bought while not at my gaming computer. I knew I already had a couple tracks and a GT3 car, but must have completely forgotten I'd also got the Nurburgring ha.
    upload_2023-2-1_14-9-49.png

I actually had the Formula Pro pack on my to-buy list. Even though I had the car already, I figured it would be good value still for Spa, Monza and the Nurburgring. Especially as the Nurburgring is more expensive than the average track due to the size of it. Can't believe I've never noticed it in my track list. Obviously haven't driven on it so far either. Must have seen it and figured it was a copy from AC or something..

13. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

If I look at the in-game store it doesn't give any indication that I already the car and Nurburgring from the Formula Pro pack.
    upload_2023-2-1_14-26-10.png

upload_2023-2-1_14-26-25.png

Should it?

The individual items work.

Attached Files:

14. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

It will tell you if buying the missing items is cheaper.

15. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

At what point would it do that? When I tried continuing it took me to Steam to complete the purchase. Or did I follow the wrong path?

Also, going through my purchase history and I can't help but think this was bargain of the century:
    upload_2023-2-1_14-45-6.png

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, I think that's normal. It's not smart enough to tell you it's cheaper to buy a remaining item (or more) rather than the pack you don't own everything in. It's only smart enough to tell you if some items you're buying will be cheaper to get by buying a pack.

Owen Pyrah likes this.
  17. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Well who am I to judge as I was nearly not smart enough to realise I was about to buy a pack where I already owned half the content.

pkelly likes this.
  18. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Used the in-game store last night to buy the 992 Porsche Cup. Proper seamless experience. I expected to need to exit and enter the game again but it just did the Steamy bits in the overlay and then loaded directly into the game and away I went. Nice addition I think.

pkelly and Lazza like this.
  19. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

and I add raceroom makes a discount at the day one release for each new DLC....

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

My local supermarket have stuff half price all the time! I wish rF2 would do that!