Silverstone to be Removed From Workshop 25.11.2022

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

[​IMG]

pascom likes this.
  2. Flerbizky

Flerbizky Registered

Well - I do see a nice long back straight right there ;)

Eric Rowland likes this.
  3. gianluca

gianluca Registered

Oh dear, this will set RD on fire!

Eric Rowland likes this.
  4. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I wonder where Ian and Austin are going to come up with the million pounds to license Silverstone for their new game.

I mean if he can pull crap out of his rear end, so can I, right?

MarcG likes this.
  5. gianluca

gianluca Registered

These?
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1238534608
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933467320
    Subscribe to them and go look for the workshop folders 933467320 and 1238534608 for their rfcmp

[edit]
    Funny thing, if we look for them within the S397 workshop files, they don't appear anymore, but google search show them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  6. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

That's tragic !

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

navigate in windows to the Steam workshop folders.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960\917387157. The Silverstone file is located in that last folder. Use 7zip or other compressing program to copy the track file. Silverstone.rfcmp. Then you can move it to a safe location until you may, at some point, need it again.

ThomasJohansen and sg333 like this.
  8. gianluca

gianluca Registered

I don't have great expectations for that game. They need to invest at least 6 millions to make a proper GTR remaster. Even if they start a new WMD platform to help funding the game and find testers, they won't raise the same numbers of pCars 1 (the backers alone collected €2.298.970). That funding system was closed by the UK autorities and this time they probably just offer the game's key and some merchandising to the backers, like Kickstarter. So, most likely there will be less testers and less motivated and this means that the game will have more bugs than pCars at release.
    Also, this time around they are going to use a 3rd party game engine, probably Unreal Engine, and this will cost them money, even if they make a custom license with Epic. Not to say the time to learn how to work with it.
    But they have ogonovski as their lead game designer this time, so everything's fine.

9. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

Thanks so much for this information. I've never known the path to the rfcmp files. There was another recent licence cancellation. Was it Monaco e Prix or Circuit d'Azur? Thanks again for the help.

lagg likes this.
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

It was the ePrix.

Mark Lloyd and lagg like this.
  11. gianluca

gianluca Registered

Out of curiosity, since I missed this news, did the dlc owners get a refund?

I'm kinda worried after reading this thread. Do we have to backup the game content? :)

12. lagg

lagg Registered

The owners can continue using the circuit.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It wouldn't hurt. Honestly though, do you think, when ISI originally licensed Silverstone for rF2, did ISI even remotely think the game would still be going strong 10 years later? I'm willing to bet that 10 years would have been beyond their wildest dreams.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  14. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

So it wasn't necessary to back up the Monaco rfcmp files for a future reinstall?

pilAUTO likes this.
  15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

No, it exists in your inventory.

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  16. gianluca

gianluca Registered

I honestly find ridiculous that these licenses come with a time limit. NKP has Osella and Fiat and they are still there, with the game now free. AC is still there. RF 1 is available. Test Drive Ferrari Driving Legends by SMS is still there. Same goes for Race: the WTTC game. And I'm pretty sure that most of the racing games that have been released on console two decades ago, can still be downloaded and played in modern consoles.
    I can't imagine Kunos licensing content for a limited period of time: you acquire the license for a certain game, period.
    I can only think that things have changed in recent years: the videogame industry is now bigger than Hollywood and probably the licences are now way more expensive than before. But the Monaco E-Prix track is two years old if I remember well. That's ridiculous: Monaco is still in the 2023 FE calendar. I mean, for the developer is not even worth it to acquire the license then, not to say making the track or car.

I'd say, go for cars and tracks for which they can get lifetime license then.

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I smell a LS version incoming, wich comes at a price though while a cheaper track get's offered for free. I suspect offering AAA tracks for free doesn't work anymore. But if the newest tracks and their quality are anything to go by then it might be well worth it. It's incredible how even a seemingly boring track like Barhain can be an outstanding experience. The question is, wich will be the free track to replace Silverstone? Maybe another Indycar track? Can we get a hint on where it's located?

18. RoWo

RoWo Member

Back to the announcement: Will it still be possible, to use the Silverstone track for league races, also with broadcast? Or is that then an illegal thing?
    @Paul Jeffrey

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  19. lagg

lagg Registered

They use the F1 layout, not the old FE one.

Emery, gianluca and Mark Lloyd like this.
  20. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I don't think it's illegal. You didn't need a license before to do those things and you won't need it now. I mean it was Studio 397 that needed a license to distribute and advertise the track. Don't let anyone download it from the server though.

atomed likes this.