Recommended button mappings for Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emery, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

I now have a Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel in my hands. It's been converted by SRM for use with a Simucube 2 (drive won't arrive until next week). Anybody have button mappings they recommend? Usage for this wheel will be GT3 & modern formula cars including Formula E.

I hear the rotary switches are next to useless, especially after the SRM conversion?

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Here's what I've made of it so far. Took me too long to realize the top two rotaries are encoders rather than switches, so they were easier to use than expected. Obviously the shifter and clutch paddles are assigned their regular duties.

upload_2022-11-17_20-16-8.png

3. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

Yeah i have this wheel too, where is you MFD cycle button and your pitmenu button?

This is a good wheel, light and right size, however the button placement is not so good, e.g. the multipoint switch bottom left is not easily reachable. This is the main thing I use to navigate pit menu.

Now rf2 has light flasher you might want button for that. I also have VR recenter bound but that is only for VR.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

If I weren't building a separate button box, then the currently unassigned funky switch would handle the pit menu & its navigation. The headlight flasher is planned for the separate button box, but I might change my mind.

And where is my DRS button (rear flap)? So that's what unassigned buttons are for... and probably swap position of Push2Pass/Attack Mode for DRS or make it triple function; need to examine whether any cars use more than one of those choices.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  5. J0E

J0E Registered

If you intend to race in VR, it helps a little to try to map the buttons on the in-car wheel with the ones on the physical wheel. I use VoiceAttack to map my wheel buttons. It has programmable key macros. One of the things I find useful is that you can have one button do different things depending on whether you press it once or double-click it. I should confess, my FormulaE/Oreca wheel is not set up like the wheel in the in-car view. That just didn't work, but it was my original plan.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Triple screens here. After a couple years of wearing a mask to cover nose & mouth, I'm really not inclined to have my eyes wearing a mask, LOL.

7. cossifreak88

cossifreak88 Registered

How did you assign the rotary knobs?

Unfortunately, I can't get the rotary knobs to work with my McLaren steering wheel.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Went to assign Mixture +, turned knob one notch counter-clockwise. Then went to assign Mixture -, turned knob one notch clockwise. Repeat with other switch for the Engine Brake Map + & -. Then tested in the pits with a car that supports those features.

It's possible I got them working by fiddling with the center knob that can't be assigned, but... well, I was just fiddling and not being methodical. They haven't stopped working.

Also note this is the McLaren v2 wheel and not the v1. I understand there is a difference between the versions.

9. cossifreak88

cossifreak88 Registered

And did you have the MPS on Pulse, Constant or Auto?

10. Emery

Emery Registered

I dunno (because fiddling), but I think Pulse would be the correct choice.