Another FFB Question

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Gary_S85, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

So I am getting more and more into RF2 and am noticing some cars have no FFB. Formula Renault, Formula isi, formula 2.....add this to the inconsistency of FFB across the board. I am just trying to understand what is going on with my settings, or is it a case where some cars are just bugged. I tried increasing caster and FFB on the Formula Renault to try get some feeling on the steering axis...then I rode a kerb and the wheel almost broke my wrists. Is this normal or is it just a case that some cars are totally broken?

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

There's definitely something wrong with your setup but I don't know what.

3. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

So just to confirm, with the Formula ISI and Formula 2 car, Formula Renault 2014 etc, you get normal FFB, the same that you get on say, the Vanwall or one of the BTCC cars etc?
    On my wheelbase, these cars offer no real FFB at all. I have a Fanatec DD2, and I have even tried running this with filters turned off too.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't driven the FISI for some time, and I know there are some obscure gremlins around at the moment following some of the recent 'refactoring' mentioned in the build update, so might be worth giving that a shot. Drove it, and mods based closely on it, for 6 years back in the day - so apart from the FFB being heavier at high speed (due to aero load) it should feel pretty normal. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

F2 is a special case, if it's the one I'm remembering. It has a high caster option to appease those wanting a normal feel, but it was said at the time the realistic option was the default one.

5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I have strong FFB with the Formula ISI (Fanatec CSL DD). The Formula 2 has slightly lighter FFB, but still strong enough if you don't over slip the front tires.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Gary_S85 can you share your controller.ini?

7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I've tested now all 3 cars just in case something had changed in the latest updates and they have perfectly working FFB just like any other car.

8. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Just piggybacking this thread. I too have noticed that some cars have very little FFB. For example, the Caterham, I have my FFB set at 330% for that car whilst others are 80-100%. The McLaren MP4-13 is similar.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The Caterham produces ~6Nm forces in the physics on a pretty much default setup, depending what you're doing with your wheel strength and scaling maybe you're effectively turning it right down.

10. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Thanks for the quick reply. My wheel setup (fanatec DD2) is exactly the same as I use for other cars which behave normally.

Maybe I'll delete the Caterham and let it reinstall. I did this with the Dallara IR18 and that fixed an FFB issue that I had experienced for a long time.

11. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This thread should be about the old ISI content in OP's post not having FFB. Or it will end up being another generic complaining thread and nothing will be solved.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    pilAUTO likes this.
  12. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

13. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

I'll share it tomorrow when I get to the sim, I'll be out this evening at a work event so won't be able to pull it tonight.
    Again, there is feedback through the wheel, just barely any cornering forces....but if I hit a kerb or bump etc...they wheel comes alive.
    There is also sometimes an experience of caster steer on the (I think it was F2 - I drove a lot of open wheelers yesterday) and it felt really weird, beyond a certain steering angle, the steering went completely light.
    I did then drive the various Tatuus F4 and F3 cars etc, and these were very nice. Still some adjustment was needed to tone down the kerb rattling....but with some damping added it seemed OK.

Just out of interest, what are fanatec users driving at in Fanalab?

14. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious to you but just be aware that beyond a certain slip angle self aligning torque does become weaker IRL.

Bernat likes this.
  15. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

Ah yes I know that. I done a quick drive in formula Renault 2014 last night. Again, barely any ffb on cornering forces. There was kerb ffb etc. Another fanatec user also reviewed on the steam workshop that he also had no ffb. I really don't understand it. Same with f2 and f isi.
    Could be a fanatec thing, but that doesn't make sense.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Any updates @Gary_S85 ?

Also, as well as the controller.json (went back in time with my .ini reference above...) can you screenshot your fanatec settings? Not sure if you're using user-recommended settings, or the fanatec-recommended (not advisable, I gather), or something different again, that could be having an effect.

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What IS the difference between a json and ini file?

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're asking seriously? They have different formats. Google it.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

will do, since they both worked with most text editors, I assumed they were just different versions of the same thing.