RTX4090 and rfactor2 VR Performance.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Oct 16, 2022.

1. vava74

vava74 Registered

Performance on the new build seems better.
    Hopefully not placebo effect :-D

Craig Waddell likes this.
  2. vava74

vava74 Registered

There is a crossover point, I believe, which involves also what eye candy you select to have and how many visible cars as well.
    Are you using "opponent detail" LOW (or medium), with opponent textures override on the player.json file?
    If not, the value to be introduced is "3", whereby the polygons will be lower (as set on the UI), but the high quality textures will mask that quite effectively.

3. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

He vava, can you elaborate this tweak please. I'm interested in applying it to my config if that yields better fps

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  4. vava74

vava74 Registered

In game, in the UI, set opponents detail to "LOW" (or Medium, depending on how much you are bothered with some pop-up/pop-off of certain parts of the opponents' cars (normally not very significant).
    Once you have done this, exit RF2 and open with the notepad the file "player.json"
    Search "opponent textures override" and change the number which will be there to "3".
    Save and close notepad
    Boot rF2 and that's it.

Emery, FERNANDO CABRERA and atomed like this.
  5. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Thanks for great tip that has had a positive effect to my VR experience. It's such a shame that RF2 is so complex to configure.

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

What does actually do this setting?!

7. Emery

Emery Registered

I believe it has fewer polygons to render, but with high resolution textures so the cars still look nice. Popups may or may not bother you, which is why he suggests Medium instead of Low if they do bother you.

Kelju_K, vava74 and GTClub_wajdi like this.
  8. Daniele Lillati

Daniele Lillati Registered

I have a 3080. I tried it last night but sadly it didn't work. With Alpine at the sachsenring and 20 online opponents it starts to lose fps. Same thing last week at LeMans. Too bad because in VR, driving alone, it's amazing. We hope the developers optimize the simulator for VR, especially for night and rain.

9. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe it's about stepping down expectations:
    When dealing with VR and simracing you can easily reach "physical" limit of your card: it's quite easy doing so : 90Hz monitors x 2 = 180FPS, resolution of each display (for example G2) over 3000x3000 pixels . If you don't saturate compute power of your GPU you can saturate Vmem bandwidth, or Vport bandwidth. So compromises must be made, and your best bet is crank down resolution, and/or FPS (60hz or allowing motion smoothing). You may even discover that it's not only RF2 fault.
    I run VR on a G2 pushed by a GTX1080, so I know that I can't have it all, but the same apply to your 3090, just a bit higher.

10. Daniele Lillati

Absolutely I don't keep everything at maximum, in fact many things are on low. Before writing I did a lot of tests. What resolutions do you keep the G2 at?

11. vava74

vava74 Registered

Many mod tracks are poorly optimised. This is the case of most of the tracks which Digga/OBD has either finished converting to rF2 or "face-lifted".

12. Daniele Lillati

LeMans is not a MOD it is an official content. I bought almost all the official content, but if I can't use it for online competitions I don't think I will continue to buy other content.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You are correct, Le Mans is NOT a mod, but one of the largest tracks you can buy. It CONSUMES VideoRam and the AI eat CPU cycles.

14. vava74

vava74 Registered

You could have other issues on your install.
    There are many cases of people having a poorly performing rF2 install for reasons which are difficult to track down.
    Also, are you using OpenXR or SteamVR? OpenXR is much better performance wise (combined with OpenXR Toolkit, although here it seems that the best version is not the latest).
    Also, instead of running the G2 at full resolution, you should try lowering it on OpenXR Tools (a Microsoft/Windows app, ie. not the toolkit) at 80% for online racing.

15. vava74

vava74 Registered

Basically other people at LFM manage to race online in VR with what I believe are similar specs.
    What CPU and RAM do you have?

16. Daniele Lillati

Thanks for your help. Yes, I use OpenXR. I have an i7 11700 and 32Gb of RAM. I will try to lower the resolution of the G2 to 80%.

17. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

There is a major problem with windows 11 right now.

Really major for VR via WMR (G2,.....).

To solve the problem until Microsoft solve it, every time you start WMR or your headset (every time), you do the following : problem 100% solved.

WINDOWS KEY + X :

"Go to Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions.

In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’."

20 sec and its ok.

18. vava74

vava74 Registered

I think there is something "fishy" about how your PC is running rF2. You should be able to race in normal conditions (rain and night is a different matter).
    One thing that you could try is to go to task manager and with rF2 and WMR running give to those processes (right click over the process) high priority (I have no idea if this is relevant, but VR is very much influenced by Windows' interference).
    Also, I don't use the mirror image on the monitor (yes, a bit of a drag, but everything might help a bit).
    Finally, back in May there was an optional Windows 10 update that was a FPS killer and on Windows 11 there was as well something that destroyed FPS and required some tweaks to restore proper functioning.

19. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

A 4090 is more than enough to obtain beautiful graphics with 100% perfect performance with an equivalent and even better headset than the G2.

I'll give you the example of my hardware :

i7 9700k @5 Ghz, 16 GB 4000 Cl18, 2080 ti OC, SSD.

The performances are perfect almost all the time, it is rare that there are slight performance problems.

I almost only use the AAA laser or non-laser tracks of S397, and almost only the cars of S397.

Important to note even if you will see it in the table, no rain or wet track, time only 01:30 PM.

The image is magnificent.

I just installed the latest version of OpenXR Toolkit, I activate the CAS to the maximum, the sharpness is incredible.

ALL THE SETTINGS ARE HERE :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1go3ABXH_n0j72vn1MVr5IQpPZ5-ITaUo/view?usp=drivesdk

20. Comante

Comante Registered

Hi for starter, lately I've not played a lot, anyway I use RF2 with OpenXR at 50% resolution that mean native screen resolution (2160x2160) Depending what I do, I'm still trying to decide if I want to aim at 90Hz (to avoid the white flickering) and motion smoothing (that usually is not to bad for me) or try to use 60Hz without motion smoothing. For the ingame detail I try to keep the track at high, the opponent on low and 12 visible cars, that seems little but usually are more than enough. I try to avoid MSAAx2 but tracks with a lot of steel guardrails are too disturbing for me, so usually I use it.
    I use a bit of FSR to reduce the load a bit further but not much because it worsen the guardrail shimmering.

All in all I'm happy that I can enjoy RF2 on a 6 Y/O card, maybe the visual candy is quite bare, but if I can focus on driving I could drive on wireframe graphics and not realize it.