Huge Frame drops in VR (Purple lag spikes) - unplayable on each setting with the Reverb G2 / 3080

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by TurboHenk, Jul 16, 2021.

1. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Hi, I play one year now rFactor 2 with the G2 VR. the stutter (purple peakes) are ONLY in some tracks, older tracks. Canadian tire, Magny cours ..... but normal not. try Brands Hatch, NO peakes. New tracks ... no peakes. I test a lot too, I use the last nvidia driver 512.15

I found a performance isue / purple spikes on server where some people has custom skins on her cars. No custom skin, no peakes. crazy but I think is has something to do with bad optimization in VR with the skins, same with some older tracks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  2. Enric Miro Barba

Enric Miro Barba Registered

I'm with dropped frames in any comunity with +30 cars on track. Now on LFM (30 cars on server and more), I didn't have noticiable droppd frames (I am with openxr and can't see fpsvr, but I don't see DFrames anymore. I'm using Process Lasso, and maybe it makes diference I hope.
    But reading DjChrizz last post, take sense that in LFM servers, there are not custom skins, sooo, I will wait to the next VEC race to know why is so good playing in LFM, with lot of people and no dropped frames at all,

3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Has anyone had a chance to try the G2 with a 4090 to see if there are still issues?

I’m actively looking for my next VR headset (been on a CV1 for years) and was just starting to settle on the G2 when I found this thread…

4. Enric Miro Barba

Enric Miro Barba Registered

Tonight, race on Speedinlive comunity, this time only 11 cars , Road America, OpenXR , medium settings, lots of dropped frames. I don’t understand nothing. There are custom skins there. On LFM with 30 cars and settings high no dropped frames. Maybe the custom skins, as @DJChrizz said, are the problem then?

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

search 4090 and you should find threads. VR is dependant also upon CPU according to those threads, an average cpu can't leverage the top vid cards it would appear.

MileSeven likes this.
  6. vava74

vava74 Registered

Not sure if anyone mentioned this here, but a few months ago, there was an optional W10 update that cratered performance, causing huge stuttering.
    Same happened recently with some titles - even on pancake mode - on W11, also after an update (in this case, not sure if it was optional or not as I do not use W11).

7. vava74

vava74 Registered

Digga’s tracks are poorly optimised. The “esses” @ Road Atlanta is a very messy area, particularly with low sun from the horizon there.
    Okayama with morning sun reflecting on the glass, ditto.

8. marklar

marklar Registered

This thread was started in mid 2021, long before this w10 update. It’s clearly something wrong with rf2 as no other games suffer from this bug, at least in my case. I am giving up with this game. 1.5 year later and still no solution!

9. vava74

vava74 Registered

But many people don't experience the same level of issues as you are.
    Personally I believe that the problem is linked to scheduling issues between rFactor 2 and Windows, hence I shut down a number of apps which could interfere from time to time and don't leave anything running but rf2.
    I also gave the highest priority on task manager to rf2 and WMR to reduce the chances of such interferences.
    And, obviously, I am using OpenXR which made a huge difference in performance.

10. marklar

marklar Registered

It does not. The only difference it makes is that it interpolates 2 frames from one rendered frame, which means you can have motion smoothing if your PC is unable to render 45+ fps. I have the same frametimes and fps with steamvr and openxr.

11. vava74

vava74 Registered

You are being a contrarian.
    It makes a huge difference and even Kelju who was a staunch defender of the non existence of a performance gain is now a convert.
    We are talking about a large number of people who verified it AND don’t use reprojection.

pilAUTO likes this.
  12. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Out of interest, am I correct in thinking that to use OpenXR, I download the WMR dev tools app from the Windows store and then switch the active profile from Steam to Open?

I tried this last night, fired up rf2, started to drive out onto track - and then the graphics hung (but sound and FFB remained active). It wasn’t using SteamVR (although that may have still been running in the background) as the fpsVR app wasn’t visible.

I was then hit with a burst pipe emergency and haven’t had a chance to try again!

(13th gen i9, 4090, HP Reverb G2)

With SteamVR, I can manage 90fps pretty easily - but with frequent frame drops (at 3rd party tracks - again, haven’t had a real chance to test extensively) and GPU usage rarely exceeds around 60%. I did try upping the NVidia frame rate cap from 90 to 100 in case that artificial limit was preventing dropped frames from being ‘replaced’. (Motion smoothing is off) but with no major improvement.

13. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

100% wrong
    Openxr made huge difference for non steam vr hmd
    And there is no longer the W11 issue with wmr since last update about 2 weeks ago, but before it was unplayable (there were an easy workaround).

Test with my settings some pages back as a basis (for example).

vava74 likes this.
  14. vava74

vava74 Registered

OpenXR Development Tools + (install OpenXR *.dll file replacing the "native" in your rfactor2/Bin64 folder+ opencomposit.ini which is a settings file where you can correct the flipped track loading screen, as well as to crop the image being rendered, but cutting the top and bottom a bit like helmet cam) + OpenXR Toolkit (which allows foveated rendering, colour balance and tweaks, with a quick "sunglasses effect (light-medium-dark)", allows as well to reduce the size of the image both horizontally and vertically).

With all the above together, you should be able to use the "High" preset during daylight conditions and a toned down version to include night and rain.

Head over to S397's Discord for a more hands on help and extra info as there are guys there which are more knowledgeable than me.

MileSeven likes this.
  15. marklar

marklar Registered

Please tell me where is that huge difference because I don't see it and I try really hard?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Magus

Magus Registered

I think people maybe confusing OpenXR against using Opencomposite.dll with the OpenXR Toolkit, with the latter showing gains against SteamVR & SteamVR with OpenXR.

pilAUTO likes this.
  17. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ve posted on Discord that I’ve managed to get this working (so rf2 launches without SteamVR and the OpenXR toolkit menus work, but…

…with the same rf2 widget profile, I’m getting just 40fps using OpenXR and 90fps with SteamVR for the same offline race conditions (a thoroughly wet mx5 race with 15 ai cars).

So,ething is decidedly unhappy!

18. marklar

marklar Registered

There is no such thing as Opencomposite.dll. I use openvr_api.dll from https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR. Is there any other magic file I should try?

19. marklar

marklar Registered

Do you have the same render scale set in OpenXR Tools for WMR as you have in SteamVR? By default it's set to Auto which is twice the size of Reverb G2 native resolution.

20. Magus

Magus Registered

That's the one. I use the Opencomposite Launcher for system wide installation and with that I use the OpenXR toolkit.