Two weird problems.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Fired up this game after a while and encountered two problems, maybe you know of this since I was out for a while and is it common knowledge?
    First one is the sound: a lot of "older" mods, not just 3pa but factory too, have low engine sounds and a lot of wind noise and other noises. Is that a thing? Should I do something special?

The other is a bit weirder.
    When I steer the wheel to the left, at exactly the halfway mark of how far it goes, the car shifts in neutral.....
    To the right; no problem.
    Go into another car with more angle: it happens later in the turn, but at halfway: neutral.

It doesn't shift down; it goes in N also when it is in reverse, in 3th or whatever.
    When I use a stick shift and leave it in 4th for instance, it goes out- and in 4th with the wheel being at that exact point, moving it around a bit. (4th-N-4th-N)
    There was no button configured to neutral: I did that (just a button on my keyboard that I don't touch) and it stays the same.
    I went into the device manager to see if a button lit up when I steer; no.
    Other games don't do this and so I think its not the wheel.
    The wheel in question is a Thrustmaster TS-PC with the F1 add-on. The shifter and pedals are Logitech G27, making contact with the system via the G27 wheel out of power. There is also a load-cel in the brake.
    But I don't see how this can be the problem: in my mind it has to be the game.
    I configured the wheel over several times, as another wheel too: no solution.

Any ideas guys?

2. Emery

Emery Registered

No clue on that steering and shifter.

For sound, there is a new sound system as of May 2022 and Lazza posted a guide. New Sound Engine - Settings | Studio-397 Forum. For modders, the documentation (er, sample use) is finally available in ModDev as of last week.

Navigator likes this.
  3. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I have a TSPC racer as well at least until my GPRO DD arrives:D

i recommend to scrap your controller preset and start fresh
    File is in users data

Navigator likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Take out all assignments for gears. Only have shift up, shift down and neutral. When you calibrate, move the wheel ALL THE WAY TO THE STOP, both left and right. Hold at the end of travel and click the max rotation R & L buttons. Then center wheel and click on the center button. That is just to avoid any potential conflicts, I doubt it will help.
    Your symptoms almost sound like a dirty pot throwing out bad data that rF2 picks up on.
    One thing you have to get out of your head.....this 'It doesn't happen in other games..." rF2 is not a sane program, it does not operate as nicely with windows & hardware as other products. MOST of the time, things are fine, but there always seems to be unique issues where the user claims it only happens in rF2.
    You can try several avenues. Remove as many USB controllers as possible. Change USB ports, Stress test your power supply.
    As far as sound, S397 introduced a new sound engine this past year and it conflicts with older content. You can try adjusting the sliders under LEGACY in the sound option. The other sliders are for the updated cars like the Oreca 07, the GTE cars, BTCC, and more of the newer releases. (think since the IR18) I reduced the first legacy slider to around 10% just so I could hear engines. Once you drive the newer cars, you will find you only hear the engines when you are being passed. Totally different experience.

Navigator likes this.
  5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Sound has changed a lot. Now it's positional. That means, on some cars like the openwheelers the engine sound will come from behind and other sounds like the wind that were buried in the mix, now will be more prominent. There's some legacy volume sliders if you don't like that and want to change it but the aim is for realism.

Some mods may need adjustment but even with adjustments they won't sound the same anyway since the update.

Navigator likes this.
  6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks guys, that is some good information!
    Just woke up, have to pay visits, but tonight I'm going to bring all I learned into practice and wil report back.
    Thanks guys!

Emery likes this.
  7. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

About sound.
    If you have "sonic sound", try disable it, maybe this can help you?

Attached Files:

Navigator likes this.
  8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

......and reporting back!

Now the sound isn't a big problem: knowing the Legacy thing, reading the tut, playing around: that's pretty much okay now.
    Thanks for that!

The wheel and neutral; I tried everything you guys said and more I came up with fiddling around.....with no result.
    I also played around with the wheel max: going from 1080 to 900 and so on, let it choose in game, not in game, software/device and all that kind of stuff. All I could think of; no.
    It's pretty strange, right?
    So yeah, it could be a potmeter acting up, but the wheel is pretty new; one wouldn't suspect that one right away. The more because it seems good in device manager, doesn't do it in other games and so on. I know that I can't state the "other games thing", but there must be something to base my conclusions on, right?
    Anyway, whatever it is; its odd and I can't seem to find a solution :(

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you haven't already, remove/rename your controller.json file and start from fresh. I've seen some weird stuff get fixed by doing that, without needing a whole new userdata etc... (which you can hopefully avoid)

Navigator likes this.
  10. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

The wheel to the left thing is indeed a bit weird.
    The 4th-N-4th-N is not. You have a "keep button pushed in to keep it in gear" in rF2. It sounds like your shifter isn't constantly pushing down 4th. I got the same in 1st and 2nd, but I know it is my shifter.
    Might be something along the same things happening when you turn left, but why, idk.

Navigator likes this.
  11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for your response guys!

Sadly; I started off with the json removal and it didn't do the trick for me.
    The user data.......now you say this......yeah, I suppose this has to be the next step as I think I did all there is to do.

As for the "keep button pushed to keep it in gear", that could indeed be the shifter, but the 4th was just an example as it does the same in every gear. But also; when I just put it in gear (any) by the flippers and don't use the shifter at all. However; then it goes into N and doesn't get back in that gear (but thats "off course" in my opinion).
    Plus, if the shifter was bad; I would think it does something like that when I bump my knee on the support bracket or something, not when I turn the wheel at exactly "halfway the degrees it goes to the left", the more there the wheel is totally separate from the shifter.

12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I wouldn't trust the G27. Can you disconnect it and try without it? Even if it's powered off it can give readings for all the axes and buttons.

Navigator likes this.
  13. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

This is very weird. But you do have two wheels connected, as you have the shifter connected to the G27 base, but not using that wheel?
    Sounds a tiny bit messy. I went with bodnar-cables on pedals and shifter when I started to mix stuff.

Navigator and Emery like this.
  14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks guys!

I didn't think of disconnecting the G27 and I will do so tonight!
    And yes, I have the original G27 still present although I stripped the casing.
    I did look at the Bodnar thing but there was something that threw me off. Wasn't it so that the box could only handle or the pedals or the shifter? Also, there was something making me not sure if the load-cell in the brake pedal would work.
    Since the Bodnar stuff is "expensive", I first tried this option, it worked fine and kept it ever since.
    It is messy, but it works.....well, worked until now, with this particular game.

I will report back again, thanks guys!

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

SOLVED! :)

Well, I went to check the integrity of the files, went back to the last stable build, disconnected the G27 (started off with that) and it kept on doing the N thing.
    Then I deleted some button assignments, nothing.
    Deleted all buttons except for the steering and ignition: solved! Reassigned the buttons; it didn't come back.......
    So......what it was? No clue, but its fine now!

Thanks guys, got it solved thanks to you all and I'm a happy camper now! :)

Myrvold, pkelly, nolive721 and 3 others like this.